Looking for a high volume, low hassle .22 can.

dcmdon

NES Member
Hi all.

I've had several older .22 cans and all of them seem to solder themselves together in about 100 rounds requiring a lot of force for disassembly and cleaning.

I understand that .22 cans need to be cleaned. But I'm looking for something where I can go to the range for a day, shoot 500 rounds through it and still have it be easy to disassemble.

Can anyone provide any insight into this?

Thanks,

Don

Last edited:
I own a number of .22 cans. I’ve found the Dead Air Mask is easiest because baffles come apart easily and only fit one way; the Rugged Oculus is the most robust but hard to get baffles apart.

Before buying a new can get Breakthrough Clean Supressor Cleaner. I purchased a gallon of the stuff. You take your suppressor and just throw the whole thing in a ziploc submerged in the stuff over night. Breaks all the carbon and lead down. Afterwards you can just blow dry it or take it apart to wipe clean. It's great stuff. It was recommended to me by the Machinist at Elite Iron. That's where my suppressor is from. It's all they use. They make a container out of pvc tubing and just drop the suppressor in it to soak. I will eventually make up a couple of those.

Before buying a new can get Breakthrough Clean Supressor Cleaner. I purchased a gallon of the stuff. You take your suppressor and just throw the whole thing in a ziploc submerged in the stuff over night. Breaks all the carbon and lead down. Afterwards you can just blow dry it or take it apart to wipe clean. It's great stuff. It was recommended to me by the Machinist at Elite Iron. That's where my suppressor is from. It's all they use. They make a container out of pvc tubing and just drop the suppressor in it to soak. I will eventually make up a couple of those.
Can it be used on an aluminum can? A lot of those really effective solutions will destroy an aluminum can.

I am not commenting on the ones others recommended above. But I know my old YHM Mite is all aluminum.

Can it be used on an aluminum can? A lot of those really effective solutions will destroy an aluminum can.

I am not commenting on the ones others recommended above. But I know my old YHM Mite is all aluminum.
Yup. You are good to go. Here is a link. Read through it.

My limited experience is with a Dead Air Mask and I have no problems or regrets buying it.
Easy to pull apart and clean and sounds great.

Been following as I’m looking for my first .22 can. Thanks for confirming what I saw/read independently about the DA mask. I have other DA products and they’ve performed flawlessly so I doubt this would be different.

Another vote for Dead Air Mask. I also have good experience with TBAC Takedown 22. It’s a slightly slimmer package than the mask. Very similar design. I have to try the Breakthrough Clean product.

s-l1600.jpg

Another vote for Dead Air Mask. I also have good experience with TBAC Takedown 22. It’s a slightly slimmer package than the mask. Very similar design. I have to try the Breakthrough Clean product.

TBAC recommends using CLR to clean, at least for the Fly9 I have (all titanium).
Cheap and available everywhere.

Pretty sure I have 1000 rounds through my DA Mask without a cleaning (yeah, I know). Good can.

Adding a SiCo Switchback next

Good luck getting the baffle stack removed. Im guessing i run about 400 rounds through my Mask HD and the baffles need to be tapped out with a wood dowel. I also make it a habit to coat the o.d. of the baffles with antisieze. 22 Rimfire is a filthy shooting caliber . Stainless steel pin wet tumble with water and vinegar does a pretty good job at cleaning the carbon deposits on the baffles.

Good luck getting the baffle stack removed. Im guessing i run about 400 rounds through my Mask HD and the baffles need to be tapped out with a wood dowel. I also make it a habit to coat the o.d. of the baffles with antisieze. 22 Rimfire is a filthy shooting caliber . Stainless steel pin wet tumble with water and vinegar does a pretty good job at cleaning the carbon deposits on the baffles.
Do you find much lead on the first baffles that needs to be scraped off with a pick.

Back
Top Bottom