Looking for ideas on modding my AK

I recently purchased my first AK, a WASR-10 (actually, my first rifle, period). I've been looking at different accessories for it online, as I'd like to "tacticool" it up, so to speak. Now, I'm inclined to think that most people's first response is going to be "don't waste your money, it's a $500 gun", but at the same time, I plan on holding onto it for a while and I'd like to make her pretty. Well, and more useful and fun to shoot.

High on the wish list is a rail and some type of optic. Most pictures of modded AKs I see have the quad-rail hand guard up front with optic mounted on top of that, but I don't like the look of the optic being so far up front. I've found some relatively cheap receiver covers that have an integral rail and would be easy to install and put the optic in a more aesthetic location (for me), but I'm not sure if those would hold zero worth crap. Also, when it comes to optics, would I be completely batsh!t insane for wanting to put an EOTech on it, considering even lower models cost just about as much as the gun?

How useful is a recoil buffer? Seems cheap, and is supposedly very effective, but I've never even tried one before.

I also plan on getting the quad-rail hand guard for the purpose of mounting a forward grip, and because it gives me options for future attachments. This would mean the only wooden piece left would be the stock, so I would probably replace that too (I think it would look too out-of-place by itself). What are some of the things you guys have done to your AKs, and what do you recommend?

One last thing: how hard is it to find pre-ban drum mags? Any input is appreciated.

Also, be very very careful if you plan to mount an optic on a dust cover with rail. There is a lot of mechanical movement in a AK in that area that will make your life hell. Go for a side mounted AK rail from K-Var or similar. I have no idea about optics as I'm an iron sights type of guy. Also, be careful on what you buy if you are thinking of a drum as many of them are unreliable. If you arn't paying ~$100, it's probably not so great.

Sorry for multiple posts!

Mods please don't ban me for spam, BUT!

For a foregrip, DO NOT buy a full size unless you are mounting it very well forward of the mag well as the ak mag requires rotation to lock in and a full size can interfere with mag insertion. Get a stubby

I don't believe there's anything beyond the standard AK configuration with my rifle. Anything I want to do is going to require some additions. How hard is it to install a side-mount rail? Something I could do at home, or something that would require some machining?

I don't believe there's anything beyond the standard AK configuration with my rifle. Anything I want to do is going to require some additions. How hard is it to install a side-mount rail? Something I could do at home, or something that would require some machining?

Machining, when I was thinking of mounting a side rail to mine I found a guy named Sergey who seemed good, however I never had anything done because I couldn't afford it at the time. Sergey used to be a Russian armorer I believe, his email is [email protected]

PS I went with a B-square mount over the dust cover and I constantly had problems holding zero, the only reliable way to mount I believe would be having a side mount installed. It did look cool however, but I ended up reverting back to the original.

Last edited:
depends on how deep you dive into the rabbit hole....

You can go as far as riveting below flush rivets on a side mount rail on your receiver, or you can go as low as using screws and loctite to sink it into your receiver. Be weary of aligning it properly. Either way, you'll need to properly drill holes into your receiver in the correct places.

I'm building an AK this march and I've forgone the option of installing a side mount rail to the receiver due to it being my first build. I may choose to install one on a later build, though.

Machining, when I was thinking of mounting a side rail to mine I found a guy named Sergey who seemed good, however I never had anything done because I couldn't afford it at the time. Sergey used to be a Russian armorer I believe, his email is [email protected]

PS I went with a B-square mount over the dust cover and I constantly had problems holding zero, the only reliable way to mount I believe would be having a side mount installed. It did look cool however, but I ended up reverting back to the original.

http://www.rustbluing.com/index.html

he's in natick. I did not know he'd mount optics rails. Very good to know! +1 to you

Yeah... avoid the aforementioned top cover mount.

I've seen a slow-mo video of an AK firing and you can easily see how much the cover flexes during firing.

There's not a side rail mount on there?

A WASR normally has a rail already attached (that's not eo say that for some reason, yours' didn't come with one).

depends on how deep you dive into the rabbit hole....

You can go as far as riveting below flush rivets on a side mount rail on your receiver, or you can go as low as using screws and loctite to sink it into your receiver. Be weary of aligning it properly. Either way, you'll need to properly drill holes into your receiver in the correct places.

I'm building an AK this march and I've forgone the option of installing a side mount rail to the receiver due to it being my first build. I may choose to install one on a later build, though.

I used the screw method. Was easy enough and I used red loctite and it hasn't budged through several thousand rounds.

Also to OP, make sure it's straight and level.

There's not a side rail mount on there?

A WASR normally has a rail already attached (that's not eo say that for some reason, yours' didn't come with one).

I used the screw method. Was easy enough and I used red loctite and it hasn't budged through several thousand rounds.

Also to OP, make sure it's straight and level.

Just to be clear, the side rail that I'm referring to looks like this:
View attachment 8587

There are some that have you drill it yourself, but personally I feel too inexperienced to attempt it myself

Last edited:
If you decide not to get a scope tech-sights are better than the standard AK sight. Also the Ergo Suregrip is more comfortable than the regular grip

Yeah... avoid the aforementioned top cover mount.

I've seen a slow-mo video of an AK firing and you can easily see how much the cover flexes during firing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD7palHcaqE

Did you just sink the screws into the receiver side? Or did you somehow secure them with a nut on the other side of the receiver? I suppose space would have to warrant that. Regardless, thanks for sharing that info. I am contemplating this method as a below-rail rivet requires a riveting press head that I do not possess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD7palHcaqE

Did you just sink the screws into the receiver side? Or did you somehow secure them with a nut on the other side of the receiver? I suppose space would have to warrant that. Regardless, thanks for sharing that info. I am contemplating this method as a below-rail rivet requires a riveting press head that I do not possess.

Drilled it myself and used short machine screws with a tapered head and secured them with narrow profile nuts (There's' more than enough clearance inside the receiver).

Kalinka Optics... http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=40

had a wide variety of different rails.

Check out the Gatorbakk Scope mount. It is not a cover mount but instead mounts using your front sight and your trunion screw. It gives you a full rail over the reciever as well as sides. They make others like this that hinge on the front sight to make it easier to take the cover off but you'll be into those for half what your ak's worth. You'll find other add ons and side mounts here too.
http://www.tickbitesupply.com/mount.html#ak

Well, I'm glad I have you guys. I checked last night, and it turns out that my WASR does in fact have the rail already. It didn't even register with me that it was there when I bought it, probably because I had no idea what it was. Shows how much I know. [hmmm]

So, with that said, I imagine I can attach the side scope mount fairly easily at my house, right? Also, I may look into tech sights, I'm not 100% sure which direction I'm going to go, I'm just weighing my options right now. That Gatorbakk system looks pretty cool too. Decisions, decisions! [wink]

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad I have you guys. I checked last night, and it turns out that my WASR does in fact have the rail already. It didn't even register with me that it was there when I bought it, probably because I had no idea what it was. Shows how much I know. [hmmm]

So, with that said, I imagine I can attach the side scope mount fairly easily at my house, right? Also, I may look into tech sights, I'm not 100% sure which direction I'm going to go, I'm just weighing my options right now. That Gatorbakk system looks pretty cool too. Decisions, decisions! [wink]

Goodluck! [smile]

Reference this thread to see what one NES member did with his AK, granted this was a SAR-1 but you'll get the idea.

It's pretty much what you're looking to do plus a few "refinements".

as far as functionality goes I'd at least install a Tapco G-2 trigger (single or double hook depending on what'cha got) to get rid of any trigger slap.

Last edited:
The modifications in the link by MrTwig are pretty nice, but I would stay away from the Tapco handgaurd. There have seen independent reviews saying these have: Not fit properly/wiggled around while shooting, melted after vigorous shooting and required significant modification to fit some models.

The trigger upgrade is definately a nice touch which I hadn't thought of.

since you have that rail already installed (a big +plus!) check out the website LoginName suggested (www.kalinkaoptics.com) for some sweet russian side mount scopes. They have some nice PSOPs for pretty decent coin that would not only make your rifle look more authentic, but are very effective. I have a PSO-2 (?) scope that came on my PSL, and it's a tough bastard, holds zero, and has very clear optics. The SVD reticle is pretty cool to place on your target, too [wink]

I've seen some places that sell PSOP scopes for a little less, so do some foot work if you want to save $20 or so. It might not be as easy to order online, though, from what I can remember. It's more of a email communication thing. I can't remember where I saw them, though.

or you can do what people are suggesting and get the side rail mount optics rail and go with whatever your heart desires.

Back
Top Bottom