• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking to get a sub $300 9mm for range shooting only

I like my Canik , it's the SF , and has been a good range gun. It eats any ammo that I've ran through it , and it actually has a very good trigger for a striker fired pistol.
caniks are fine. once you stocked up on glocks there is a little reason to get a canik, of course, but, a good gen5 g34 still costs a bit too much here in MA, and a canik in that segment can be a good alternative to a g17 or g34. still not the same though. :)

caniks are fine. once you stocked up on glocks there is a little reason to get a canik, of course, but, a good gen5 g34 still costs a bit too much here in MA, and a canik in that segment can be a good alternative to a g17 or g34. still not the same though. :)
Where all them $300 glocks in mass at? 😂

Canik better trigger also

I don't have the intention to be blasting 200 rds every time I take this to the range, probably 50, maybe 75. I do not understand the sense of going thru 200 rds of ammo in a range trip, not when it's $17 a box, you get nothing out of shooting that much at once.
Actually, you do get a lot out of it, if you are practicing correctly.

But based on the OP, looks like you just want a gun to fill a dirt berm with lead. A .22 will be better for that.

Why don't you just buy what you like and will enjoy rather than buying one POS gun to waste ammo until another goes down in price (which might not happen)?

this is a very confusing, contradictory list of wants

so you want to shoot a gun but flinting hard?

Find yourself a used Ruger P95DC robopistol and go to town. At least you won’t hate yourself like you would with a shield or an lc9.

That’s the first gun I’d buy if I couldn’t afford anything else. It might be a c hair over 3 hundo but it will run forever.
And worth what you payed for it at resale time.

Actually, you do get a lot out of it, if you are practicing correctly.

But based on the OP, looks like you just want a gun to fill a dirt berm with lead. A .22 will be better for that.

Why don't you just buy what you like and will enjoy rather than buying one POS gun to waste ammo until another goes down in price (which might not happen)?
It took me a few months to decide on getting the PT92 and once I made the decision on that it was final. Beretta quality and CS is spotty these days and Stinkfield just recently discontinued the XD-E.

I almost always bring a .22 with me when I go to shoot, but I'm running low on primers and getting tired of the cost of factory .40 ammo, so a 9mm needs to happen this Spring otherwise I'm gonna be stuck shooting black powder on the cheap with homemade caps or I'm gonna be in the poor house shooting .40 all the time.

this is a very confusing, contradictory list of wants

so you want to shoot a gun but flinting hard?

Find yourself a used Ruger P95DC robopistol and go to town. At least you won’t hate yourself like you would with a shield or an lc9.

That’s the first gun I’d buy if I couldn’t afford anything else. It might be a c hair over 3 hundo but it will run forever.
The P85/89 was strongly considered before I decided on the PT92, what got it eliminated was the shitty trigger and poor accuracy compared to 92 style pistols, but since this is just meant to be a cheap range blaster I could probably go for it, just hard to justify it over a GX4 for more money.

The P85/89 was strongly considered before I decided on the PT92, what got it eliminated was the shitty trigger and poor accuracy compared to 92 style pistols, but since this is just meant to be a cheap range blaster I could probably go for it, just hard to justify it over a GX4 for the same price.

I would take a P95DC any day of the week over a PT92 or even a typical 92FS. (I have a 92X, but thats a wholly different ballgame)

Just be honest you dont want the ruger because its dog shit ugly. [rofl] I make fun of the f***ing robopistol too, but it is probably one of the best
products they ever made, albeit ugly

Also a GX4 is a sub, something not really enjoyable for general use. It's purpose driven. You obviously don't know what you want, so picking a more
general purpose gun is less dumb in picking a gun with a vague purpose.

I'm confused.... a stock 92FS isnt a bastion of accuracy so I dont see what your point is. At 300 bucks you are hard flinting category almost so you get what you
get. Nobody has a license to bitch about accuracy at that point.... Any of the guns involved are going to be "more accurrate than you are" more than likely. They're all going to put bullets in a coke can sized group (or better) at 30 feet if you do your part and the ammo isnt total shit. not sure what more you could want

sub $300?!? OP save up more money, you will not like what you get for under $300

OP save up more money, you will not like what you get for under $300
This.

Also if you want a cheap range blaster, don't get a subcompact like a LC9s. I will say those are good carry guns with decent triggers but they probably won't be fun to shoot 100+ rounds at the range.

Also I'd send you links to get notified for primers but based on the fact you're trying to buy a gun for sub $300, you sure as hell ain't going to pay today's primer prices[laugh]

Pt 92s suck save up for a real beretta.

If your looking to go every weekend or 2 weeks buy full sized.

Small guns are no fun in extended range sessions

Canik
Sar
Taurus g3
Sve99 by smith and wesson
Iwi massade
Sr9 by ruger
Ruger american 9
Ruger security 9
I had a beautiful stainless PT92 a few years ago, only problem was that I couldn't get it on the paper at 30'. About 18" groups at 30'. Sent it back and the said the barrel was bad. I guess so! Dumped it at a loss asap. Currently have a Ruger Security 9, accurate, comfortable to shoot, but the slide stop SUCKS. Cannot use it as a slide release. I'm used to jamming a mag in (1911) and releasing the slide with my thumb.... instead of a retarded two hand racking the slide to release it.

I have both an lc9 and a p89. I wouldn't want to use the lc9 as a thousands of rounds down range toy. something about the construction doesn't feel rugged. the p89 I would willingly torture test

The only reason I'm not interested in Canik is it's a full size polymer striker and I've already got two Glocks just like it. The only poly striker I will consider is if it's a compact or subcompact.

I had a beautiful stainless PT92 a few years ago, only problem was that I couldn't get it on the paper at 30'. About 18" groups at 30'. Sent it back and the said the barrel was bad. I guess so! Dumped it at a loss asap. Currently have a Ruger Security 9, accurate, comfortable to shoot, but the slide stop SUCKS. Cannot use it as a slide release. I'm used to jamming a mag in (1911) and releasing the slide with my thumb.... instead of a retarded two hand racking the slide to release it.
Guess I should've said i don't have one of the sec 9's

Good to know i always meant to pick one up

But they have an excellent reputation

I would take a P95DC any day of the week over a PT92 or even a typical 92FS. (I have a 92X, but thats a wholly different ballgame)

Just be honest you dont want the ruger because its dog shit ugly. [rofl] I make fun of the f***ing robopistol too, but it is probably one of the best
products they ever made, albeit ugly

Also a GX4 is a sub, something not really enjoyable for general use. It's purpose driven. You obviously don't know what you want, so picking a more
general purpose gun is less dumb in picking a gun with a vague purpose.

I'm confused.... a stock 92FS isnt a bastion of accuracy so I dont see what your point is. At 300 bucks you are hard flinting category almost so you get what you
get. Nobody has a license to bitch about accuracy at that point.... Any of the guns involved are going to be "more accurrate than you are" more than likely. They're all going to put bullets in a coke can sized group (or better) at 30 feet if you do your part and the ammo isnt total shit. not sure what more you could want
I actually do like the Ruger because I like Ruger, especially 80s Ruger pistols,, and DA/SA. You do make a good point about the accuracy or shootability potential, it shouldn't mean a thing for this temp 9mm I'm looking to get.

No, the 92 isn't a tackdriver and I wasn't looking for that, it was more recoil reduction with 9mm and I wanted a metal frame with a hammer that wasn't a Fuddteen 11.

I will have to think about P85/89 or the Taurus ones I had listed. The LC9s is out, GX4 holds more, costs less.

Many will laugh, but I have SW9VE's that were like-new that I paid $179-$199 for, and use to train others with. Work fine and triggers have smoothed out fairly well...
When the Shields first came out, people couldn't give these things away. I bought six of them that were basically LNIB. All sub-$200 dollars. Many with 3 or 4 spare magazines because of the
offer S&W had at the time. Are they Glocks? Nope. Do they shoot? Yep...

Plus. I don't get upset when they are dropped or damaged by newbies. (mostly during tear-down/reassembly part of course...)

Lifetime Warranty too...

1644273018508.png

Now, here's something you can laugh at... I have four in .40 S&W also... [rofl]

Last edited:
Somewhat off topic comment about Canik TP9SF, not sure if it applies to other models. The grip is uncomfortably large for my medium sized hands. Caveat that I haven't bothered using the other grips it came with (you get a lot of extras with it) but I think it would still be too large, for me.

Many will laugh, but I have SW9VE's that were like-new that I paid $179-$199 for, and use to train others with. Work fine and triggers have smoothed out fairly well...
When the Shields first came out, people couldn't give these things away. I bought six of them that were basically LNIB. All sub-$200 dollars. Many with 3 or 4 spare magazines because of the
Plus. I don't get upset when they are dropped or damaged by newbies.
offer S&W had at the time. Are they Glocks? Nope. Do they shoot? Yep...

Lifetime Warranty too...

View attachment 574041

Now, here's something you can laugh at... I have four in .40 S&W also... [rofl]
Yeah, I really like this gun too. Very comfortable and I would say attractive. I would have bought more of them (for the apocalypse) but, I am told, if you try to free state their Mass crimped magazines, they split in half as that line around the middle is actually a cut all, or nearly all, the way through.

Back
Top Bottom