Looking for 2 gun or carbine matches

Hey guys I've been doing some Steel Challenge, CMP, and Military rifle matches over the past few years to get out and get some trigger time. I recently did a modern day minute man "2 gun" style match at Townsend Rod and gun. It was awesome and really the type of shooting I'm looking to get more into. Not really interested in 3 gun, are there any similar matches anyone knows of that are just carbine or 2 gun that combines physical challenges with rifle or rifle and pistol, possibly on steel or a combination of steel and paper shooting, rather than just static shooting at paper. Willing to travel pretty much anywhere in New England. LMK thanks!

I’m also curious. I like the concept, but there’s no way I’m getting into 3-gun. I have no interest in spending money on a competition/tactical shotgun. I hope 2-gun takes off.

I'd be interested in just a rifle match, but shooting static slow fire for accuracy gets boring and only builds one skill. I'd like to shoot and move, engage multiple targets, have to change magazines, and shoot steel. Stuff I can't do at a regular range.

monument beach puts on a monthly carbine match
Townsend rod and gun club said they were going to be alternating between two and three gun every month, I shot armored div at a match there earlier this year and had a good time. it was a bit more physical than a regular 3 gun match, but I was hoping for a little more. they had a physical challenge on each stage, it either needed to be harder or it needed to be more stages.

monument beach puts on a monthly carbine match
Townsend rod and gun club said they were going to be alternating between two and three gun every month, I shot armored div at a match there earlier this year and had a good time. it was a bit more physical than a regular 3 gun match, but I was hoping for a little more. they had a physical challenge on each stage, it either needed to be harder or it needed to be more stages.

Monument Beach has a "new rifle series match" on their special events page, is that the carbine match? Ever shot it? I'm curious what it consists of, but sounds like it might be similar to what I'm looking for. Townsend only has 3 gun matches listed on practiscore for the rest of the year. I'll keep watching for another 2 gun match. I did scout last time, but I'm definitely gonna go armored next time.

I shot the mobeach event last month, it was very similar to uspsa with a carbine. they have a small shoot house, I don't recall if it was a four or five stage match but it was worth the trip out.
I would really like to see something like a New England hard as hell or brutality style match.

I shot the mobeach event last month, it was very similar to uspsa with a carbine. they have a small shoot house, I don't recall if it was a four or five stage match but it was worth the trip out.
I would really like to see something like a New England hard as hell or brutality style match.

+1

I would love this kind of match in NE (as long as its hosted in NH or ME)

I'm trying to develop a FAL match with a Kasarda drill. If that goes well, it might get more physical at each match.

Capitol City Rifle and Pistol Club is having a "multi-gun" match on 5/9, not sure if 3-gun or 2-gun. I'd like to go but that's right during law school finals.

Home | PractiScore

Do these matches typically require a 9mm, or are there .22LR divisions? I'm just getting started and trying to figure out my first firearm. If 9mm is a requirement to get into these, I may skip buying the .22lr pistol.

Do these matches typically require a 9mm, or are there .22LR divisions? I'm just getting started and trying to figure out my first firearm. If 9mm is a requirement to get into these, I may skip buying the .22lr pistol.

Depends on the match, contact the match directors. My suggestion is to forgo the .22 and buy a 9x19 double stack pistol instead. I haven't seen a .22 division during the matches in RI that I've shot.

Edit: if you don't own a gun yet, getting immediately into multigun is a very steep hill to climb because every concept would be new to you. Multigun would really be sensory overload. I suggest starting with something "easier" first, like an indoor pistol league, bowling pin shoots, trap, or skeet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much for your advice. With regard to easing into minigun from other events first, will the 9MM suggestion still apply or should I start off with a .22 in those types of events first?

Thanks again

Thanks very much for your advice. With regard to easing into minigun from other events first, will the 9MM suggestion still apply or should I start off with a .22 in those types of events first?

Thanks again

It depends on what specific sports you want to get into. There are .22 pistol leagues. Obviously with trap or skeet*, those aren't pistol sports, so no need for a pistol. Bowling pin shoots are normally associated with .45ACP or .38/.357 Magnum but could include .22.

You mentioned in another thread that you're a member of a gun club, so see what competitions your club has and then go from there. Or, identify which clubs have the competitions you want and go to those clubs' matches and talk to competitors.

*I mention trap and skeet because while they're typically viewed as the antithesis of multigun, knowing how to shoot a shotgun at moving targets is a very handy skill in 3-gun. Almost every 3-gun or shotgun + pistol 2-gun match I've shot has had pistol poppers that activate a flying clay when shot. Trap and skeet would also teach you lessons about chokes and shotgun handling. Most peoples' weakest skill in 3-gun is shotgun shooting.

Metacon (Simsbury, CT), Harwinton R&G (Harwinton, CT) and Northwest CT R&G (North Canaan, CT) usually have a few of these matches during the course of the year. Most are open to non-members, but you may pay a little more and need to sign a waiver for the season.
See each club's rules for details.
Metacon does class 3 events, too

I contacted them, apparently their 2-gun events aren't really matches. No timing, no scoring, no set course of fire. From what I understand, it's just hanging out and shooting.

Meh, unfortunate, but its their club.

Anyways, Pemi Fish + Game will be having real 2-gun this year and some other matches in RI should be happening. And there's always Townsend.

It depends on what specific sports you want to get into. There are .22 pistol leagues. Obviously with trap or skeet*, those aren't pistol sports, so no need for a pistol. Bowling pin shoots are normally associated with .45ACP or .38/.357 Magnum but could include .22.

You mentioned in another thread that you're a member of a gun club, so see what competitions your club has and then go from there. Or, identify which clubs have the competitions you want and go to those clubs' matches and talk to competitors.

*I mention trap and skeet because while they're typically viewed as the antithesis of multigun, knowing how to shoot a shotgun at moving targets is a very handy skill in 3-gun. Almost every 3-gun or shotgun + pistol 2-gun match I've shot has had pistol poppers that activate a flying clay when shot. Trap and skeet would also teach you lessons about chokes and shotgun handling. Most peoples' weakest skill in 3-gun is shotgun shooting.

You said "Most peoples' weakest skill in 3-gun is shotgun shooting".
You misspelled "reloading". The difference between quad-loading and loading a single shot at a time is substantial. Most people don't practice quickly loading a shotgun, and it's time consuming.

You said "Most peoples' weakest skill in 3-gun is shotgun shooting".
You misspelled "reloading". The difference between quad-loading and loading a single shot at a time is substantial. Most people don't practice quickly loading a shotgun, and it's time consuming.

Reloading was one, probably the primary, aspect, but I was also thinking about shooting at moving targets and learning things like shotgun ammo, choke, etc. Most newbs these days buy handguns or rifles first and then learn about shotguns later. The multigun matches I've shot typically involve some kind of flying clays.

Keep in mind that the guy I was quoting doesn't own a gun, or at least didn't own a gun when he posted what I responded to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reloading was one, probably the primary, aspect, but I was also thinking about shooting at moving targets and learning things like shotgun ammo, choke, etc. Most newbs these days buy handguns or rifles first and then learn about shotguns later. The multigun matches I've shot typically involve some kind of flying clays.

Keep in mind that the guy I was quoting doesn't own a gun, or at least didn't own a gun when he posted what I responded to.

I'm not really disagreeing with you, just pointing out that the break between people who shoot equally well is the reloading time on shotgun. We use flying clays too, ours come up off of poppers. Round counting doesn't hurt either, I've seen more than one person hit the popper and run dry - then try to fire an empty shotgun at a flying (disappearing) clay.

Clays close up are easy. The spinner at distance with slugs is an absolute bitch.

At Southborough, some of the Trapezoids play "Drag Race": Everyone loads one round, first shooter calls for a target, button is held down, until the round is complete.

It's not that difficult wiht a full squad - the trap throws a target about every three seconds, so you shoot every 12-15 seconds. It's a b!tch with two on the line, and break-opens. [rofl]

Reloading is not just for multi-gun!

Back
Top Bottom