Looking For A Complete Refinish...

I inherited a rifle many years ago - rescued from my Grandmothers basement after she moved. It's a very special rifle and I'd like to have it refinished finally - I've put it off far too long. I'm looking for a person to completely refinish the rifle, (metal and wood). There's no one out this side of the state that I know of anymore, but the closer to The Berkshires the better, (though I'm not hesitant to travel/ship).

What I have is my Uncle Claudes Winchester Model 75. He used it to compete at U-Mass and took it with him to the US Army Rifle Team before his death from Hodgkins Disease in the 1950's. He even worked on it at Springfield Armory while he was given access to SA to build his match Garand for Camp Perry. The rifle has a ton of history, a ton of wins, (including a few perfect scores). It has a 10x Unertl scope, which is going to Las Vegas to be refinished as well. It also sports some really intricate irons, (which I've lost all but one of the blades to). The trigger was customized by my Uncle Claude and the last time I shot this puppy, it was a stunner. It's now time to return it to it's glory and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas....Thanks for your help.

Mark

If you want the best, send it to Doug Turnbull Restorations.

Not cheap, but the best rarely is.

Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing gets a lot of good press at the S&W forum, and they are a LOT cheaper. They only do metal work. So you would have to find a stockmaker to do the wood, or you could do the wood yourself.

Thanks Jose - I have kicked around doing the stock myself - even though I have zero skill set for this type of thing. I seem to remember hearing about Turnbull at one point or another. I'll give them both a call and get some ideas on price and time. I just packaged up the scope to send to Unertl and am researching now how much I should insure it for.

Mark... can you post some pics of the stock? I might be able to help you and I'm sure Rome (Cabinetman) could help as well. I've learned a lot of tips from him from years of reading on the parallax forums plus what I learned on my own.
Its easier to refinish a stock than you think. Call me sentimental about certain old guns, but if it was from my family I'd feel better about having a hand in bringing it back to life. I refinished my father's old Winchester 69A after it was covered in mold and surface rust with gouges in the stock. Today it looks like this:

Win1.jpg

Win2.jpg

State Line Gun Shop in Mason NH can do a fantastic job. I highly recommend them. Bring the gun and talk to Paul (owner) and he can give you a estimate. They can and will do everything. He'll even show you his restorations there and some of his custom works.

State Line Gun Shop in Mason NH can do a fantastic job. I highly recommend them. Bring the gun and talk to Paul (owner) and he can give you a estimate. They can and will do everything. He'll even show you his restorations there and some of his custom works.

Thanks so much for the tip! I will absolutely give him a call. It's a special rifle with no limit on personal value, so I want it done right.

Back
Top Bottom