• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a paintball marker (gun)

I dont get why everyone is so fascinated with the tippmann 98.. Yes its cheap and its reliable but its only semi automatic.. why not spend a extra 150 or so and get the Tippmann Crossover which is a semi and a automatic gun if you want. They also have the reliability of a 98 but are much more efficient on air + accuracy. Its a gun that can be shot out of the box without any upgrades. Tippmanns where cool a few years ago there's a lot better things out on the market that do more things also.

Since everyone is posting there guns I thought Id show a few of mine [rolleyes]

me i hated full auto, to me for woodsball its pointless, your just wasting paint. More things that could go wrong with guns, I had a Spyder E99, it was my first and last electric gun. Even my autococker i kept semi-auto

- - - Updated - - -

Oh man, the first mod we all did was install the biggest expansion chambers we could afford, and we still would put a pair of wool tube socks on the tank because we couldn't afford the neoprene covers. Mem'ries!

my first gun was a Spyder Compact 2000, i had a huge expansion chamber on it aswell, [laugh] the good old days of paintball, cheap guns, playing every weekend.

I have a few for sale if you are interested
tippman 98 with e grip
planet eclipse 07 ego redz edition
smart parts ion redz edition
pm me

me i hated full auto, to me for woodsball its pointless, your just wasting paint. More things that could go wrong with guns, I had a Spyder E99, it was my first and last electric gun. Even my autococker i kept semi-auto

- - - Updated - - -

my first gun was a Spyder Compact 2000, i had a huge expansion chamber on it aswell, [laugh] the good old days of paintball, cheap guns, playing every weekend.

Full auto is good if you play it right. As soon as the game starts I start spraying in the other teams direction while everyone on my team spreads out. Keeps the attention on me, not everyone advancing and their heads down.

Disadvantage is after a few games the opposing team was taking me out first.

Full auto is good if you play it right. As soon as the game starts I start spraying in the other teams direction while everyone on my team spreads out. Keeps the attention on me, not everyone advancing and their heads down.

Disadvantage is after a few games the opposing team was taking me out first.

most fields don't allow actual full auto,ramping, or anything like that. Their insurance only allows for semi, but the response trigger is an exception to this rule.

Most fields? Where the hell do you play? Lol... Fox 4 , Boston paintball two of the biggest paintball fields in MA all allow ramping its capped but its still technically auto

I've found that the big scenario games at Fox4 are by far the funnest. The last one I did was back in 2011 and the teams were 200 v 200. Game ran all day, so there was always action to be had. They set the games up similar to a video game, with missions for small teams, respawn points if you get tagged, etc. The last game of the day is usually the best, since they allow you to use any mode on your marker, smoke grenades, etc.

[video=youtube_share;xwwYG3ZHELc]http://youtu.be/xwwYG3ZHELc[/video]

Tippmann A-5. Period. Best gun for the price. Its a better Tippmann 98 Custom, basically. Hugely improved due to the cyclone feed. I've never chopped a ball in mine and never had any other issue either. Stock barrel is worthless though. Get a Flatline or at least a 16" aftermarket.

Ive been playing since about 89, mostly woods and scenario games, speedball is just too boringfor my tastes. Played several years on Pub Crawling, those of you at fox 4 or p&l may have heard of them.

I am partial to tiopmans myself, they are very durable and run at lower pressures then the stacked tube spyders and the like so operate better in.cold temps and get more shots from a tank.

Before pub crawling was sponsored by eclipse i had bought an ego to replace my ebladed gen x 3 autococker. I do like their markers a lot, i have never had a problem with the ego and it is so much lighter then the cocker, which if anyone interested in it i may be willing to sell.

So the short version is woods or rec ball tippmann or eclipse, speedball eclipse.

Edit: if you do go with a tippmann, their guns are great but barrels suck, consider a new barrel purchase at same time of the gun when you make the decision.

Last edited:
Lets see, I can post a pic of mine, some of them predate the shoebox someone posted:

934865_10200147951127957_1538044825_n.jpg

941809_10200147951087956_779727774_n.jpg

They are not. The same paintball traveling 300fps out of the same barrel of a pump or semi will be treatdd by physics equaly. That is if you are talking accurate as in the paintball hitting where you are aiming. If you want a more accurate follow up shot then the semi is better, you wont be moving the marker and point of aim with the pumping action.

Edit: place called emr in pa has a castle one acre in size, twice a year is a game of about 200 defenders against 800 attackers. One year a bunch of pumpers thought they could defend the castle alone. We totally trounced them and would have captured the objectives in record time except we held the last one to taunt them, we had them pinned in one corner and were going to try and make them surrender. The refs made us turn in the last prop and end the game. Pumps even when given superior defenses are still no match for semis.

Last edited:
They are not. The same paintball traveling 300fps out of the same barrel of a pump or semi will be treated by physics equally. That is if you are talking accurate as in the paintball hitting where you are aiming. If you want a more accurate follow up shot then the semi is better, you wont be moving the marker and point of aim with the pumping action.

I suppose accuracy is more a function of barrel and paintball consistency, but the pumps should be more consistent in terms of velocity than the semis. By far my biggest issue with paintball is the inherent lack of accuracy. If only Simunition wasn't so pricey/painful, it would make for a great alternative.

The pumps and most semis use the same firing mechanism so one is not more accurate. They both fire from a closed bolt, they both have a valve held closed by a spring and a hammer held back by a spring, the trigger pull releases the hammer which slams the valve pin and releases air to fire the ball.

You want better accuracy then use hp air, use a good regulator since the more consistent the pressure the better shot to shot accuracy u will have, use higher grade paintballs they will be consistent in size weight shape and roundness. The smaller the variance you have when shooting over a chrono the better. Tbe 68 carbine in my pic with palmers regulator once shot 298, 297, 298 over a chrono which is damn near perfect.

Long time ago someone made/sold something called sniper balls i think. It wasnt a paintball but a set of fins to glue onto a paintball. They would have would have to be breech loaded one at a time since no one made a break barrel design but those were more accurate i heard.

I had a 98 for a long time. Then went to a auto cocker and eventually a matrix. I've since sold em all off though.

The 98 is a solid gun. Very customizable and lasts forever.

I have a Tippman A5, and the thing is rock solid reliable.

Personally, have to recommend P&L Outdoor though, used to work for them, still love playing there. The Ghost Town remains one of my favorite fields ever.

+1 to that. played there last weekend. The ghost town is great, and the other 7 or 8 fields are also good too.

Pnl is good stuff. I am actively on the field team and ref there occasionally.
Nectaris, look up first strike. Everything old is new again. I am familiar with pub crawling, blues crew, and more. I always hang with the carters commandoe guys when I hit emr.

I beg to disagree a bit. Accuracy is more a Paint to barrel match then a gun match. Yeah some markers are more reliable than others (the most accurate marker I ever owned was an Excalibur, and Palmer had some GREAT ones), but the better markers deliver "soft paint"/"thin shelled" good stuff (evil) more reliable without breaking. (Which is WHY the cocker method overcame the Angel ROF, the Cocker method was much softer then the Venturi bolt which will for once and all prove the cocker was better than the Automag)

Paint to POA (Point of Aim) is ALL about the barrel to paint match. It's why most of us had many different backs to our barrels back in the days. (when they became available about 1998 or so, THANK YOU Smart Parts and then Dave Youngblood).

But Markers are chosen for different reasons and situations, as are firearms. You're not gonna take a Beretta 92FS to shoot Trap, as you are not gonna take a Matrix to shoot rec-ball (well you could and should, but you won't be cool as it's not camo with frilly crap hanging off it).

Decide what you want to do (for the moment as it can all change in a heartbeat) and then buy the appropriate marker. But for me, it was always superior firepower first. Never want to get outgunned in a gun-battle.

But the ramping/full auto/slave chips are banned on most fields and only used in X-Ball. But they're capped at 12 balls per second. Which is slow if you're doing it right, so keep the "cheater chips" aside and learn how to ride your trigger properly, and have a hopper to keep up.

But enough for the disgression into the history of paintball for now. What do you want a marker for? Backwoods play, rec-ball, x-ball, NEPL, NPPS, PSP, ?????????

I disagree with your disagree. The paint to barrell match is more about selecting the right bore size for the paintball to maximize gas efficiency and minimize breakage. Too large a bore and the paintball could roll out the barrell before being fired on a closed bolt marker, too large a bore and you will have to use more air to propel the ball since some may escape around the paintball, too small a bore and you create too much pressure/friction on the paintball causing breaks in the barrel.

It really is not about accuracy. If you notice most of the barrels, even non variable bore size barrels, are a stepped bore meaning the bore gets larger at some point after the first initial 2-6". Doesn't matter if the beginning bore is .679 or .689 since the bore at the end of the barrel will always be .695 no matter what sleeve you are using (I am making up the numbers since I couldn't tell you one barrels id to another but the point is the end bore is always larger then the beginning).

Accuracy comes from a paintball with the most uniform size, shape, weight, paint cosistency (no air bubbles), and smoothest seam to each other and a marker that can shoot at the most constant velocity. A marker that chronos at 295, 280, 289 will be a lot less accurate then a marker that shoots 298,298,298.

I will conceed one point, if using a barrel with a defective or poor inside finish that could have an impact on accuracy, if the finish is rough in spots or there is a burr it could impart spins on the paintball which would hinder the paintball flying in a straight path.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the info. I am leaning right now toward the Alpha Black tactical. What are the best projectiles to purchased that will stay intact until the target is hit? I am looking for this for the SHTF situation where I can "blind" my target. So with this in mind is the Alpha Black Tactical still a good choice? If I stock up on projectiles do I need to also stock up on "gas"? If so, (and I believe it is) what is the best for long term storage.

Please be patient with me as I am a newbee to this.

Thanks
Scooter58

Its not a good idea at all. If you need it in a hurry you would have to store the paint in the marker which over time would be ruined by heat and humidity or by the cold. Any tiny small air leak and after sitting for months u could find an empty tank when needed. If u get an electronic marker the battery could be dead after sitting for months. After sitti.g for months the oil may dry up and dust collect making the marker not cycle when needed. If its a shtf gun and needed outside what if its raining? When raindrops get in the barrel they make the paintballs fly in all directions but straight when you shoot.

If this is your only option then your best bet is a mechanical marker, get one with or install an on/off valve for the air. And if u can find them get nylon balls, they not paint but solid nylon, i have about 30 and trust me you dont want to get hit by those and they nit effected by heat cold or humidity

Its not a good idea at all. If you need it in a hurry you would have to store the paint in the marker which over time would be ruined by heat and humidity or by the cold. Any tiny small air leak and after sitting for months u could find an empty tank when needed. If u get an electronic marker the battery could be dead after sitting for months. After sitti.g for months the oil may dry up and dust collect making the marker not cycle when needed. If its a shtf gun and needed outside what if its raining? When raindrops get in the barrel they make the paintballs fly in all directions but straight when you shoot.

If this is your only option then your best bet is a mechanical marker, get one with or install an on/off valve for the air. And if u can find them get nylon balls, they not paint but solid nylon, i have about 30 and trust me you dont want to get hit by those and they nit effected by heat cold or humidity

Those are called reballs. They are essentially rubber paintballs but if he wants to "blind" his enemy those wont do that they just hurt more than traditional paintballs

Shooting to blind will get you in a lot more legal trouble than you want to deal with. Please seek abother avenue for your defensive needs. A paintball gun is very poorly suited to what you want.

Those are called reballs. They are essentially rubber paintballs but if he wants to "blind" his enemy those wont do that they just hurt more than traditional paintballs

I played paintball for 20 years, i know what reballs are, i have several pods full. I also have some solid nylon 68 caliber balls, if you thought reballs hurt these will ruin your day and not curve when the velocity gets turned up.

- - - Updated - - -

I would rather use a .22 then a paintball gun. My guess is this person is too young or not able to get a permit in mass.

Most fields? Where the hell do you play? Lol... Fox 4 , Boston paintball two of the biggest paintball fields in MA all allow ramping its capped but its still technically auto

Boston Paintball does NOT allow ramping in recreational play. Only during practices and tournaments.

If you decided to sell the Autococker pump, let me know. I'm looking for one for my son to go along with my CCI Phantom (and my wife's as well).

OP - AF has good points. The type of paintball you are going to play most needs to guide your choice in markers. If you are playing in the woods with friends, or on local fields (Fox 4 comes to mind), then the Tippmann 98 is a great marker. Couple bucks more gets you an A5 (have one). Those are great for starting b/c you can customize the hell out of them! If you are playing speedball...good luck. You'll need an electronic marker and LOTS of paint!!

We've (wife plays too) been through a bunch of Tippmans, and couple of Spyders, couple of elctros (Invert Mini and PMR), and more pumps than I can count. We've settled into playing pump almost exclusively. We both started with the Tippman and went from there.

Oh, and neither of us plays speedball. Why waste the paint and Best Beginner Paintball Gun? Of course, I've also played games with an original Nel-spot pistol and twenty rounds. :D

Aloha
Me and my friend want to get into paintballing.

What are some good, cheap guns?

I do NOT want a Tippmann 98 custom, EVERYONE in my school has one, and I don't want to be like everyone else.

I don't really want the A-5 either, too expensive for a first gun.

I want something right around 100$.

My friend had a Spyder Imagine and I really liked it. Comfortable, pretty powerful, and it shot pretty far. Plus it was automatic. He also had a Spyder Aggressor I think it was, also pretty nice.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
look into an etek or a pre08 ego. light, efficient, and will keep up. also an emek can work.
spyders are underappreciated workhorses.
most important thing is a good mask

Back
Top Bottom