Looking for a local gunsmith that does barrel work

daltrey99

NES Member
Looking for a nearby Gunsmith that can turn/machine a barrel. I have a German G/K43 that needs a barrel. Anyone that knows anything about these rifles knows that barrels are next to impossible to find. A k98 barrel can be machined to fit if the threads are machined off and machined to the right thickness. I will have the proper thickness to machine to from one of my other G/K43's I could also go the route of using a barrel blank in 8mm as well. The G/K43 barrel is pressed into the receiver and not screwed in like a K98. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Pullman Arms turned a barrel for me to add a muzzle brake, I'm sure they can do it. Northeast Arms also comes highly recommend on here.

Just a thought, would it be cheaper to find a barreled action or another rifle in poor condition with a good barrel? You also get some more parts out of it?
Is your current barrel shot out/rusty ?

Just a thought, would it be cheaper to find a barreled action or another rifle in poor condition with a good barrel? You also get some more parts out of it?
Is your current barrel shot out/rusty ?

No it wouldn't be easier. G/K 43s are becoming harder to find. I am restoring one back to 8mm as someone changed the barrel out decades ago and turned it into a .270. Could I leave it as a 270? Sure but I want it back into original configuration. It's really not about doing it cheaper. Everyone that has G/k43's are holding onto everything. I am actually shipping parts in from Europe. Most buggered up barreled receivers are getting restored that's how stiff the availability has become. People used to shun receivers that had the rear sight ears cut off. No more, they are repairing them.

No it wouldn't be easier. G/K 43s are becoming harder to find. I am restoring one back to 8mm as someone changed the barrel out decades ago and turned it into a .270. Could I leave it as a 270? Sure but I want it back into original configuration. It's really not about doing it cheaper. Everyone that has G/k43's are holding onto everything. I am actually shipping parts in from Europe. Most buggered up barreled receivers are getting restored that's how stiff the availability has become. People used to shun receivers that had the rear sight ears cut off. No more, they are repairing them.
depending on a few things it might be cheaper to start with a blank vs trying to convert one due to the setups(work holding) ,its a lot less work to indicate a blank for the chambering and threading vs trying to hold a profiled part to change the threads and adjust the chamber ie cutting it deeper to account for timing(headspace related) and barrel face changes. there's not so much a drastic difference in the amount of work needed in turning time. where youll pay more is due to the setup fees.

depending on a few things it might be cheaper to start with a blank vs trying to convert one due to the setups(work holding) ,its a lot less work to indicate a blank for the chambering and threading vs trying to hold a profiled part to change the threads and adjust the chamber ie cutting it deeper to account for timing(headspace related) and barrel face changes. there's not so much a drastic difference in the amount of work needed in turning time. where youll pay more is due to the setup fees.
Yeah I am open to either way. The reason I mentioned using a K98 barrel is because I know it has been done before. Once you machine off the threads, the shank is the right size on the barrel and then it can be pressed into the receiver. Once in the receiver you can drill the relief for the barrel pin and press the pin in (after setting the proper headspace of course). There are a just 2 other contours on the barrel for the gas block and for the front sight. I am still undecided which way I am going to go. I may get lucky and find an original.

Back
Top Bottom