Looking for black powder ammo

MikeH

NES Member
I'm looking for 32 S&W short black powder ammo. Has anyone tried Buffaloarms black powder ammo or know of another source?

FS guns had some while back, you need to ask Carl he keeps some odd lots under the wall of glocks, well he used to anyway.
I might have some factory loads some where.....not cheap , not black powder?
I have bought everything but ammo from buffalo arms...its just to expensive almost $1 round for 32SW "short" loaded with black powder.

Thanks for the replies.
I'll check with FS when they reopen. I have some factory loads. I'm concerned about the long term effect of fast burn smokeless powder in an older revolver.
I'll give Glenn's a call.
Ten X no longer makes specialty ammo. I'm only looking at needing 100 rounds. I might go the reloading route. The cost of dies, brass, bullets, and powder will probably be pretty close to getting them thru Buffaloarms.
Thanks again

Ebay has this:

I have used one in .41 Mag and they work. They are not fast. If you have to buy a press, dies, and scale the price doesn't look so bad. Of course, the press and scale could be used for other cartridges. Components are the same either way. Buffalo arms are pretty expensive and out of stock. With this, you could probably spend about $150 and get around 500 rounds. (Not all at once but as many at a time as your cases allow.) At BA, you would probably get about 150 for the same price...
Edit: make a (significantly) lower offer. It is not like there is a huge market for it.

I tried Old Western Scrounger and Track Of The Wolf and neither has .32 black powder ammo. Buffalo is almost $44 a box and that probably doesn't include shipping. I think I'd reload.

Thanks White Feather. Lee now has a modern die kit #90696 about $40.00. Buffalo Arms has the .32 sw short in stock at 44/box of 50. So 2 boxes plus shipping will be around $100.00, but you need a place to ship it. FFls are closed and I don't have a C&R.
You and Gerry are probably right. I have presses and primers, just need dies, brass, bullets and powder. So, for about $150. I could yield about 500 rds.
I guess I'm just getting lazy in my old age.

Mike, if you decide to go the reloading route, talk to The Goose. I think loading black powder cartridges is a bit of a pain in the ass but Steve does a lot of it and seems to love it.

Just gotta be careful loading bp cartridges. A lot of gear for smokeless is not ok for BP, need to be careful of static because it's explosive, etc. I never have more than enough for what I'm loading out on the bench at a time also.

Thanks for the replies.
I'll check with FS when they reopen. I have some factory loads. I'm concerned about the long term effect of fast burn smokeless powder in an older revolver.
I'll give Glenn's a call.
Ten X no longer makes specialty ammo. I'm only looking at needing 100 rounds. I might go the reloading route. The cost of dies, brass, bullets, and powder will probably be pretty close to getting them thru Buffaloarms.
Thanks again

Please tell us about the revolver, and pictures are always nice too.

I am not an expert on this issue, but my understanding is that there are blackpowder only revolvers, from the blackpowder era, which most experts agree should only be fired with blackpowder rounds. There are also early models designed for white powder, which should still be handled gently, but are fine with light modern loads. And I am pretty sure that all commercial loads in .32 S&W short are pretty light.

If you are not sure what category your revolver belongs in, I would research that issue. It can make a big difference in cost of ammo and life of the revolver.

Ebay has this:

I have used one in .41 Mag and they work. They are not fast. If you have to buy a press, dies, and scale the price doesn't look so bad. Of course, the press and scale could be used for other cartridges. Components are the same either way. Buffalo arms are pretty expensive and out of stock. With this, you could probably spend about $150 and get around 500 rounds. (Not all at once but as many at a time as your cases allow.) At BA, you would probably get about 150 for the same price...
Edit: make a (significantly) lower offer. It is not like there is a huge market for it.
you could buy a die set and a bullet mold for that price? the lee mold 311-93 could be used if it drops on the larger side. or the lyman 313249 should be good as dropped.
Lee die set is still available for about $30 bucks SKU: 90696
you can use trail boss powder, I never tried BP in my lemmon squeezer. I usually just run wax wad cutters with just a primer....

be interesting if this bullet worked ? Mold Dc Tl314-90-swc - Lee Precision

Last edited:
I have some.....mine are as old as the gun I'm sure. I may also know where there is more of course the store is closed.
Your welcome to mine when things straighten back out.

you could buy a die set and a bullet mold for that price? the lee mold 311-93 could be used if it drops on the larger side. or the lyman 313249 should be good as dropped.
Lee die set is still available for about $30 bucks SKU: 90696
you can use trail boss powder, I never tried BP in my lemmon squeezer. I usually just run wax wad cutters with just a primer....

be interesting if this bullet worked ? Mold Dc Tl314-90-swc - Lee Precision

You are correct but I didn't realize that he was already a reloader. With no reloading equipment it would be an option...

here is my little 32
yYBwx0Bl.jpg

here is a wax slug--pretty much any hard bullet lube will work
0e31mIrl.jpg

heres them after going through carboard backer at 8-12' you can recover the wax if you collect very cleanly. for the amount I actually shoot I do not bother
3KQlVEOl.jpg

There about as accurate as anything else at 10' with this pistol

I have had fun with poly case/slug for my 38's and 357s. I also had them when I owned a 44 mag. I have some slugs that have been fired at least 6 times. Happy Easter all. Stash

here is my little 32

Little ? That looks huge....lol
20200308_164340.jpg

This is what ate some of those BP rounds up before Mike started this thread.
Much more fun than smokeless.

That's the shortest barrel on a lemon squeezer I have ever seen. Does it even have a front sight? Looks in great shape!

I'm looking for 32 S&W short black powder ammo. Has anyone tried Buffaloarms black powder ammo or know of another source?
Buffalo Arms co is a solid business. I have spent thousands with them.

You can also try Dixie Gun Works and Track of the Wolf. They might sell some.

Dont be afraid of reloading BP, it is a lot easier, and safer, than smokeless. Most of the stuff thar could make your smokeless load blow up your gun does not apply to BP.

Thanks for your input. I don't plan on shooting it enough to warrant reloading. Unfortunately, BuffaloArms is now out of stock and the other 2 vendors you mention don't carry it.

Thanks for your input. I don't plan on shooting it enough to warrant reloading. Unfortunately, BuffaloArms is now out of stock and the other 2 vendors you mention don't carry it.
If you can come up with the components , we can work out a date to meet up and you can reload some.

Thanks for the offer. Weatherby has generously offered me some rounds and that should suffice my needs.
Thanks again

He didn't forget either.
Risked covid and has it whenever works.

Attachments

• 20200519_164852.jpg
    20200519_164852.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 4
You don't need to use black powder, you just need to keep the pressure low enough for a top-break.

Here's an article outlining my expeiences with it: Loading the 32 S&W "Short" - MassGunOwnership.com

At some point in the not-too-distant future, I'm going to start mass producing this stuff for sale. There are quite a few of those old 32 S&W top breaks out there, and the demand for appropriate ammo runs high.

Back
Top Bottom