Looking for a decent knife and other BOB essentials

I ordered the Becker bk 2 going off of video reviews I watched. Ill do a brief write up after I receive it and test it out camping next weekend. I guess I could review everything I get for my BOB to kind of help other new people decide on what to get.

Re : filters .

Yup , the Katahdin by MSR. Also a big unit which is a bag & filter & hose rig , for base camp use. Holds a few gallons and gravity feeds as needed. The Katahdin screws onto standard wide mouth Nalgene bottles so you can pump right into the container.

I didn't name it because its fun to do your own research and all of this is sort of like 9 vs 45 : there's lots of Right answers and lots of people around here who know more than me.

Re : filters .

Yup , the Katahdin by MSR. Also a big unit which is a bag & filter & hose rig , for base camp use. Holds a few gallons and gravity feeds as needed. The Katahdin screws onto standard wide mouth Nalgene bottles so you can pump right into the container.

I didn't name it because its fun to do your own research and all of this is sort of like 9 vs 45 : there's lots of Right answers and lots of people around here who know more than me.

Honestly one of the best answers I spend probably 20 hours reading everything on multiple bug out bag content recommendations. I took what I liked and have started compiling my own list.

Midway just had one on 'special'

I keep one in the car within reach of the driver seat for emergency access in an accident (the seat belt cutter and window punch, both of which work great if they are anything like the one I played with years ago)

kabars,Ontario knives are great also, a little cheaper than the Kabar. I own a bunch, and in my opinion, the one knife I'd grab if I could only take one with me for any shtf situation or any camp situation is the Becker bk2 A.K.A the campanion. Knife is a monster, versatile, and one of e most durable knives I've ever handled.
I DID make additions to its sheath though.... The one mine came with was junk. It looks like they've picked up on this issue though, and offer a much better sheath for a couple dollars more. It's worth it.
Also got some micarta grips for it. The ones it comes with are perfectly fine, but the stippling of the grips reminds me of my 229, and just feels better for me. Looks amazing too.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372706831.944671.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372706840.486267.jpg

Tried it out camping this weekend, went through a watermelon in seconds. Split wood with it very easily it worked much better then the camp hatchet we had. When I got home cleaned it with gun oil, no dents nicks or bends in the blade.
Definitely a must have survival knife, very well made 70$ on amazon, its the Becker& kabar BK2.

Oh! And the BOB (Minus the 3 days of MRE's as those were getting rotated out which is when I took this shot. I'm not really going to go through this list of stuff, ask if you see something that looks like you don't know what it is....lol

- - - Updated - - -

And obviously that knife got traded out for the Gerber LMF II.

You'll want two knives. One for around camp work (Check out the camp10 from Kershaw), as well as one dedicated to cooking. I do stuff with my camp knife that I would not want to touch food afterwards. In a survival situation, that can be the difference between marching on and getting stuck with dissentry.

I carried an ESEE knife (4") with me when I went to Alaska last summer for 10 days of camping. That was the most I had ever used it and for a lot of different tasks, and it worked like a champ. They recommend keeping the exposed edge oiled when stored to prevent rust.

I have a Cold Steel ODA fixed blade in my BOB. I take it hunting with me, too. Lighter than my WWII KBAR, it stays sharp and is not that expensive.

See here.

Back
Top Bottom