Looking for a suggestion on a 2+ 6 meter mobile FM with SSB

I am Looking for a suggestion on a 2+ 6 meter mobile FM with SSB I've been off the air for quite a while N1TNP

Also I have posted a few Liner amps and a SWR Meter in the yard sale section Also I posted 2 Astron Power supplies on EBay today

MikeL131 N1TNP

Hi Mike,

As far as I know, there are no 2mtr/6mtr only fm/ssb rigs out there. Icom made a IC-706 series that was HF through 440 and was all mode. I own the earliest model that they made in that series and it's HF through 2 meters. The head was removable and you could remote the RF deck part but those remote kits are now very difficult to find. The newer "Mk" series included 440 all mode and I think the power on 2 meters was boosted to 35 watts. On mine, it is (I think) 10 watts.

Search on those rigs for specs and it will tell you more than I can tell you here. They can be had for about $400 for the earlier models and $5-600 for the Mk series. The whole line has been discontinued so you would have to buy a used one. I think Yaesu is still making HF through 440 mobile rigs and from what I understand, they are quite nice....and remote kits are probably still available for those and at a more reasonable price too.

Last edited:
I am Looking for a suggestion on a 2+ 6 meter mobile FM with SSB I've been off the air for quite a while N1TNP

Also I have posted a few Liner amps and a SWR Meter in the yard sale section Also I posted 2 Astron Power supplies on EBay today

MikeL131 N1TNP
Even if you found one I think your limiting yourself but if it's what you want okay. I've never heard or seen a rig like that though.

Careful with the 706s. They are great radios, but they have a lot of custom parts that are not obtainable anymore. If something blows, Icom will not service them in most cases. You'll be stuck with a paperweight.

Icom does make a 706 replacement.

IC7100.

Careful with the 706s. They are great radios, but they have a lot of custom parts that are not obtainable anymore. If something blows, Icom will not service them in most cases. You'll be stuck with a paperweight.

Icom does make a 706 replacement.

IC7100.

Not so much custom but discontinued power fets discontinued by the manufacturer (I think Sanyo). For some years they were available but like everything else something better comes along and over several years the manufacturer will no longer make the parts. I think the power fets used in the latest iteration of the 706’s are still available or at least they were about three years ago. Again, things change.

Interesting and good to know. Are their often problems with the 706 that warrant repairs?

Interesting and good to know. Are their often problems with the 706 that warrant repairs?
The only thing that is hard/impossible to get in the 706 is the final power FETs but that is typical of many solid state transceivers that are over 20 years old. Almost all solid state transceivers have "custom" parts in them....usually the displays, internal tuners, etc...again, this is typical for relatively modern transceivers. I have one of the original IC-706's and never had a problem with it...and I've used it a lot.

The only thing that is hard/impossible to get in the 706 is the final power FETs but that is typical of many solid state transceivers that are over 20 years old. Almost all solid state transceivers have "custom" parts in them....usually the displays, internal tuners, etc...again, this is typical for relatively modern transceivers. I have one of the original IC-706's and never had a problem with it...and I've used it a lot.
I was curious about this as I have a 706. I'm used to having old tube boat anchors and even some solid state ones but wanted more info on the PA FET issue. It looks like I'm safe as ICOM changed the PA final FETs beginning with a new serial number range which is what I have. Whew! S/N's beginning with a 0 have the old FET and beginning with s/n 1,500,000 got the new FET.

I was curious about this as I have a 706. I'm used to having old tube boat anchors and even some solid state ones but wanted more info on the PA FET issue. It looks like I'm safe as ICOM changed the PA final FETs beginning with a new serial number range which is what I have. Whew! S/N's beginning with a 0 have the old FET and beginning with s/n 1,500,000 got the new FET.
Do you have an "original" 706 (no Mk xx)? As far as I know, the originals 706's all have the same FETs. There were two follow on models to the original 706...the Mk II and I think it was called the Mk IIG. I don't know if they used different FETs between the two "newer" models but I think they did...

Not the definitive '706 history but this may give you some insight as to the different models...

The key is the S/N prefix I mentioned. Yes, also it is a MKIIG. Like I said I looked into it after you brought it up because I wanted to know if my rig was a potential issue. It isn't because the 15xxxxx+ S/Ns are the newer FET

The key is the S/N prefix I mentioned. Yes, also it is a MKIIG. Like I said I looked into it after you brought it up because I wanted to know if my rig was a potential issue. It isn't because the 15xxxxx+ S/Ns are the newer FET
That's good news for you...I have a spare set of final FETS for my 706 that I bought when I heard they were being discontinued. I still have them packed away, just in case the ones in my rig go Tango Uniform. I think I paid $30 each for them at the time. Like ammo, if you can find them, you'll pay north of $200 for a set.

The key to not killing finals in those, or any other radio for that matter, is to keep them clean inside...take the covers off once or twice a year and blow out the dust with compressed air and make sure the fan is clean (and is actually working).

It's amazing how much dust collects inside a radio with a fan (or fans) on it. Heat kills.

Back
Top Bottom