Looking for an NES Mover....

Well, figure since times are tough I'll give NES'ers the first option on taking some of my money. It looks like I'm going to be purchasing a safe off craigslist and I'm looking for a mover to do the move.

The safe weighs in at 840 pounds, empty. It measures 61x36x28. It needs to go up 4 stairs(stairs, not flights) and out through a garage door. At my house it's a direct shot into the house, no stairs. The safe will be traveling a distance of 3 miles from current location to destination.

I'm young and strong, but I've got a bad back so my help on the move will be minimal but I'll do my best. I've got 2 quotes already but like I said I would rather give my money to an NES'er in need of work. It's a relatively small job for a mover, but it's better than no job.

Thanks in advance,

Squish

Whereabouts are you ? Do you have a truck?
Your profile doesn't list a state or town. I have a small pick up but my hand truck is just a bit too small with an 800 lb capacity.

Would need to rent a bigger one from U-haul - hand truck that is, not truck-truck. Just about $10.00 to 15.00 depending on location. I'm in the Monadnock area of NH. With three others this would be easy. I just moved a slightly smaller safe with two other folks. Its really not that difficult.

If you're not too far I might be able to help.

Sorry this is going from West Peabody to North Reading. I honestly don't think a hand truck will be enough for this piece. Maybe a motorized hand truck, but I think the regular hand truck would be tough to fit 3-4 guys in the stair well going up the 4 stairs into the garage.

You're a bit far for me but, U-haul has "Appliance" hand trucks with a capacity of 1,000 lbs. (No I don't work for U-haul.)

Most places will load the safe into your truck.
Two on top pulling, two under pushing / lifting. Been there, done that.
4 steps would be a piecs of cake.

Good luck to ya.

I have a headstone dolly/truck rated @ around a ton, 4 tires w/ a brake. You can borrow it if it is returned in the same condition it leaves my house. Will handle your safe no problem. As for the 4 strong backs that is up to you.

I have a heritage safe about the same weight. Myself and two other guys did it with a good hand truck and a furniture dolly (and my silverado). It was a pain is the butt - yet we got it done. Good luck.

I contacted Middlesex Movers out of Watertown as well as about 4-5 other places. Just going to shop around for the right quote. I got such a good deal on the safe I have no problem paying $200+ to move it even if it's only 3 miles and an hour worth of work.

If you do end up having to do it yourself... but some 1 inch steel pipe, a piece of 3/4 inch plywood (cheapest you can) and 6 2x4x8s.... screw 3 each of the 2x4s together (face to face) to make ramps to get it out of your truck, making sure to put them on the BUMPER not the tailgate!!! put the otehr ends on the 3rd step....place 3 pipe pieces and the plywood in the doorway, slide safe down ramps onto plywood and roll the safe to its location moving the bars as they roll out from under the plywood. I did this with a friends safe that admittedly weight less... but it worked well...

I definitely won't end up doing it myself. I already have 1 quote from an external moving company. I just wanted to extend the option to NES'ers looking for work. Anything these days helps out....

I definitely won't end up doing it myself. I already have 1 quote from an external moving company. I just wanted to extend the option to NES'ers looking for work. Anything these days helps out....

If you change your mind I'd be willing to give you a hand. it's only 4 stairs, 3 people could do it, 4 would be no problem. I brought my "big" safe down 8 steps to the basement with 4 people no problem.

on a side note, if you can find one of those dolly's, I'll split the cost with you. I'm looking to move my "small" safe to the second floor. It's only 500 pounds but it's 20 steps

Hmm maybe people are missing the point of my thread. I'm not looking for a free ride. I posted this because I would rather pay $200-$400 to an NES'er than give it to a mover. It was my attempt to cycle some money into the NES economy.

Back
Top Bottom