Looking for a new waterfowl shotgun

Hey all, newbie here looking for some shot gun advice:

I'm 23, just finished my second season of waterfowl hunting in MA. I've been using a Mossberg 535 pump gun. It's never failed me in the field but at this point I'm ready to step up to a nice semi auto.

My requirements are: 28 inch barrel, able to cycle 2 3/4 through 3 1/2 mags, and be able to withstand field duties. Price should be 1500 bucks or less. I know, thats a lot of cake, but this is the last shotgun I will buy for a very long time and it needs to be tough and versatile.

I'm looking at Benelli Super Black Eagle 2s and Beretta Xtrema 2s. Does anyone have any experience with these guns? Or experience with a replacement? I've fired the Beretta and loved it. I've only heard great things about Benelli but have never used one.

thanks!
Adam

I love my Xtrema2 ... I don't hunt myself so it was for skeet/clays.

Its an awesome shotgun to shoot, cycles smoothly and the recoil is barely noticable (too me).

They are hard as hell to come by brand new in MA just as an FYI. Atleast it was for me to find. From what I understand Beretta is not the easiest manufacturer to deal with as an FFL here in MA.

I got mine at Northeast Traders for around $1100 if I remember correctly.

My old college buddy has a Benelli SBE. Awesome shotgun. Only tried it a handful of times but it shot great with mild recoil even with 3.5 TT or was it BBB shot? Don't remember but either case, it was much better than my mossy 835 with the same load. (ugh)

I don't think you can go wrong either either one though but it's alot of money to put into a gun that will get banged around alot. We went seaduck hunting once and just the salt air exposure for a few hours created havoc on both of our guns. I was glad I only spent less than 300 on mine.

You won't go wrong with either the Benneli or Beretta. I would go to a shop that has both and try them for size and pick the one that felt best.

I personally felt that the Xtrema 2 fit me better, but that's what it would come down to. Try both if you can.

Check out the Mossberg 935 too - it's supposed to be a great shotgun at 1/2 the price of a Beretta. That's a lot of shotgun shells, or a great hunting trip!

I personally felt that the Xtrema 2 fit me better, but that's what it would come down to. Try both if you can.

Check out the Mossberg 935 too - it's supposed to be a great shotgun at 1/2 the price of a Beretta. That's a lot of shotgun shells, or a great hunting trip!

I'm leary of the 935, as it was made for 3 and 3.5 inch shells. It will chamber the 2.75, but I've heard nothing but nightmares about it cycling them. I need this gun to function shooting skeet, pheasant, duck, and goose. I don't think the 935 can handle it all.

Adam

Just to bring some closure, I fired my first 50 rounds last night through my brand new Beretta Xtrema2. The gun is unbelievable... it shoulders so easy, the fit is great, and its LIGHT! I got the Kick-Off option, and while shooting skeet loads there is essentially no recoil.

I chose the Beretta over the Benelli because it just fit me better. The Benelli has some funky styling cues and it just didn't feel as good.

Adam

Just to bring some closure, I fired my first 50 rounds last night through my brand new Beretta Xtrema2. The gun is unbelievable... it shoulders so easy, the fit is great, and its LIGHT! I got the Kick-Off option, and while shooting skeet loads there is essentially no recoil.

I chose the Beretta over the Benelli because it just fit me better. The Benelli has some funky styling cues and it just didn't feel as good.

Adam

Enjoy it! I know I do.

Back
Top Bottom