Longest QSO distance wise

Well, 20M was open tonight.

I caught A61HA on 14.275.

That is a UAE call sign!

DAMN!!!! This was on a quarter wave ham stick dipole!

I can only imagine what I'll get once my 80M dipole goes up!!!

What is your farthest phone QSO?

New Zealand and Australia are tough but doable on wire antennas. I think that is a far as we can go.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Asia is tough from here, as are the pacific islands. I've worked Siberia with 100w and a wire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I worked Guam with my current set up last November on 15 meters . Set up is an original IC706 with an LDG IT-100 tuner feeding a 147' dipole fed with 450Ω ladder line up about 50'.

Back when I had legal limit and a 5 element beam on 20 on an 80' tower (in the 90's) I could hear myself circumventing the globe. Hit a dit on my key on CW and I could hear my slightly delayed signal on a separate receiver.

Antarctica, 10,700 miles CW. Best was the first (isn't it always that way) because I was using my 3W QRP rig. That's almost 3,700 miles/W. Antenna was a simple 63' long end fed half wave wire up about 50'.

Last week I worked Israel and Greece and during winter I worked Tasmania and Japan on 20m mini hamstick vertical dipole. JT65 and JT9 about 30 watts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Dubai guy had been on a lot lately. I got a -15db JT9 signal to him as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in the 80's I worked Siple Station in Antartica. It was a Navy guy and did a phone patch to Maine so he could talk to his parents up there. Long time ago, but great fun, haven't been active for years, should get back into it.

I never got around to it. Besides, while my QRO rig was in the shop I made a ton of CW QSOs that were over 1,000 miles/W. It started to feel commonplace. CW rocks.

7843 miles to South Africa ,SSB QRP.....5 w. Off dipole up 45'. It helps living on the Cape!!
KC1DQR

I think I hate you now! [rofl2] Jealous.

I'll be hoisting up my 80m OCF dipole tomorrow with the help of my tree guy. Cannot wait! Also upgrading my 2m/440 antenna to a Diamond X510 from an x50. Adding 5 feet to the mast so I'm hoping the added height increases my ability to do longer range simplex. Fingers crossed there.

I am currently at 265 confirmed for DXCC, so that does mean I have a few to choose from (although I stopped chasing a few years ago). [grin]

However, if the criteria is strictly distance I would have to say ZL on the "long path" which would be about 25500 km (15845 miles).

7843 miles to South Africa ,SSB QRP.....5 w. Off dipole up 45'. It helps living on the Cape!!
KC1DQR

The 'Cape of Good Hope' ?

ETA someday I'm going to make the DXCC Honor Roll. Only 148 entities to go. And the DXCC Challenge. Only 390 to go on that one.

Last edited:
New Zealand by going over the North Pole, 100 watts with a 6 element log periodic at 40 feet at like 3 am.

Orion2K is your id Orion2K because you operate a Ten Tec OrionII I also use an OrionII. I have other radios however the Orion II is my favorite and I have made almost all my DX contacts with it 100watts and a 72ft wire. 101 countries since November 2015 93 confirmed on QRZ. Two months ago I had to recap the A9 power distribution board on the OrionII a whole lot of crazy things started to happen and I traced it back to the A9 board and found a bulging cap. I found out this is a common problem and used better caps then original. Contact me so we can set up a QSO. Check my QRZ page N1HM

20m SSB, 20 was hot for a short time, Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia were there and then gone. I just caught the end and I was just lucky I caught the New Zealand station. I will be checking 20m at around 12:30 AM - 1:30 AM again to see if this happens again. I use dxfun.com:8000 for spotting, Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia were on the cluster. Check it out tonight we may get lucky once again. You are right about the band being lousy during the day lately.

Attn. All right now at 5:16 est 14222 Azerbaijan just made the contact coming into Ma USA 55 to 57

Well, crap. I guess that is one reason to get my Extra Class ticket! <sigh>

- - - Updated - - -

I got Greece a couple nights ago on 20m.

Early this morning 12:21am est. FR5FP Reunion Island 20m 14.185 100 watts 58 was on for around a half hour this was a new one for me. 9126.8 miles

Early this morning 12:21am est. FR5FP Reunion Island 20m 14.185 100 watts 58 was on for around a half hour this was a new one for me. 9126.8 miles
Reunion Island. That's one of those DXpeditions, isn't it? Did you have to work hard to bust a pile-up?

Almost no pile-up picked me up right away at 58 Just one of those lucky contacts. 20 meters has been strange like that around midnight the last few days.

Back
Top Bottom