• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long Range Target Scope for AR-15?

I'm interested in getting is decent quality rifle scope for my match grade AR-15. I'm not interested in a tactical scope. I want something where I can reliably put a shot in the X-ring at 300 yards or greater. My current "el cheapo" BSA doesn't have enough magnification or a clear enough image to be of any use beyond 200 yards. Any suggestions?

Well, I'm HOPING (perhaps in vain) for something under $500. I'm not sure this is realistic. I've seen the high-end scopes going for two and three thousand dollars and there's just no way I could fork that over and not end up in divorce court.

I've had excellent luck with my Super Sniper 10x on a Bushmaster Predator. I think the scopes were originally made by Tasco. Apparently they are now being made by SWFA. This one looks identical to the one I have. They have several other similar models ranging in price from ~$300 to ~$800.

Seems like a lot of scope for the money. I've had no trouble with mine over the last couple of years. Glass is clear, adjustments are sure and easy, and it holds zero. Easily effective out to 300+ yards.

BTW, here's a link to the entire SWFA SS scope lineup.

Last edited:
I've had excellent luck with my Super Sniper 10x on a Bushmaster Predator. I think the scopes were originally made by Tasco. Apparently they are now being made by SWFA. This one looks identical to the one I have. They have several other similar models ranging in price from ~$300 to ~$800.

Seems like a lot of scope for the money. I've had no trouble with mine over the last couple of years. Glass is clear, adjustments are sure and easy, and it holds zero. Easily effective out to 300+ yards.

BTW, here's a link to the entire SWFA SS scope lineup.

Beat me to it. Best bang for the buck I have ever spent. Kenton Industries make custom BDCs for it as well.. I am damn happy with mine. http://www.kentonindustries.com/

These work pretty good to place bullet after bullet in a 300 yard NRA target's X ring:

DSC00407.jpg

i have a millet scope, its big but it is very clear and consistent so far.

I was actually looking at millet at first, but ended up going with SS b/c of backorder issues, then later some bad reviews. How do you like it? I have heard hit or miss reviews.. if it works for folks the love it, if not they don't. It seemed like a good bang for the buck.

I like it, no problems so far. The illuminated reticle is pretty sweet also. The glass is very bright, I can see fine in low moonlight at max mag (26x I believe). If I was going hunting or trecking through the woods with it, it might be a little on the large side but the rifle is a range queen so it doesn't matter.

2010-02-20%2014.59.04.jpg

I like it, no problems so far. The illuminated reticle is pretty sweet also. The glass is very bright, I can see fine in low moonlight at max mag (26x I believe). If I was going hunting or trecking through the woods with it, it might be a little on the large side but the rifle is a range queen so it doesn't matter.

And a nice looking one at that! Thanks for the report.

I hear nothing but good about the Super Snipers. Don't get hung up on magnification. I used to compete at 1,000 yards with 16X and the scope was not what was limiting me. For <600 yards 10X is plenty. I would go with a 3-12X or 4-16X so you can find your target when not on the bi-pod or sling.

I prefer a mil-dot reticle. I set zero for 100 yards and use the dots for hold-over out to several hundred yards. This way I don't need those tall tactical knobs that I worry about breaking off and dust getting into their seals.

I'm interested in getting is decent quality rifle scope for my match grade AR-15. I'm not interested in a tactical scope. I want something where I can reliably put a shot in the X-ring at 300 yards or greater. My current "el cheapo" BSA doesn't have enough magnification or a clear enough image to be of any use beyond 200 yards. Any suggestions?

You might also consider a leupold MK2, nice glass and not terribly expensive, look at sightron as well. I have both a MK2 and an S3 and they are great.

You might also consider a leupold MK2, nice glass and not terribly expensive, look at sightron as well. I have both a MK2 and an S3 and they are great.

This.
I have a Sightron and it's excellent glass, expecially for the $. I will say I am hearing Leupold isn't quite as top notch as they used to be.

Back
Top Bottom