• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a club

Guys I know this thread gets posted from times to times and I apologize if this one feels repetitive, but I was talking to some friends who have club different club memberships and they keep telling me about some ridiculous rules their clubs impose like not being able to use human targets, pre ban mags being prohibited or some clubs that are shotgun only or only allow you to use slugs. I would love to become a member of a club but I am lookin for one that doesn’t have (or has fewer) ridiculous rules. I live in Woburn mass but I am not against driving for an hour if needed to find a good club.

Unfortunately they usually all have some sort of compromise. DFG was a pain in the butt with the whole range officer policy but for a while they had an area at the out door range where you could draw from holster and run drills. Not sure if they still do, I let my membership go when they shut down for covid.

Try Brainteee. I live just north of Boston and make the drive there often. Not a bad drive, pretty chill range and rules are "normal".

Try Brainteee. I live just north of Boston and make the drive there often. Not a bad drive, pretty chill range and rules are "normal".
I'd drive to mansfield once in past the wait list.

AMES is night and day over Braintree.

You can't shoot outside without an RO at Braintree, but ames has steel and other fun stuff. Also Braintree only allows one GUN out per person

Obviously depends on the individual and willingness to go further

i can't keep my human target still enough to tie him to the frame, he squirms loose and runs away.

Funny story. Back when there were Mammoth Hunting Merit Badges, I was in Scouting. I was sick in bed for a few days. Boys' Life magazine came, with a "How to tie knots" feature. So, being stuck in bed, I did.

Next troop meeting, there was a knot-tying competition. I did not do poorly. [laugh]

Not saying that they were used for Greencobra's purposes, though. Really.

Woburn has two great clubs. Mass Rifle and Woburn Sportsman Club which is technically in Billerica.
I thought Woburn sportsman’s was in Bedford? But agree otherwise. If I lived in Woburn I’d prob join MR or WSA. Probably Harvard too

I'd drive to mansfield once in past the wait list.

AMES is night and day over Braintree.

You can't shoot outside without an RO at Braintree, but ames has steel and other fun stuff. Also Braintree only allows one GUN out per person

Obviously depends on the individual and willingness to go further
Is Ames still open. Google said it’s closed.
Are the taking in new members right now?

Mansfield is really nice. Glad my uncle brought me in before they hit their cap.

FWIW - I am in Quincy/Braintree. I only have Holbrook and Braintree clubs to compare it though.

Thanks. That would be great. How’s the club? Are there any steal targets?
Mansfield F&G gets a lot of members who quit Ames. I was a member of Ames for 5 or 6 years and quit there due to "management". The ranges were nice, their rules and policies were created by the BOD without member input and constantly changing when I was there. I quit and joined Mansfield F&G, which is a great club in all respects.

Last edited:
MRA in Woburn posts their range rules online. You can go in on sundays and wednesdays when the offices are open and see if someone is available for a quick tour, too.

Thanks. That would be great. How’s the club? Are there any steal targets?
I went for a tour at Ames Rifle and Pistol Club last week. Was difficult to get ahold of people (emails from contact us page on their website don't work at the moment) but they have emails of the board members on their website and I was able to get ahold of the treasurer Tim Duffy and was able to set up a tour with the Vice President Bob McCarthy.

It is a nice facility tucked in the woods in North Easton, MA. It has a lot of older equipment but all still usable. They have a pistol plinking area with steel targets. They also have a rifle area with steel targets as well. They have a good set up overall and can shoot anything there from pistol, rifle, shotgun, archery, and soon a BB area for kids. Their layout outdoors is linear for the different ranges (300, 200, 100, plinking) and they have a small indoor range as well.

They are taking new members at the moment and seem like they are a little desperate for members at the moment. However, I will say overall it is a nice club. Little outdated but has basically everything you would want.

I don't really know about what has happened in the past at Ames other than what some people have said about it on here and messaging a few people that have gone there previously.

My best advice: go for a tour and decide for yourself. However, tour a few places before deciding where you want to become a member. Most clubs give tours for free when you schedule something with a board member. Then they will have you meet them at the club on a day they normally are there and talk about everything about the club (rules, bylaws, etc.) and show you everything they have to offer. See how the board member acts while describing the club and ask as many questions as you can to find out information. Be your own deciding factor. Don't let what other people say on here be your decision maker. Decide what you want and what you like and apply for the membership at the place that best fits your wants and needs!

I went for a tour at Ames Rifle and Pistol Club last week. Was difficult to get ahold of people (emails from contact us page on their website don't work at the moment) but they have emails of the board members on their website and I was able to get ahold of the treasurer Tim Duffy and was able to set up a tour with the Vice President Bob McCarthy.

It is a nice facility tucked in the woods in North Easton, MA. It has a lot of older equipment but all still usable. They have a pistol plinking area with steel targets. They also have a rifle area with steel targets as well. They have a good set up overall and can shoot anything there from pistol, rifle, shotgun, archery, and soon a BB area for kids. Their layout outdoors is linear for the different ranges (300, 200, 100, plinking) and they have a small indoor range as well.

They are taking new members at the moment and seem like they are a little desperate for members at the moment. However, I will say overall it is a nice club. Little outdated but has basically everything you would want.

I don't really know about what has happened in the past at Ames other than what some people have said about it on here and messaging a few people that have gone there previously.

My best advice: go for a tour and decide for yourself. However, tour a few places before deciding where you want to become a member. Most clubs give tours for free when you schedule something with a board member. Then they will have you meet them at the club on a day they normally are there and talk about everything about the club (rules, bylaws, etc.) and show you everything they have to offer. See how the board member acts while describing the club and ask as many questions as you can to find out information. Be your own deciding factor. Don't let what other people say on here be your decision maker. Decide what you want and what you like and apply for the membership at the place that best fits your wants and needs!
Thanks for the info. I will definitely go take a tour. I’ve been a member at Braintree rifle for about 20 years. I am planning to keep that membership. Just want to join another one closer to my house also.

Hope to be shooting in there by the end of March. Haven’t heard anything about a grand reopening.

Back
Top Bottom