• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking at a new 5" Production gun - anyone have experience with the XD or M&P Pros?

Having just moved to the somewhat more free Commonwealth of Virginia, I find that I now have many more options for polymer Production guns - not limited to 15 year old Glocks versus fixed M&Ps. I have really been looking hard at getting a 5" longslide gun - ideally I would get an M&P9L, install sights of my choosing and an Apex competition kit. I could also do a Pro Series but would essentially be spending extra money on things that I would end up replacing anyway.

Of course, the biggest problem with that plan is that, for the life of me, I can't find one of the friggin' things anywhere. I've searched two Gander Mountains, two Bass Pros, and 6 of Virginia's larger firearms retailers and none of them have so much as seen a 5" M&P9 in many months. Their distributors are all out, as is Bud's. The MCX told me that they wouldn't be able to get one for a long time either. Anyone seen one of these goddamned things around lately?

With that said, I was at a large gun store in central Virginia today - they had a visiting trailer from a distributor outside with a number of different manufacturers spotlighted. I wandered in and saw a rack of XDs and XDMs - I picked up one of the 5" XDs and it felt pretty good in the hands, pointed really nicely, with a very nice, smooth trigger pull. I think I can get one for under $500. Does anyone have experience with XDs? I've seen a few at various MA USPSA matches but can't really tell whether they're a popular choice or whether people have success with them (I'm guessing the fact that they're difficult to get in MA may have an effect on that - I saw a few more at my first VA match). It seems like a nice gun but I know nothing about their quality or reliability, and, frankly, even though I can get one much cheaper (and faster!) than a M&P9 L or Pro series, the fact that I'd have to buy more mags and a new holster negates some of that savings (I currently have three M&Ps). Does anyone have any experience with an XD over time that would be willing to offer some thoughts?

I would take an XD over an M&P. Didn't have great experiences with my M&P Pro and a few other shooters on here didn't either.
Took a bit to make them work reliably...and keep the sights from falling off.

Any idea what else the XDM gives you over an XD other than backstraps? The 5.25 XDM Competition looks nice, but it's $700 where as the standard XD 5" is $460 (although it does have a lightening cut and different sights)

I have a couple of buddies who have had XDs (not in the Northeast, but in NM) since early 2008 and they still run beautifully. Keep in mind that these are their primary IDPA/USPSA production guns. Tactical XDs with additional trigger work are very nice. To be honest, when I tried the new 5.25 XDMs I was very impressed. We're not talking about a simple increase in the slide length. I drew the XDM 5.25 much more comfortably than the tactical XD. Plus, that additional recoil that I always feels with the shorter XDM, is virtually gone with the 5.25.

Really though if money is a problem, look into getting a used tactical XD (maybe with some trigger work with it) and you'll be fine. You really should check out the BrianEnos classifieds, in the past month they had some awesome M&P pro and XD/XDM deals. If a 5.25 version pops up, I'm takin' it! :) I haven't had problems with my M&P pro, but I prefer the feel of my XDM much more. It's all the matter of preference...seeing as you are in Virginia, go to the local indoor range and try out a regular XDs/XDMs/M&P (don't need to be the longslide versions) just to get a feel of the trigger and recoil during live fire.

By the way, Area 8 is coming up in a month, they still got slots! *hint hint*

I have a XD45 and its a great gun. sorry no experience with the XDm
If I was to choose I would go with the XD over the MP and I have shoot both.

Looks like size, capacity, and match grade barrel are the differences. I've fired both the XD and the M&P and would take the XD without a doubt.

Thanks.

I have a couple of buddies who have had XDs (not in the Northeast, but in NM) since early 2008 and they still run beautifully. Keep in mind that these are their primary IDPA/USPSA production guns. Tactical XDs with additional trigger work are very nice. To be honest, when I tried the new 5.25 XDMs I was very impressed. We're not talking about a simple increase in the slide length. I drew the XDM 5.25 much more comfortably than the tactical XD. Plus, that additional recoil that I always feels with the shorter XDM, is virtually gone with the 5.25.

Really though if money is a problem, look into getting a used tactical XD (maybe with some trigger work with it) and you'll be fine. You really should check out the BrianEnos classifieds, in the past month they had some awesome M&P pro and XD/XDM deals. If a 5.25 version pops up, I'm takin' it! :) I haven't had problems with my M&P pro, but I prefer the feel of my XDM much more. It's all the matter of preference...seeing as you are in Virginia, go to the local indoor range and try out a regular XDs/XDMs/M&P (don't need to be the longslide versions) just to get a feel of the trigger and recoil during live fire.

By the way, Area 8 is coming up in a month, they still got slots! *hint hint*

Thanks for the information - I can't figure out where the classifieds are on Brian Enos forums which means i'm probably missing something really obvious. The XD Tactical 5" I handled seemed to fit my hand perfectly and pointed as naturally as any pistol I've ever handled - the XDM is definitely a strong option for me right now even with the $700 price tag. Does anyone make drop-in kits like Apex does for the M&P?

I want this gun to replace the full-sized 4.25" M&Ps I've been using for Production - the .40 is just too damned expensive to shoot and the 9mm's trigger is OK but not great even after Dave Santurri worked on it. My ideal is an M&P9 5" with an Apex Competition kit, but it seems like they're close to impossible to find.

As for Area 8, I'm traveling that weekend (damnit)... and I think they're full up on the weekend days anyway.

Thanks.

Thanks for the information - I can't figure out where the classifieds are on Brian Enos forums which means i'm probably missing something really obvious. The XD Tactical 5" I handled seemed to fit my hand perfectly and pointed as naturally as any pistol I've ever handled - the XDM is definitely a strong option for me right now even with the $700 price tag. Does anyone make drop-in kits like Apex does for the M&P?

I want this gun to replace the full-sized 4.25" M&Ps I've been using for Production - the .40 is just too damned expensive to shoot and the 9mm's trigger is OK but not great even after Dave Santurri worked on it. My ideal is an M&P9 5" with an Apex Competition kit, but it seems like they're close to impossible to find.

As for Area 8, I'm traveling that weekend (damnit)... and I think they're full up on the weekend days anyway.

Google "XD Springer Precision"....they make great drop-in kits for XDs. Canyon Creek trigger jobs are great too (that's the one I have on my XDM, not drop-in trigger). That being said, I would highly recommend you research either on BrianEnos or maybe local gun shops to see if a local reputable gun smith could hook you up. I had a local one back in TX that could do a mean XD trigger for 40 bucks in a day or two. Better to do that then send it and spend mucho money on shipping and an expensive trigger.

And yes you are correct, I've tried custom M&Ps and they don't come close to CZ, XDM, or even drop-in trigger Glocks. Maybe the way the trigger was designed I just feel it has a weird mushy feel to it...and for me to say that as a Glock shooter, it must be super mushy to other people. :)

The heck with 15 year old Glocks, why not get yourself a nice new Glock 34? You can't beat it and the price will be right where you're living. If you've already ruled out a Glock I would give the new XDM 5.25 a hard look. It's going to quickly become a hot item, Springfield got it right with this one. I feel like I'm going to need one "just because". Yeah, it costs a little more, but you will have the gun for many years and you will soon forget what you paid for it. Spend a little more to get quality and you will never be sorry.

-Cuz.

Google "XD Springer Precision"....they make great drop-in kits for XDs. Canyon Creek trigger jobs are great too (that's the one I have on my XDM, not drop-in trigger). That being said, I would highly recommend you research either on BrianEnos or maybe local gun shops to see if a local reputable gun smith could hook you up. I had a local one back in TX that could do a mean XD trigger for 40 bucks in a day or two. Better to do that then send it and spend mucho money on shipping and an expensive trigger.

And yes you are correct, I've tried custom M&Ps and they don't come close to CZ, XDM, or even drop-in trigger Glocks. Maybe the way the trigger was designed I just feel it has a weird mushy feel to it...and for me to say that as a Glock shooter, it must be super mushy to other people. :)

Thanks again for the information - looks like there's plenty of options. I'm definitely going to try to at least put some rounds through an XD or XDM before deciding, and there are a few local gunsmiths around this area. I'll probably go for a drop-in kit, though.

Thanks for the link! I may go that route.

The heck with 15 year old Glocks, why not get yourself a nice new Glock 34? You can't beat it and the price will be right where you're living. If you've already ruled out a Glock I would give the new XDM 5.25 a hard look. It's going to quickly become a hot item, Springfield got it right with this one. I feel like I'm going to need one "just because". Yeah, it costs a little more, but you will have the gun for many years and you will soon forget what you paid for it. Spend a little more to get quality and you will never be sorry.

-Cuz.

I have no qualms about spending money on quality... I just spent close to seven grand on a shotgun. The main reason I wanted an M&P is because I like them and shoot pretty well with them. The XD feels just as nice but I haven't shot one yet.

And yeah, no Glocks - I can not stand the grip. It does pain me a little to walk into a store and see new Glocks on sale for under $450 when MA people are paying twice that.

All these responses are getting me pretty amped about the XDM 5.25...

I shot an M&P Pro for a few months and found it to be pretty good. The sights are excellent, better than any after market products, and the trigger was OK, obviously not up to SA standards. With three back straps, just about anyone should be able to get a good fit. I retired it in favor of a SIG P 226 SS because I am fed up with polymer framed, striker fired guns.

Thanks again to everyone who gave input. I had a chance to stop by one of the local dealers and they happened to have one of the 5.25 Competition models in stock, so I got a chance to handle it and loved it. It points as naturally as any gun I've ever handled and fits my hands much better than the G34/35. I'll be placing an order for one as soon as DFAS fixes my pay. Thanks again [smile]

Awesome give us the ole range report - can't wait to hear more about your experience with it... I am jealous!!

If you're going to be at the NE IDPA Regional IDPA Championship at HSC this Saturday, stop by and you can grope/handle and probably shoot my XD9 Tactical. It has a Powder River Precision Ultimate Match Target XD Trigger Kit (installed by them), stippled grips, Pistolgear Patriot magwell, and Dawson FO sights. Pretty Production-representative, and it should give you a "feel" for the gun, which I think is every bit as race-ready as an XDm. I think you'll like it.

You're welcome to play with it. If you're interested, PM me to set it up.

If you're going to be at the NE IDPA Regional IDPA Championship at HSC this Saturday, stop by and you can grope/handle and probably shoot my XD9 Tactical. It has a Powder River Precision Ultimate Match Target XD Trigger Kit (installed by them), stippled grips, Pistolgear Patriot magwell, and Dawson FO sights. Pretty Production-representative, and it should give you a "feel" for the gun, which I think is every bit as race-ready as an XDm. I think you'll like it.

You're welcome to play with it. If you're interested, PM me to set it up.

If I were still in MA I would be all over it... Thanks for the offer though.

Your location says "Assachusetts." That's not MA?

If you're in NH, it's even easier. Anyway, offer is always open..

ETA: OK, I can't read. I get it now. New offer: if you're going to the Shoothouse Shoot-out in October (at what-used-to-be-Blackwater), same offer applies. Shooting Saturday.

Last edited:
So... just trying to plan out my purchasing...

Any opinions on a good Production holster for a 5.25 XDM? Most of the XDM holsters out there seem to be IWB/CCW holsters. I usually use a Serpa but Blackhawk only makes them for the XD - conflicting reports on whether they actually hold XDMs securely and i'd rather get something without the button anyway.

Ready Tactical makes the best holsters and pouches for Production, IMHO. Not sure if they have holsters for the 5.25 XDM yet, but I know they do the 5" tactical. www.cpwsa.com.

Bladetech DOH - You can order them and mag pouches (w/ Teklok) through Springer Precision.

They don't seem to have a 5.25 length... will a shorter holster work?

Ready Tactical makes the best holsters and pouches for Production, IMHO. Not sure if they have holsters for the 5.25 XDM yet, but I know they do the 5" tactical. www.cpwsa.com.

I don't think they have the 5.25 yet either.

They don't seem to have a 5.25 length... will a shorter holster work?

Give them a call and ask to see if it fits, they will answer you pretty quickly. I use a blackhawk holster designed for a G22/G17 with my G34 (so you technically see it go past the holster), nothing illegal in that in both IDPA and USPSA.

Diana

Back
Top Bottom