Looking for a paintball marker (gun)

Hi All,

As the title says I'm looking for a paintball gun. I know nothing about them and want to get something decent (best "bang" for the buck). I am looking for suggestions as to make and model. I've read that the Tippmann 98 is a good starter marker?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you
Scooter58

it is. good value excellent reliability and plenty of them out there. plus it looks like a 'black rifle' not that hippie crap multi-color anodized and chrome all over shit.
i played PB back in my school days and i used bare-bones tippmann 98 custom with ACT. never had an issue. sold it 5 years later for two thirds the price of what i paid for it. not a bad value retention if you ask me.

Last edited:
Hey Scooter. I may have exactly what you are looking for. Its a Model 98 done up to look and feel like a M4. It also has a response trigger which is the paintball equivilant of a slidefire. Basically it does FA if you hold trigger in sweet spot. I have been toying with parting with it for a while. If it is something you are interested in, pm me. Ill put together a starter package for you. I have tons of parts accessories that I never use. Im flying today so my response time may be slow.

Look at ebay for package deals, people are always upgrading and selling off good equipment lots.

Personally I went with a spyder e99 years ago. I can change the settings to single shot, three round burst or full auto at a rate your choice. Just need to match the hopper to your feed rate.
Had not run it in 5 years, cleaned and lubed it and it worked great last weekend at my brother's bachelor party. Not the best gun but a decent starter gun.

I would say it depends on what you play and how often you play it. I was into paintball for years and spent ALOT of money making markers shoot ropes ( paintballs coming out so fast it looks like a rope) I could empty a 240 round hopper in 8 seconds on "ramping".

If you plan on playing on a speedball field I wouldn't used a tippman 98 lol. If you are going to play woods ball with friends now and them buy a 98.

I've since sold all but 3 paintball markers. An autococker 99 converted into a pump action, an early shoebox shocker 4x4 (one of the original electronic guns), and a pistol that is designed for police training and crowd control ( ball exits at 400fps instead of 200 fps. It breaks windows lol)

I would say it depends on what you play and how often you play it. I was into paintball for years and spent ALOT of money making markers shoot ropes ( paintballs coming out so fast it looks like a rope) I could empty a 240 round hopper in 8 seconds on "ramping".

If you plan on playing on a speedball field I wouldn't used a tippman 98 lol. If you are going to play woods ball with friends now and them buy a 98.

I've since sold all but 3 paintball markers. An autococker 99 converted into a pump action, an early shoebox shocker 4x4 (one of the original electronic guns), and a pistol that is designed for police training and crowd control ( ball exits at 400fps instead of 200 fps. It breaks windows lol)

If you decided to sell the Autococker pump, let me know. I'm looking for one for my son to go along with my CCI Phantom (and my wife's as well).

OP - AF has good points. The type of paintball you are going to play most needs to guide your choice in markers. If you are playing in the woods with friends, or on local fields (Fox 4 comes to mind), then the Tippmann 98 is a great marker. Couple bucks more gets you an A5 (have one). Those are great for starting b/c you can customize the hell out of them! If you are playing speedball...good luck. You'll need an electronic marker and LOTS of paint!!

We've (wife plays too) been through a bunch of Tippmans, and couple of Spyders, couple of elctros (Invert Mini and PMR), and more pumps than I can count. We've settled into playing pump almost exclusively. We both started with the Tippman and went from there.

Oh, and neither of us plays speedball. Why waste the paint? Of course, I've also played games with an original Nel-spot pistol and twenty rounds. :D

Aloha

If you are playing speedball...good luck. You'll need an electronic marker and LOTS of paint!!

Oh, and neither of us plays speedball. Why waste the paint? Of course, I've also played games with an original Nel-spot pistol and twenty rounds. :D

Aloha

Not really. I play speedball all the time and I'm lucky if I use a full hopper in one game. I've also played with a pump when everyone else had semi. Its all in how you play, and to me those one ball shots are what I go for, rather than spray and pray.

To the OP, anything Tippman makes will last you forever. I've had my a5 since they came out in the early 2000s, and it is still going strong. I would recommend a 98 custom as a starter though. And play both woods and speedball to see what you like. You might find out you like one way more than the other.

Not really. I play speedball all the time and I'm lucky if I use a full hopper in one game. I've also played with a pump when everyone else had semi. Its all in how you play, and to me those one ball shots are what I go for, rather than spray and pray.

To the OP, anything Tippman makes will last you forever. I've had my a5 since they came out in the early 2000s, and it is still going strong. I would recommend a 98 custom as a starter though. And play both woods and speedball to see what you like. You might find out you like one way more than the other.

Sorry I forgot the smilie. I was kidding about the paint. I've seen speedball played in Hawaii with pumps only and a five man team my shoot 20 rounds total. It's all about the one ball. But, I've seen a lot more rec ball/speedball games where players are going through CASES of paint before lunch.

Definitely get out there and try it. I'm glad my kids are almost old enough to get into it.

Aloha

I played competitively in my younger years and reffed at a local field. It really depends on what you want it for, amd how often you use it/play. Then it boils down more to the gas system. No one who uses one a lot would use Co2 over N2. The N2 tanks are more expensive, say $100-300 (vs $35 for Co2) but depending on the setup, and are much cheaper (sometimes free) to fill and hold way more shots per fill. N2 also isn't temp sensitive which holds many advantages over Co2 but the biggest one is your gun will never turn into a ice cube and ruin all your O rings. If you go the N2 rout, I'd look hard at the Smartparts Ion. That was all the rage a few years ago and it's still a awesome marker but you could find one on the cheap.

Nes paintball outing?boston paintball has an out door field at the maynard gun club i used to work at boston paintball and played on their factory team. Ah memories.

I used an ego when I played tournament and a pump in the woods. Personally I'd say go with a proto pmr it's good on air and can be upgraded if need be.

Hi All,

As the title says I'm looking for a paintball gun. I know nothing about them and want to get something decent (best "bang" for the buck). I am looking for suggestions as to make and model. I've read that the Tippmann 98 is a good starter marker?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you
Scooter58

Tell me a little about what you plan on playing. Do you plan on play recreational? once a month or maybe a few times a year? once a week?

If your new to the sport honestly go with either a Empire Axe or for a lower end get the Tippman Crossover.

Stay away from a tippman 98 they are old and in my opinion suck lol.

Source : Ive played D2 paintball and traveled all over the country for national 5 man and 7 man tournaments including the PSP and NPPL and have been sponsored by many companies. Markers owned Ego 9 / 1 of 5 SL94 / Luxe / Geo 2 / and was sponsored by Vanguard and shot the Demon and Creed.

Have any questions feel free to message me I can help you in the right direction with anything you need.

it all depends on what your playing, if you are playing woodsball, go with a Tippman 98 or A5, they are reliable as hell, throw a good barrell on it and dont run CO2 and you will good, if your playing speedball, there are so many choices, but when i played the best gun was the DYE DM4. I had a 98 custom and an Autococker all done up, it was sick

Still love my 98, great seeing how many of us still use one. Just bought the J&J Ceramic I always meant to get when I was poor, playing in high school. Maybe I'll actually get around to putting on a rev before I make it out to the field this year.

Personally, have to recommend P&L Outdoor though, used to work for them, still love playing there. The Ghost Town remains one of my favorite fields ever.

OP - for a first marker, you can't go wrong with a Tippmann or a Spyder. Biggest things I'd say are to go with N2/HPA/whatever they want to call it these days, and a powered hopper. Those two upgrades alone will drop your likelihood of chopping paint exponentially.

OP - for a first marker, you can't go wrong with a Tippmann or a Spyder. Biggest things I'd say are to go with N2/HPA/whatever they want to call it these days, and a powered hopper. Those two upgrades alone will drop your likelihood of chopping paint exponentially.

amen to this, CO2 sucks especially in the cold. I use to have to wrap a sock with glove warmers to keep it warm [laugh]

I used to play paintball a lot before I got into firearms, worked at a field for years. I agree with what others have said about Tippmann 98 Custom's and A-5's. If I was going to get a basic gun to tool around with a field I'd go with a 98 Custom. Very popular, reliable and lots of available add ons. (A lot like AR's) Beyond that, depending on your budget and how much time and effort you want to invest, there are better guns still for a decent price. From what I remember, Smart Parts Ion's and Dye Proto's were inexpensive electronic guns that were selling and performing well. I'm sure a lot of new cool stuff has come out in the last few years so my information is a bit dated. Some good guns can be had cheap on the used market as well. My all time favorites are autocockers and the DYE matrix guns. I've sold all but my autococker, Shocker and DYE matrix (I loved the DYE DM series). I'm definitely in for a NES paintball trip, haven't played in years. P&L would be great, not too far.

I'll throw in some pics of my toys:
EVolution.jpgShocker.JPGMatrix.JPG

Since everyone's doing it
0923080820.jpg

In high school I worked at the "headquarters" for National Survival Games owned by Bob Gurnsey - the "paintball guy". That was an interesting place to work! Anyway, never been involved in organized competition - just in the woods hunt and shoot kind of thing. Though I haven't played much recently, I picked up a Tippman 98 custom and an aftermarket barrel for those rare occasions where I do play, or where I just feel like painting some trees in my backyard with my 5yo. Makes me laugh at what it was like running around with our "splatmasters" - though a good shot to the head from cover still isn't any better! There are tons of aftermarket parts and mods available for the 98 custom, and it seems like it is a good solid platform at a good starting price.

I dont get why everyone is so fascinated with the tippmann 98.. Yes its cheap and its reliable but its only semi automatic.. why not spend a extra 150 or so and get the Tippmann Crossover which is a semi and a automatic gun if you want. They also have the reliability of a 98 but are much more efficient on air + accuracy. Its a gun that can be shot out of the box without any upgrades. Tippmanns where cool a few years ago there's a lot better things out on the market that do more things also.

126_zps351394ac.jpg

128_zps3e83518c.jpg

Since everyone is posting there guns I thought Id show a few of mine [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom