• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a Garand

Was wondering if anyone has seen a Garand in any shops? I was planning on going through CMP but after reading it seems there is a 3-4 month wait. As they are just shipping January orders now. Will probably still do CMP but was curious if anyone has seen one in any shops.

It will be much cheaper going through CMP. The only thing is that you won't know exactly what you're getting until you receive it.

I know I'm just a bit impatient but I figured if I look around and see one that I like and it's not to expensive it would be worth it.

Any idea of prices on the garands?

AP martinello in Sutton Mass had three Garands at the Marlborough show. All were CMP specials, his price was very fair.

CMP is awesome.

That said, remember that right now that $650 is going to get you an H&R (post WW2), most likely with a non USGI stock.

How well are those going to hold their value as compared to an all USGI rifle? Let alone as compared to a WW2 contract Springfield or Winchester?

Perhaps if you can find an all USGI at a shop, the $1000 may be worth the investment down the road.

I do love those Korean era garands, though. And I think the H&R's are particularly nice. It's an easy decision to go through CMP if you want a shooter. From an investment/historical piece standpoint, maybe not.

Last edited:
CMP is awesome.

That said, remember that right now that $650 is going to get you an H&R (post WW2), most likely with a non USGI stock.

How well are those going to hold their value as compared to an all USGI rifle? Let alone as compared to a WW2 contract Springfield or Winchester?

Perhaps if you can find an all USGI at a shop, the $1000 may be worth the investment down the road.

I do love those Korean era garands, though. And I think the H&R's are particularly nice. It's an easy decision to go through CMP if you want a shooter. From an investment/historical piece standpoint, maybe not.

I missed out on getting a historical one. I intend on shooting it regardless though. At least the HRA's are good shooters so I hear. I have seen some of the HRA's on sale for $1000+ Springfield's for $1500.

I missed out on getting a historical one. I intend on shooting it regardless though. At least the HRA's are good shooters so I hear. I have seen some of the HRA's on sale for $1000+ Springfield's for $1500.

I wonder how much they will sell for when the CMP runs out in the next year or two? Hard to say, but they aren't going to be any cheaper, that's for sure.

I have a CMP Springfield Garand that I bought from an FFL a couple of years ago. It's a Korean War era rifle, dealer claimed it was unissued at the time. May have been arsenal refinished. Was packed in cosmoline when I received it. I've shot it a few times, very nice unit. When you fire this you know you are shooting a rifle. I have recently considering selling it or trading it but I like it so I would not sell it for a loss since I am in no real hurry. Below are some photos:

IMG_0983.jpg IMG_0985.jpg IMG_0986.jpg IMG_0987.jpg IMG_0988.jpg IMG_0989.jpg IMG_0990.jpg IMG_0991.jpg

PM me if you are interested.

CMP is your best source for cheap M1 rifles. If you're too impatient to wait for a CMP rifle, check out the CMP classifieds. There are always a few rifles on there, and most are fairly priced. The NES classifieds is also a good place to look.

It depends on what you are looking for. For the most part what you get from the cmp will be a far better deal than any local gun shop.
For 650.00 delivered from the cmp for a service grade good to very good shooter you will pay 800.00+ for a a rifle that might be as good from a LGS. most garands I see for sale locally are field grade at best and all seem to have been bring backs from someones uncles sisters brothers friend who did the plumbing on the big E.

Just looked at 2 in Outback Arms
These are built by a local man. Franco Scarpino from old colony sportsman club in Pembroke mass.....these are par with the cmp specials BUT frank takes the time to correctly fit the stocks for accuracy by the feel of the trigger I m certain he works these over also. Frank is also a fine shooter. Don't know for sure but I do believe frank builds them to conform to JCG mat h rules. These are one of the few better deals I have seen. This is for a shooting rifle not collecting.
Just a side note.......any garand from the cmp with the new replacement stocks will benifit from proper fitting. Also to add the time into fitting and tweaking a garand for better accuracy takes some patience some research and at least basic hand tools and a bit of mechanical ability....you don't have time patience or skills franks garands are a good deal.
I still recommend to anyone Toby a cmp service grade and as much ammo as you can afford up to the 10 case limit. The wait is worth the saveings alone.

I should mention I shot a match Sunday April 14th with frank (he runs them) over at old colony. With my cmp HRA(which I put easy 10 hours into fitting and tweaking) I was able to pull a 443/500 4x out of my butt to grab my first award. Silver pin.....Frank took the win vgold pin with a 490 or something...200 yard match. 3 or bronze went to a 439

Last edited:
I wonder how much they will sell for when the CMP runs out in the next year or two? Hard to say, but they aren't going to be any cheaper, that's for sure.

I think you will be surprised. I went to the concord gun show. i see CMP rifles the dealers had obviously just bought for $600 (ugly pumpkin colored stocks with CMP cartouches) selling for $995 to $1100. Just because they are HRA does not mean they won't be in demand.

i will kick myself forever for not buying a dozen m1 carbines at $500. now the cheapest is $750. The average is probably closer to $1000 on the CMP forums and last about 15 minutes

I think you will be surprised. I went to the concord gun show. i see CMP rifles the dealers had obviously just bought for $600 (ugly pumpkin colored stocks with CMP cartouches) selling for $995 to $1100. Just because they are HRA does not mean they won't be in demand.

i will kick myself forever for not buying a dozen m1 carbines at $500. now the cheapest is $750. The average is probably closer to $1000 on the CMP forums and last about 15 minutes

I recently scored a 1944 Inland M1 Carbine for $550. It was stamped by Blue Sky, and therefore the import stamp lowered it's price. I don't care cause I got it to shoot and it was in very good condition.

I'm selling raffle tickets (CMFNRA). The winner can choose a really nice CMP H&R Garand or one of two other guns, or $1, 000 cash. The Garand is in my safe as I type!

Technically this is CMP Service Grade, but the muzzle and throat are gorgeous, and the rest is beautiful too.

Tickets are 3 for $20. Drawn in September. All proceeds go to a great cause: supporting the shooting sports in MA via grants to the gun clubs.

These are built by a local man. Franco Scarpino from old colony sportsman club in Pembroke mass.....these are par with the cmp specials BUT frank takes the time to correctly fit the stocks for accuracy by the feel of the trigger I m certain he works these over also. Frank is also a fine shooter. Don't know for sure but I do believe frank builds them to conform to JCG mat h rules. These are one of the few better deals I have seen. This is for a shooting rifle not collecting.
Just a side note.......any garand from the cmp with the new replacement stocks will benifit from proper fitting. Also to add the time into fitting and tweaking a garand for better accuracy takes some patience some research and at least basic hand tools and a bit of mechanical ability....you don't have time patience or skills franks garands are a good deal.
I still recommend to anyone Toby a cmp service grade and as much ammo as you can afford up to the 10 case limit. The wait is worth the saveings alone.

I should mention I shot a match Sunday April 14th with frank (he runs them) over at old colony. With my cmp HRA(which I put easy 10 hours into fitting and tweaking) I was able to pull a 443/500 4x out of my butt to grab my first award. Silver pin.....Frank took the win vgold pin with a 490 or something...200 yard match. 3 or bronze went to a 439

Mac1911: I've run into Franco several times at Camp Perry. Do you know if he is taking on work. I have a friend who needs to have a M1 rebarrelled,

Back
Top Bottom