Looking for a *lined* holster

walter62

NES Member
I have a newly acquired CCW piece which is in all stainless steel.

I'm looking for companies that may make a Kydex IWB but one that has some
sort of thin/soft inner lining just to keep the piece from getting holster rash.

Anyone know of any companies making such?

I was also suggesting Garrett. I had one for a 1911. It was nice and functioned well but it didn't have a nice click when the gun was inserted and it grabbed a bit when drawing.

I have been extremely happy with my ProTeq IWB, I have been wearing it for two years, several days a week (at 3 O'clock):

Their design is: Kydex all around the gun, horse hide against you. It holds my P365XL very securely and does not move once clipped onto my belt. The horse hide is definitely not thin as you requested, but it provides a very stable backing for the holster. The width of the backer and the clip design keep it very solidly in place during your draw.

I used to wear a Comp-Tac MTACs:
I was very satisfied with them for a while. MTACs have thin-ish leather on the inside and kydex only on the outside of the gun, making the whole holster thinner. I stopped using it because after maybe 50 days of wearing it, the leather started getting soft. Floppy leather on a holster...not so good.
- Comp-Tac's design for their belt clips and variety of clip colors are good. Some claim their plastic clips can break, but I never had a problem with them and the fact that I could pick a shade of tan or brown to better match leather belts helped with concealment.
- Also nice is the fact that you can buy new Kydex "fronts" to attach to the MTAC leather backer (to fit different guns) for far less cost than a whole new holster.

Despite those strengths, I ended up switching to ProTeq because they completely surround the gun in Kydex and have a more stable (wider and thicker) backer design.

Hope that helps!

I have a newly acquired CCW piece which is in all stainless steel.

I'm looking for companies that may make a Kydex IWB but one that has some
sort of thin/soft inner lining just to keep the piece from getting holster rash.

Anyone know of any companies making such?
Holster rash on stainless?
Do you think it will wear thru the finish?

There's screws on the side of the Garrett holster that allow you to set the tension of how tight the holster holds the gun. Each holster is molded to your specific firearm and provides a precise glove fit, especially once the lined leather breaks in a bit. I have a Silent Thunder that I use when I carry and need to tuck my shirt in my pants.

Edit for full disclosure: My EDC Holster is an all leather Milt Sparks VM II when I can wear an overshirt for concealment. IMO, the most comfortable holster out there...

Last edited:
If you want leather lined, why not just a good leather holster? I have all leather, all Kydex and the usual hybrid kind (Kydex shell with leather backing on the side facing the body). As long as it’s a quality holster, I find no difference in retention or “drawability” and they all offer adequate protection for the gun.

God gave us Scotchbrite pads for unfinished stainless steel guns.
or:
bp-03511.jpg

I checked both holster makers I would have recommended's sites before responding.

--------------------
Simply Rugged says:

Question:
Do you line your holsters?
Answer:
Generally NO. It does as much harm as good. People have been told for years that to protect a gun's finish, a soft interior is important. In reality, a soft lining will gather and hold grit and grime and contribute to finish wear. Skeeter Skelton wrote about this 50 years ago and it still holds true.

We do line some custom holsters, occasionally, often due to the nature of the design. A top grain lining, two pieces of holster leather sewn back to back. A superior holster fit will do more to protect a gun's finish than any soft lining.

-------------------

Theis Holsters says in response to "Do you line your holsters?"

I do not line my holsters, and here is my take on this. I have carried both my G27 and my G30 in this type holster for 6 years and there is no holster wear on the leather side of the slide and no holster wear on the kydex side either. It is not the kydex or the leather that wears the finish off the firearm it is the dust particles that settle between the firearm and your holster. As you walk they work on your firearm like sand paper. If you carry every day take a real close look at inside your holster and around the trigger of your firearm and you will see what I am talking about. I unholster every night and at least twice a week wipe down my firearm and inside my holster and I believe that this is why my guns show no holster wear.

-------------------

Good luck in your quest.

Doesn't matter if the lining is made from tanned baby's butt, an EDC pistol is going to show wear at the contact surfaces over time.

Back
Top Bottom