• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

looking for 600-1000 yard range

Hi everyone.Im looking for a 600-1000 yard range here in maine that shoots something besides F class.Does anyone have any ideas?

What type of shooting are you looking for? Only two 600 yard ranges in the state and closest 1000 is actually in at CFB Gagetown in New Brunswick or in Albany NY. Both only shoot NRA type matches that I know of.

B

Tate, i believe there is a range in Damariscotta Me. (sp). The folks at Precision Shooting Magazine would know. They are located in Ct.
Don't have the number but i would say if you spent a minute or two on yahoo or google you would find the contact info. Hope that helps.

If I knock a few trees down....and shoot across the swamp behind my house and into the hills under the electric lines, I think I might have 400-600 yards available....

Pelham or Windam I think have or are in the process of getting a 600 yard range. Nashua G&GC has 600 yards as well. Londonderry F&GC is putting one in as soon as their gate/road access issue is done.

Are there target pits (For pull and score target carriers) or is it just shooting into a berm?

If it is the later? Not interested.
In looking at it and talking to people, it's steel IPSC size targets. It seems they are trying to raise money for improvements, but I don't know their full plan.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

In looking at it and talking to people, it's steel IPSC size targets. It seems they are trying to raise money for improvements, but I don't know their full plan.

Correct on both accounts. Interestingly enough, the steel at 750 is smaller than at 100 or 200.

There is a gofundme page and they are trying to raise money for improvements. At this time they are running PRS style matches monthly and things are progressing VERY NICELY. Granby is already the longest range open to its members and I fully expect it to develop into something special. The guys driving development are doing it on their own time with their own equipment. Given funding and support, we will have a top notch rifle range in MA. I am proud to support them and hope more people will discover the challenges and joys of long range shooting. These guys are working their asses off to cut down trees and clear firing lanes. Please support them.

1000 yard range IS HERE! (1025yd exact) Granby Bow and Gun Club, Inc. Western MA

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=312171&share_fid=5886&share_type=t

Was there today shooting 350. Took the walk up to the 1,000 yard shooting position and I was amazed how far 1,000 yards really is. Recently joined and have been shooting there every weekend. Nice place the bench area is actually very clean and i love that everyone actually picks up their own brass and trash.

I'm the rifle range director at Granby Bow & Gun Club. For those that don't know the range is in an area that resembles an old quarry. The terrain is rolling with targets at different elevations. This is not your classic F class or NRA square range. No pits. All the work has been done by a small group of members and through the generous donations of folks who want to see the club grow. The club president bought a bulldozer and small excavator and had done the machine work himself (countless hours). All lanes have been hand cut with chain saws. Long range (1000 yard range) orientations for new members wanting to shoot on the 1000 yard range are done by myself and the asst. rifle range director on our own time. In addition to the rifle range, we have added (4) very large pistol bays and have started USPSA and IDPA matches. We've run a 2gun match and our 1st PRS (precision rifle series - tactical) type match is August 21. We also have a very nice indoor bow range, outside bow targets and a archery field course.

We had a generous donation from Yankee Hill Machine which allowed us purchase high quality range steel JC Steel targets (AR500) and diesel for our equipment. We placed the good steel at 300 yards and out and have additional steel reserved for matches. There is currently steel targets at 175, 275, 365, 425, 750, 950 and 1000. The 1000 yard range is open 5 days per week. Full days on Mon, Wed, Fri and 1/2 days on the weekend. 100-350 yard range is open Tues/Thurs all day and 1/2 day on weekends. To shoot out to 1000 we shoot from a leveled hill (fine gravel base) which is up and behind the 350 yard range. One range can't be open when the other is so we split the days they are open.

Yes the targets at 100 and 200 are large, but that was done on purpose. We don't allow steel core / armor piercing ammunition, but guess what? Folks use it anyways. The targets at 100 and 200 (which most on that range shoot at) are made from bridge steel and are there so folks have something to shoot at. If they end up getting ruined, so what. The good stuff is at 300 and out. We've already had someone with a 50cal put some nice holes though a new AR500 plate.

We plan on adding more berms, steel targets and target boards, so members can hang paper targets. We plan on adding roads to access targets. Currently you can take a 4X4 out to 425 yards or walk. Further targets are accessed with a quad. Our dozer currently has some really loose tracks and we are afraid to take it to far out to add more berms. If anyone has the ability to fix our dozer's tracks (estimated repair is $3K) or loan us some heavy equipment for a day to finish the berms, we would be very appreciative and could exchange membership for the help.

There is no place like this north of PA. Members love the range and the experience of ringing steel targets at long range. We have much more planned, but it all comes down to money. As the club grows we will add more amenities. We currently have less than 400 members.

Membership costs are currently only $50 per year. Sept. 1 it goes to $75 for an individual and a family membership. January 1 we will start charging a $100 initiation fee and membership fees will go to $100 for an individual and $150 for a family per year. If you want to avoid the initiation fee, please become a member before Jan 1. Memberships are available on our website granbybowandgun.club

Our website and Facebook page also outlines the requirements to complete the long range orientation so you can shoot on the 1000 yard range.

Happy to answer any questions.
Nick-

I'm the rifle range director at Granby Bow & Gun Club. For those that don't know the range is in an area that resembles an old quarry. The terrain is rolling with targets at different elevations. This is not your classic F class or NRA square range. No pits. All the work has been done by a small group of members and through the generous donations of folks who want to see the club grow. The club president bought a bulldozer and small excavator and had done the machine work himself (countless hours). All lanes have been hand cut with chain saws. Long range (1000 yard range) orientations for new members wanting to shoot on the 1000 yard range are done by myself and the asst. rifle range director on our own time. In addition to the rifle range, we have added (4) very large pistol bays and have started USPSA and IDPA matches. We've run a 2gun match and our 1st PRS (precision rifle series - tactical) type match is August 21. We also have a very nice indoor bow range, outside bow targets and a archery field course.

We had a generous donation from Yankee Hill Machine which allowed us purchase high quality range steel JC Steel targets (AR500) and diesel for our equipment. We placed the good steel at 300 yards and out and have additional steel reserved for matches. There is currently steel targets at 175, 275, 365, 425, 750, 950 and 1000. The 1000 yard range is open 5 days per week. Full days on Mon, Wed, Fri and 1/2 days on the weekend. 100-350 yard range is open Tues/Thurs all day and 1/2 day on weekends. To shoot out to 1000 we shoot from a leveled hill (fine gravel base) which is up and behind the 350 yard range. One range can't be open when the other is so we split the days they are open.

Yes the targets at 100 and 200 are large, but that was done on purpose. We don't allow steel core / armor piercing ammunition, but guess what? Folks use it anyways. The targets at 100 and 200 (which most on that range shoot at) are made from bridge steel and are there so folks have something to shoot at. If they end up getting ruined, so what. The good stuff is at 300 and out. We've already had someone with a 50cal put some nice holes though a new AR500 plate.

We plan on adding more berms, steel targets and target boards, so members can hang paper targets. We plan on adding roads to access targets. Currently you can take a 4X4 out to 425 yards or walk. Further targets are accessed with a quad. Our dozer currently has some really loose tracks and we are afraid to take it to far out to add more berms. If anyone has the ability to fix our dozer's tracks (estimated repair is $3K) or loan us some heavy equipment for a day to finish the berms, we would be very appreciative and could exchange membership for the help.

There is no place like this north of PA. Members love the range and the experience of ringing steel targets at long range. We have much more planned, but it all comes down to money. As the club grows we will add more amenities. We currently have less than 400 members.

Membership costs are currently only $50 per year. Sept. 1 it goes to $75 for an individual and a family membership. January 1 we will start charging a $100 initiation fee and membership fees will go to $100 for an individual and $150 for a family per year. If you want to avoid the initiation fee, please become a member before Jan 1. Memberships are available on our website granbybowandgun.club

Our website and Facebook page also outlines the requirements to complete the long range orientation so you can shoot on the 1000 yard range.

Happy to answer any questions.
Nick-

Hey Nick

Would anyone have an issue with me repairing the bridge going to the 100 yard berm.

With enough steel anythings possible. Is that what destroyed it to begin with

There might have been some ... miscommunication or at the very least misunderstanding as to the best way to access the targets. I can't claim responsibility but it was an honest mistake.

Hey Nick

Would anyone have an issue with me repairing the bridge going to the 100 yard berm.

The gentleman who broke said he is going to fix it. He has a bridge, but is having difficulty getting it to range. Needs a car hauler. I'm tempted to just pull broken boards off and put down some new 2X6 over the t/poles. If you want to fix it, go for it. I don't know when the new bridge will ever get here. Thanks!!

You can put paper out there and shoot bullseye if you'd like. You'd have to bring your own stand. Road out to 1k is even almost finished so you'll be able to drive down. They have a good setup to prevent anyone shooting whilst someone is downrange so it's safe. I really can't say enough good things about the place, even the club officers are pleasant and cool, no fudds. Solid place.

With that said, I can understand if you prefer a super level range with pits etc., but even if you do prefer those places, this place is pretty awesome for getting wind practice for when you do go to those places.

Last edited:
You can put paper out there and shoot bullseye if you'd like. You'd have to bring your own stand. Road out to 1k is even almost finished so you'll be able to drive down. They have a good setup to prevent anyone shooting whilst someone is downrange so it's safe. I really can't say enough good things about the place, even the club officers are pleasant and cool, no fudds. Solid place.

With that said, I can understand if you prefer a super level range with pits etc., but even if you do prefer those places, this place is pretty awesome for getting wind practice for when you do go to those places.
Sounds great. Someday I hope to get out there to check it out. It's a long drive for me!

Back
Top Bottom