• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a new Cary gun

Just remember that you want to take perp in one shot.
Do not discount revolver. Small 357 .
I posted a video a while back going over some studies.

Summary: there is very little difference between 9mm, 357 and 45. Statistically it is not very significant and in most situations the person doesnt go down with one shot.

I posted a video a while back going over some studies.

Summary: there is very little difference between 9mm, 357 and 45. Statistically it is not very significant and in most situations the person doesnt go down with one shot.

That is hard to believe!
And I don’t.
Well it's true. Something like 70% of all shootings with a handgun are not fatal, and surprisingly even head shots are survived more often than not. Lots of people have taken multiple handgun rounds but kept fighting long enough to maim or kill, which is why you train to fire until the threat is stopped. Unless you are Mel Gibson. Then every shot is fatal from a 9mm.
357 magnum is essentially a 9mm round with more powder behind it. And when it comes to handgun rounds, there are no reliable studies to show proof of a "one shot stop" caliber.
Where 357 and 40 really excel is barrier penetration, like a windshield or car door. And while I don't think shooting blocks of ballistic gel tell the whole story, it does provide data for comparison.
And barrel length comes into play as well. Snubbies in 357 not only suck to shoot, they suffer from low capacity, decreased accuracy and reduced effectiveness. 357 with a barrel length of 4" or longer performs much better.
I carry 9mm a lot but 45acp or 40 is what I carry when I can.

Well it's true. Something like 70% of all shootings with a handgun are not fatal, and surprisingly even head shots are survived more often than not. Lots of people have taken multiple handgun rounds but kept fighting long enough to maim or kill, which is why you train to fire until the threat is stopped. Unless you are Mel Gibson. Then every shot is fatal from a 9mm.
357 magnum is essentially a 9mm round with more powder behind it. And when it comes to handgun rounds, there are no reliable studies to show proof of a "one shot stop" caliber.
Where 357 and 40 really excel is barrier penetration, like a windshield or car door. And while I don't think shooting blocks of ballistic gel tell the whole story, it does provide data for comparison.
And barrel length comes into play as well. Snubbies in 357 not only suck to shoot, they suffer from low capacity, decreased accuracy and reduced effectiveness. 357 with a barrel length of 4" or longer performs much better.
I carry 9mm a lot but 45acp or 40 is what I carry when I can.
357 even from a two inch pipe will still deliver more energy than 9 or 45, according to the interwebs lol.
I think most shooting situations are less than 20ft. Any farther and you should be beeting feet.
I am more likely wrong according to some.

I am here to learn.

357 even from a two inch pipe will still deliver more energy than 9 or 45, according to the interwebs lol.
I think most shooting situations are less than 20ft. Any farther and you should be beeting feet.

I am here to learn.
Yes, it will deliver more energy, shoot someone in the gut and you won't kill them.

There are plenty of videos of cops shooting someone 6 or 7 times and the person still running at the cop.

I found the video:

View: https://youtu.be/nycYxb-zNwc

It is a starting point, you should still research it. But the video is a nice summary.

Yes, it will deliver more energy, shoot someone in the gut and you won't kill them.

There are plenty of videos of cops shooting someone 6 or 7 times and the person still running at the cop.

I found the video:

View: https://youtu.be/nycYxb-zNwc

It is a starting point, you should still research it. But the video is a nice summary.

Can't we all just agree that 45acp is the best.... because I said so? [laugh]

I’ve posted this video a few times in different threads, maybe this one also with Larry Seecamp talking about stopping power and “stretch cavity”. Interesting to say the least. You can lethally shoot someone but not stop them. If Mike Tyson hit you in the stomach, he wouldn’t kill you but he would stop you.

View: https://youtu.be/rbG7mQ7QMSY

I am here to learn.

If you use the Google machine there are plenty of articles, videos and references to what @Broccoli Iglesias & others have said about there being little difference in documented shooting results between 9mm, .45 & .357. There was even a table the FBI [i believe] put out re the number of shots needed to incapacitate w different calibers and there was no noticeable difference even when they included .380. There wasn’t a single handgun caliber that didn’t take multiple shots to incapacitate. Fatalities require something like 3.something shots on average.

@fencer was spot on about snub .357s. A .357 out of a typical snub carry gun sucks to shoot so people won’t train w it like they will w a 9mm. You lose a lot of energy out of a 2” or even smaller Barrel, 6” is optimum, 4” is good for .357. Typical snub carry type .357s have 5 round capacity. Many are also double action only, the rest are usually single/double action which means either a long trigger pull or manually cocking the hammer, both of which take time & practice. Now do it effectively after the first shot just reverberated through your entire upper body. You can get more shots off accurately & quickly w a micro 9 than a snub .357

There are a lot of reasons to carry snub revolvers. Moar stawping power isn’t one of them.

Welcome to NES, great place to learn. I learned many a lesson from making sweeping and often incorrect generalizations early on, mostly stuff I was told by LGS/range folks or reading one too many articles (opinions) on the interwebs. You’re talking to someone who bought a .40 as my first handgun because I bought into the stopping power hype. I don’t regret it, but if I was doing it again, everything I have in .40 would be in 9 or .45.

If you use the Google machine there are plenty of articles, videos and references to what @Broccoli Iglesias & others have said about there being little difference in documented shooting results between 9mm, .45 & .357. There was even a table the FBI [i believe] put out re the number of shots needed to incapacitate w different calibers and there was no noticeable difference even when they included .380. There wasn’t a single handgun caliber that didn’t take multiple shots to incapacitate. Fatalities require something like 3.something shots on average.

@fencer was spot on about snub .357s. A .357 out of a typical snub carry gun sucks to shoot so people won’t train w it like they will w a 9mm. You lose a lot of energy out of a 2” or even smaller Barrel, 6” is optimum, 4” is good for .357. Typical snub carry type .357s have 5 round capacity. Many are also double action only, the rest are usually single/double action which means either a long trigger pull or manually cocking the hammer, both of which take time & practice. Now do it effectively after the first shot just reverberated through your entire upper body. You can get more shots off accurately & quickly w a micro 9 than a snub .357

There are a lot of reasons to carry snub revolvers. Moar stawping power isn’t one of them.

Welcome to NES, great place to learn. I learned many a lesson from making sweeping and often incorrect generalizations early on, mostly stuff I was told by LGS/range folks or reading one too many articles (opinions) on the interwebs. You’re talking to someone who bought a .40 as my first handgun because I bought into the stopping power hype. I don’t regret it, but if I was doing it again, everything I have in .40 would be in 9 or .45.

Attachments

• 7046EC7F-9C1D-43D9-8AA0-8908575E544D.png
    7046EC7F-9C1D-43D9-8AA0-8908575E544D.png
    921.4 KB · Views: 3
So pretty but that’s gotta sting like a mofo... including on the wallet. What is that barrel, an inch?

So pretty but that’s gotta sting like a mofo... including on the wallet. What is that barrel, an inch?

It's actually 2", but it looks like less because the gun is so big and a lot of it is inside the frame rather than inside the titanium sleeve. I always wondered why they didn't just make it a 2.5" so that it wouldn't look quite so weird.

It's actually 2", but it looks like less because the gun is so big. I always wondered why they didn't just make it a 2.5" so that it wouldn't look quite so weird.

Looks like it got shrinkage from the cold water. And scandium frame... I fell in love w the 329PD (.44mag) the first time I held it but could tell it was too light to comfortably shoot that caliber. Have seen many posts/reviews that attest to how crappy it is to shoot. Damn beautiful to look at & hold tho.

You have not made your self aware.
It is good to learn and keep an open mind.

Maybe that's why he's asking...

And pointing out an exorbitant price is not a bad thing. That's collectors' item pricing. I can think of other "tools" that do just as good a job just as well at half the price or less, but to each his own.

Do some research.
2” pipe and still around 1200fps.
Federal hst and you will stop and think about what you thought you were doing.

Do some research.
2” pipe and still around 1200fps.
Federal hst and you will stop and think about what you thought you were doing.
Do research says the guy who still doesn’t understand that [multiple] shot placement is more important than muzzle velocity.

Back
Top Bottom