• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking to shoot in the next week or so..

I have tried to call a few ranges that have been listed online as "public" such as one in Boylston. I have tried another one as well, but it is constantly ringing, but never an answer. I have been searching for a publi range to shoot at but would also like to see places that I may potentially become a member. I really want to go shooting soon as I have been out of it for a while. I would like to shoot pistol and rifle. Anyone a member that can tell me if their club would let the public in? I have tried to contact people but no luck. Thanks.

American firearms school in attleboro is open to the public.
But its a indoor 75' (I believe)

We are you located?

Ames in North Easton is a good club to join
300 yard heated range.
100 yard outdoor
40 yard handgun range with alot of steel
and a weekly IPSC practice

I live in Marlborough. Easton is a bit of a hike, but not the farthest place I have gone to shoot. I have to imagine that that 300 ft. range is outdoor...but heated? Pretty cool. It is open to the public? Do you know what prices for public runs?

Thanks

Ames is private.

If you live out that way, the only public range I know of is S&W

You really need to join a private range to have any decent facility to shoot at.
Out that way. I would recommend Harvard

Boston Gun Range in Worcester is public. Do you shoot shotgun at all? Many of the private clubs in MA are open to the public for Trap on a specific day.

Yeah, I have been to boston gun range, and they are pricey. Some day I plan on going to manchester firing line, as they have some cool guns I would liket o shoot anyway, such as MP5. I do shoot trap, but usually do that with a friend. It has been a long time as well. Right now I am more looking to shoot rifle and pistol, although I might be stuck with renting lane time at a place like Boston Gun Range or Manchester Firing line.

By the way, wold like to thank you guys here for recommending Zero Hour. I called thm and they were very nice and good to work with. I am going to be heading down there in the coming days to buy some preban mags and check their stock for pre ban AR. Finally a gun store where the people who ork there don't suffer from the "god" complex that is all to common.

Thanks.

Don't know how much you shoot...but join a private club..rather than putting away $15 each time you go to the range....join a club for $150 or so....work a few hours cleanup or what not and your future dues will generally be reduced. May have a more upfront cost, but in the long run you'll save a lot (assuming you shoot more than ~10 times a year).

Hopkinton Sportsmen's (just off 495)
Harvard Sportsmen's Club

Both have indoor and outdoor ranges (along with other amenities) and for the annual membership fee, I have to believe it would be considerably cheaper than going to a public range.

Also, you could bring guests in to shoot with you free of charge.

I'm sure there are clubs closer to you, but I haven't been to any of them. I did shoot an IDPA match at Harvard, and their facilities are excellent. I'll probably end up joining there eventually. (I'm already a member at Westford.) If I get into high-power rifle, I'll probably join Harvard to use their 200/300 yd range. Also if I ever have the money to get into class 3.

I own my own pistols and rifles. I just wanted to go to manchester to rent full auto for fun. I will have to check out clubs around here. I would like to go a lot more often than I used to, but I am not sure how much time with my busy schedule. Will continue the search. Thanks.

Hogball,

Marlboro has a Fish & Game club; I think that they have a .22 only indoor range and an outdoor pistol range. Riverside in Hudson has a 50' indoor range (limited to less than 1000'/second ammo - no magnums).

For public ranges, the only ones I know of in MA are:

Bob's Tactical/Bay State Arms (I think is their new name?) - Salisbury
American Firearms School - North Attleboro
Boston Gun Range - Worcester
Smith & Wesson Shooting Sports Center - Springfield.

And you already know about MFL in Manchester.

Norh Leominster

The North Leominster Rod & Gun has a real nice set up. A two hundred yard rifle range, a nice pistol range and a bunch of trap and sheet lanes. I think membership is $75.00 a year.

Do your locations hosting IDPA or USPSA let the public use? The one down the road from me does (in FL) - pretty darn cheap outdoor range shooting for daily and the membership fees can be partial or full - either case it is very cheap -

No, most clubs that host IDPA are open only for that event. Same with other organized events.

Riverside in Hudson has 3 outdoor ranges, indoor pistol and 3 skeet/trap fields. Skeet and trap are open to the public Tuesday and Thursday evenings (we have lights) and Sunday Mornings.

And if you are into archery, there are all kinds of venues for that as well as an Olympic coach.

hogball:

You need to join a private club. Take the time to do some research about the clubs close to you and go visit them. GOAL has a list of clubs http://www.goal.org/clubs/affiliations/affiliatedclubs.html

There are plenty of clubs that are close to you, including Riverside in Hudson, Maynard Rod & Club, Wayland Rod & Gun Club, Hopkinton Sportsman's Assoc., Harvard Sportsman's Assoc, etc.

Many clubs seldom have people at the clubhouse, so the best way to contact the leadership is probably via e-mail if they have an email contact listed on their website. Send them an email to set an appointment to visit the club and check out the facilities.

The dues at most clubs is quite low, far cheaper than any public range.

Last edited:
North Leominster is a very clean range, good people!

Shirley is a great place too.

Harvard I will have to say is the best in this area. (where I live) And that I grew up and spent 25 years in the town is another reason I give them A+

The current range I am at is right up the road, $30.00 per year and during these months I find there are very few that are on the range, in fact each Sunday I get a pat on the shoulder from the members in the club house calling me "Hardcore" for shooting no matter what the weather is.

I'll throw Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club out there too. We have a 100yard range, 2 40 yard ranges, and an indoor 50 ft range. Its a shooters club though, no bar, no one hanging out in the club house.

We also host a monthly IDPA match and practice.

AE

ranges

1911:you took my sunshine.but thats the best answer.you guys are lucky I cant find one near me.nearest is 100 miles.but I suppose my 90 acres is enuf.I'v got to measure it as I shoot acrose the field.
I do miss Hopedale and Grafton tho.[smile]
-----------[laugh2]

You should check out Riverside in Hudson. Tues & Thurs PM skeet and trap is open to public.
Due is pretty cheap to be a member

indoor and outdoor pistol
rifle range
skeet field
trap field
archery course
trout pond

and if you like this type of stuff

function hall
bar
pool tables
darts

Since No. Leominster has been mentioned a couple of times, I'd like to throw out a mention for a club that gets overshadowed by it, but is a great place in its own right -- Lunenburg Sportsmen's Club -- about 5 minutes from No. Leominster, and $35/year for a 100 yard range that allows plinking, a pistol range, archery, and indoor rimfire in the colder months.

Thanks again guys for all the posts. I will make some appointments and check out some places. I do like the idea of a place that has an indoor range with key card access 24/7. I also would shoot mostly outdoors on rifle and pistol range, but don't need much more than 100 yds. So far I think the only one I have seen with key card access is hopkinton. But also, some of these clubs want you to either be a member of GOAL or other groups. I don't have money to be putting towards extra groups. Money is tight enough as is, and I am trying to keep costs down.

Back
Top Bottom