• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a club.

Laura

NES Member
I'm with the Andover Sportsmen's club and just paid my annual and wish I didn't now. Is there any gun club near Peabody that DOESN'T have restrictions on gun targets? I got an email today that left me scratching my head. How is this a "human" target? I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I haven't been there since I joined because of my parents' health situation. I pay on time nevertheless, and now I see this? Can someone explain? I just wanted something that I could see easily, and it doesn't look a person to me. Is there anything near me that's less restrictive?

Attachments

• my target.jpg
    my target.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 254
This is what they said is prohibited. How the Hell are the two on the end in human form?

Attachments

• gun club.jpg
    gun club.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 88
I can't figure this....how the Hell does the orange target on the end and the target like mine on the other resemble a human being?

What target can I use that's large enough to see easily that DOSN'T offend anyone? Looks like I wasted money on my targets, which is always great.

First, I agree with OP, that particular target is an aerial view of the Indy 500. In Andover's case, I've been told, it's a deal with the SP to keep an A rating so they can buy firearms in their name for training. Is anal.

Does every gun club in the state of Massachusetts have a restriction on my target?
I don't know if Andover has a club LTC as indicated in the video. But not every gun club has the restriction.

It's because the club has a Class 1 license from MSP. This allows the club to have club owned firearms stored on property. It's a Mass law thing. Not the club.
MGL prohibits any club with a CLUB CLASS A LTC from allowing anyone to shoot a human-shaped target unless it is an organized police qualification (and they shoot at milk-bottle Q targets these days).

According to my sources, only 1 club in MA was stupid enough to get the Club Class A LTC!!

It is perfectly legal to shoot those targets at every other club in MA. That said, reading comprehension is very poor amongst club officers/BODs and some do ban the targets.

And all four MA clubs that I was a member of owned club guns and stored them on the property . . . without a Club Class A LTC! No MGL requires a club to be "licensed".
Does every gun club in the state of Massachusetts have a restriction on my target?
No.

Mass rifle in Woburn restricts it to no face targets of “anyone living or dead.” I use targets like the OP posted there.

They go over it in range rules posted online:

This is what they said is prohibited. How the Hell are the two on the end in human form?
The one on the right is basically an IPSC silhouette target, so I can understand why they'd say that. The one on the left...I guess I can see the top section as being a "neck" in a silhouette target.

Yours is an oval target. I wouldn't worry. I would also look at other clubs. The restrictions related to the Class A license are insane, and maintaining it (especially as the only club that still does) seems like a bad sign.

Unfortunately, I'm not much help; I doubt you want to drive out to Harvard all that often.

I'm with the Andover Sportsmen's club and just paid my annual and wish I didn't now. Is there any gun club near Peabody that DOESN'T have restrictions on gun targets? I got an email today that left me scratching my head. How is this a "human" target? I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I haven't been there since I joined because of my parents' health situation. I pay on time nevertheless, and now I see this? Can someone explain? I just wanted something that I could see easily, and it doesn't look a person to me. Is there anything near me that's less restrictive?

That's ridiculous. It's a freaking oval with a red bullseye.

Funny thing is how that could ever be argued or determined in court. Is your black oval target too oblong compared to a black circle? At what proportion of X vs Y axis is a target center not torso-esque enough?😆

I can't figure this....how the Hell does the orange target on the end and the target like mine on the other resemble a human being?
how the hell - your club got range officers who did that interpretation? f#ck that club, then, and those ROs as well.
f#ck me if i would be paying for some jerk to have a right to interpret legality of a painted paper i intend making holes in.

I'm a member at ACS and got the same e-mail today and several others in the past re: the same topic. Seems very fuddy to me and pisses me off as well but I guess you either find another club or use round splatter targets like I get from Walmart. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if ASSachusetts is the only state with this type of regulation/requirement.

Back
Top Bottom