• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for brain dump on Saltwater Kayaks and fishing

pj150

NES Member
I've gotten hooked on the idea of getting a SOT kayak and seeing if I can do some inshore fishing for SeaBass, Fluke, Stripers, etc...

I've seen the Hobie kayaks with the Mirage drive setup which I think would be the best for hands free maneuverability. Lots of youtube videos with guys going out and having a great time.

Can those who do this give me some advice on what actually works in the real world and how you handle the snotty weather that inevitably will hit you?

Also, what works for a setup new vs used?

Hobie added a "reverse" functionality to their Mirage drive for 2017. I've not used one. A place in CT has demos/rentals.

There's a fairly active kayak sub-forum on a very popular striper forum.

A guy I know has a Hobie with the mirage drive and loves it. He hits the water often for stripers, but generally in decent weather. He mentioned a friend that knows spots for winter hold-over stripers and is out on a SOT kayak all winter. I think that calls for a dry suit.

I am told the mirage drive makes a huge difference in speed and range.

A guy I know has a Hobie with the mirage drive and loves it. He hits the water often for stripers, but generally in decent weather. He mentioned a friend that knows spots for winter hold-over stripers and is out on a SOT kayak all winter. I think that calls for a dry suit.

There are guys that striper fish out of kayaks in/around the Charles in mid-winter, for holdovers. LOL Noooo thanks! [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom