• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for clay shooting class

Can anyone recommend a good clay shooting class in New England? Ideally the class would be beginner/intermediate level and be an all day event. I shoot clays on occasion informally hand throwing. I'm not looking to become an Olympic competitor but do enjoy a good class with a great instructor.

I saw Orvis in Manchester, VT has a school. Anyone have or heard any experience with this?

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_...id=1595&cat_id=5457&subcat_id=6566&pf_id=10RC

I'd love to try shooting clay birds too. I'm sure there'd be a lot of interest in a class or some ojt....

LL Bean has a couple classes through their outdoor discovery school; everything from a 30 min intro class to an all-day class. My wife and I tried the walk-on 30 min class and then went back for the half-day class. The instructors are laid back but good, there was 4 of us per instructor. Everything, gun, shells, clays, ear/eye protection is included.

I find going to clubs and asking for a hand many people will go out to the field and help you out. Had many guys take me onto the skeet field or trap and pull for you while they are helping you.

I shoot Trap or Skeet almost every Wednesday evening and Sunday morning in Sharon. You do not need to be a member to shoot, there is always a wealth of experience available. PM me if you want to come by, I'd be more than happy to help you out.

I have heard of Orvis and it is my understanding that they are good but I have no personal experience. You may want to search for forums and reviews on them.
Wallum Lake Rod & Gun club in RI has been having a Skeet beginners class on Fridays and also I believe Addeville farms in RI teaches sporting clays and maybe holds other classes too.

Thanks all. I would like to take the Orvis course but they only have it during the week and with the drive, taking time off from work, etc. it becomes a hassle. If I thought it would be the 'best skeet class' in the world, I'd probably do it though. I couldn't find any reviews online.

I was looking at the Bean school too. Thanks for the input.

Icyclefar, that sounds pretty good actually. I used to be a member at Massapoag but never used the skeet range. Then I changed jobs and it was out of the way but now I'm back commuting up and down 95 again!

Can you let me know when/where?

Last edited:
Sharon Fish & Game is off East Street. We shoot Trap and Skeet Wednesday's from 5pm to 7pm and Sunday's from 10am until 1pm. Tomorrow looks like a wash, but I am planning for Sunday. PM me if you need more details.

LL Bean has a couple classes through their outdoor discovery school; everything from a 30 min intro class to an all-day class. My wife and I tried the walk-on 30 min class and then went back for the half-day class. The instructors are laid back but good, there was 4 of us per instructor. Everything, gun, shells, clays, ear/eye protection is included.
Thanks for this post. My wife and I took the all day class there this past weekend. Good instructors (3 for 8 shooters) and plenty of shooting. I'd highly recommend it. It was mostly oriented to sporting clays and pretty much everyone was breaking targets by the end of the day. Great fun!

Back
Top Bottom