• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking to Shoot my Barrett 50 cal

I have a Barrett M99 50bmg, but nowhere to shoot it. I'm a member of Mass Rifle Assoc, and I love it there, but they don't allow 50bmg. I don't want to join another range just for 1 rifle. I'm thinking maybe a sand pit, power lines, woods, etc. I'm looking for a place in Eastern MA or Southern NH. Any ideas?

IMG_20160324_110552_543_zpsncuta4bb.jpg

IMG_20160324_110729_723_zpsd5qfmkhp.jpg

I was at American Firearms School in Attleboro a few months ago and someone was shooting a 50BMG indoors. The thing made the lights flicker. It's only a 25 yard range, though.

I was at American Firearms School in Attleboro a few months ago and someone was shooting a 50BMG indoors. The thing made the lights flicker. It's only a 25 yard range, though.

I'm the type of person who would enjoy that. But, I'd hate to bother everyone else with that much noise.

If you find yourself in Eastham, let me know. Nauset Rod and Gun has a 200 yd range and no specific prohibitions against .50 that I know of. Also Cape Gun Works in Hyannis is building a 25 yd indoor range rated up to .50 BMG which should be opening toward the end of the summer.

I would have asked my club for either an exemption or figured this out before buying the rifle. Just sayin'.

Anyways, you're going to want a place with a secure backstop and enough land to not bother neighbors. I would start with asking local dairy farmers. They usually are the only guys around here with a ton of land and they also have pits for dead cows.

Only problem is, you're not looking to coon hunt, you're asking to shoot a large rifle on their land and they might get be forced to get involved if something were to happen (view this from a landowner's POV).

Option B is to join a second gun club. I would look in NH for clubs that have a minimum 200 yard range and I would ask the question about .50BMG up front before joining.

Bring to a NES shoot! Always fun stuff to shoot and nice people. NES membership is inexpensive, or come as someone's guest. Where else can you demolish a car with your 50?

I am not sure if serious.

I don't think I would fire anything over a 7.62x54r in doors at a 100 yard backstop. Wtf?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

12000 pounds of energy at 25 yards, that is putting it to good use.[rofl]

Dean

PS: Don't forget to switch from your 20 to a 40 MOA rail.

I'm the type of person who would enjoy that. But, I'd hate to bother everyone else with that much noise.

50 BMG indoors at only 25 yards? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of... how do I sign up?

I am not sure if serious.

I don't think I would fire anything over a 7.62x54r in doors at a 100 yard backstop. Wtf?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Indoor 50 BMG? What do you use for ear pro? Pour cement in and let it harden?

The dude only fired it about 6 times and he had a few staff members with him. They came around and warned everyone that it was going to be pretty loud so of course we all stopped shooting and watched. I usually double up with ear plugs and ear muffs and it was still loud enough to make me flinch a little. I was about 20 feet away and there was like a concussion that vibrated my clothes. Not sure why he was indoors. I suspected he had just gotten it and was ancy to play with it.

Was at AFS a couple days after Christmas.

Young guy had been given a gift certificate by his girlfriend for the Barret and a custom Pelican case. Was anxious to fire it even if indoor. Everything in the place rattled. Fired 8 rounds.

Was at AFS a couple days after Christmas.

Young guy had been given a gift certificate by his girlfriend for the Barret and a custom Pelican case. Was anxious to fire it even if indoor. Everything in the place rattled. Fired 8 rounds.

Put a ring on that girl! Likes guns and has a lot of $$ evidently [laugh]

IIRC, Manchester Firing Line allowed 50 BMG

The backstop is a bullet trap with (to the trajectory) shallow baffles that direct the bullet in a sliding manner to a trap where the energy bleeds off.

I've heard lots of people say this, so I called last week. They said no 50 bmg. I haven't been there in 7 years, but I thought they would let you rent an M2.

yeah, it sucks, nowhere to shoot it.....but jeezus, wouldn't one investigate that before plunking down the cash? glancing at harvards range rules it doesn't exclude 50bmg, you can't shoot at the 200/300 yd range without being a member and qualifying so, buck it up and join. not getting into someones financials but if you can afford to buy the barrett and feed it, joining another club is the least of your expenses. [grin]

yeah, it sucks, nowhere to shoot it.....but jeezus, wouldn't one investigate that before plunking down the cash? glancing at harvards range rules it doesn't exclude 50bmg, you can't shoot at the 200/300 yd range without being a member and qualifying so, buck it up and join. not getting into someones financials but if you can afford to buy the barrett and feed it, joining another club is the least of your expenses. [grin]

The issue of cost doesn't seem like a big deal to me. The Barrett was only $3,450 (Thanks High Desert Tactical LLC). I already had an SWFA scope. And I can get 100 rounds of 50 bmg for $240. I figure that no matter which guns I bring, shooting will usually cost about the same amount: $100. If I shoot 5.56 and / or 45 acp then I'll probably shoot a few hundred rounds. I'd expect to shoot the Barrett around 30 times per trip. Keep in mind that the M99 doesn't have a buffer spring like the M107.

I'm only opposed to joining another range because of distance, time and lack of involvement. I feel bad enough about missing clean up days at MRA. This is why I'd prefer something other than an actual range.

A friend took me to a place in NH off rt 93 near exit 5 last Sunday. But, we only got off 5 shots before some idiot kids showed up on ATVs and it became unsafe to shoot. It's a lot of effort to load all the gear, drive up there and hope that we'll be able to shoot. I have a few leads on similar places that I'll check out this summer.

IIRC, Manchester Firing Line allowed 50 BMG

The backstop is a bullet trap with (to the trajectory) shallow baffles that direct the bullet in a sliding manner to a trap where the energy bleeds off.

Lol, no. I think they were 308 max. No steel core anything.

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard lots of people say this, so I called last week. They said no 50 bmg. I haven't been there in 7 years, but I thought they would let you rent an M2.

Again, nope. At one point there was an M60 for rent but don't know if the new owners still do that one.

The issue of cost doesn't seem like a big deal to me. The Barrett was only $3,450 (Thanks High Desert Tactical LLC). I already had an SWFA scope. And I can get 100 rounds of 50 bmg for $240. I figure that no matter which guns I bring, shooting will usually cost about the same amount: $100. If I shoot 5.56 and / or 45 acp then I'll probably shoot a few hundred rounds. I'd expect to shoot the Barrett around 30 times per trip. Keep in mind that the M99 doesn't have a buffer spring like the M107.

I'm only opposed to joining another range because of distance, time and lack of involvement. I feel bad enough about missing clean up days at MRA. This is why I'd prefer something other than an actual range.

A friend took me to a place in NH off rt 93 near exit 5 last Sunday. But, we only got off 5 shots before some idiot kids showed up on ATVs and it became unsafe to shoot. It's a lot of effort to load all the gear, drive up there and hope that we'll be able to shoot. I have a few leads on similar places that I'll check out this summer.

Talk to FSTC he'll help you out.

-Mike

I can host a guest at my club... just bring some extra ammo for me to shoot!

I'm assuming you mean Woburn Sportsmen's Association. They allow 50 bmg? If so, let's meet up some time and shoot until our shoulders hurt! I live about 20 min away.

Back
Top Bottom