Losing 2A Rights For Substance Abuse Treatment?

A friend of mine finally went and sought help for a problem with alcohol. They asked him if he owned a gun. He replied yes and the next question was would he be ok giving up his 2A rights if deemed necessary. He's not really into guns so he said yes.

Now he is afraid that the police are going to come seize his two handguns. He wants to transfer ownership over to me. Hell I can always use a few more guns.

I do want to open myself up to having the police knock on my door after paying visit to him as we live on the same street. Or have my local chief think that we pulled a fast one and he starts eyeing my LTC. His father also owns guns could he just bring them to his fathers house for safe keeping or do they have to be transfer out of his name?

I maybe over thinking this as I don't even know if his information is shared between the addiction councilors and local PD? Anyone ever dealt with this before.

Last edited:
Hey, well at least he gets to keep all the other amendments like 1, 3, 4, 5, etc... well maybe.

He answered yes......don't get involved. You will be next.
Do you know this for a fact? He's got money and doesn't care if he loses his guns or LTC. I on the other hand hate to see a good gun go to waste especially if all we have to do is take 2 mins to complete the online FA-10?
Hey, well at least he gets to keep all the other amendments like 1, 3, 4, 5, etc... well maybe.

I just did a quick google search and MA has a "Red Flag Law". So I guess the man can come and seize his guns ouch. Ya I don't think I want anything to do with this.

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker signs 'red flag' gun bill into law

I don't understand what you are worrying about. Do the transfer with the online EFA-10. Then the guns are yours not his, and not subject to any red flag law to confiscate "his" guns, since he no longer owns any.

I agree with that 100% and I hope that all the police chiefs in MA see it that way too. IIRC I have read cases where police went to great lengths to seize firearms. Such as going to the FFL's where they were on consignment or taking all of the guns in a house and not just the ones owned by the target of a protection order. $1,700 worth of free guns isn't enough to get me to invite potential trouble into my life. Lol

Do you know this for a fact? He's got money and doesn't care if he loses his guns or LTC. I on the other hand hate to see a good gun go to waste especially if all we have to do is take 2 mins to complete the online FA-10?

Ah. That's a restatement of your first comment. I can buy a couple of guns cheap from my buddy, will the po-po come after my LTC?

I agree with M1911.

That's the great thing about the Friends of Bill W.... they don't ask your name, they don't care if you have a gun, it's free and it works.

I agree with that 100% and I hope that all the police chiefs in MA see it that way too. IIRC I have read cases where police went to great lengths to seize firearms. Such as going to the FFL's where they were on consignment or taking all of the guns in a house and not just the ones owned by the target of a protection order. $1,700 worth of free guns isn't enough to get me to invite potential trouble into my life. Lol

Seriously, what are they going to do?

Do you live with this individual? If not, then once the guns are transferred THEY ARE YOURS. They aren’t his and he has no access to them. They aren’t on consignment. They aren’t being loaned. They belong to you and the EFA-10 documents that.

You are worried about nothing.

If you are still worried about it, do the transfer through an FFL. You’ll have to pay the dealer the transfer fees, but now his guns were transferred to the dealer, and the dealer then transferred them to you. It is effectively two transactions and puts a middleman between you and him.

A friend of mine finally went and sought help for a problem with alcohol. They asked him if he owned a gun. He replied yes and the next question was would he be ok giving up his 2A rights if deemed necessary. He's not really into guns so he said yes.

Now he is afraid that the police are going to come seize his two handguns. He wants to transfer ownership over to me. Hell I can always use a few more guns.

I do want to open myself up to having the police knock on my door after paying visit to him as we live on the same street. Or have my local chief think that we pulled a fast one and he starts eyeing my LTC. His father also owns guns could he just bring them to his fathers house for safe keeping or do they have to be transfer out of his name?

I maybe over thinking this as I don't even know if his information is shared between the addiction councilors and local PD? Anyone ever dealt with this before.
The man will care once he’s dried out and gets his shit together. Good man

It all depends on the chief.

I know someone that did that. His LTC was restored after treatment. He needed a

That’s what it boils down to. It is all about the town and police chief.

I’ve seen them show up on the doorstep collecting.

I’ve also seen them be grateful that the LTC holder was proactive. Once the treatment was complete and a doctor verified that he was cured the COP reinstated the LTC.

Bob

Your friend’s judgement sucks in many, many ways.

The guns are better off with you.

Christ on a f***ing cruise ship. This is the only response that makes any sense at all:
I don't understand what you are worrying about. Do the transfer with the online EFA-10. Then the guns are yours not his, and not subject to any red flag law to confiscate "his" guns, since he no longer owns any.
^Helping a friend in crisis out by taking possession of his guns is the good and righteous thing to do. A police chief has no grounds for revoking the LTC of someone who is acting this responsibly. I'd actually like to see it happen though. I know a few lawyers that would LOVE to take that appeal and I know 'someone' that would be willing to pick up the tab.

Good on the OP for being a caring and responsible friend. Don't listen to our Chicken Littles.

Dont abuse/do drugs.....simple problem with a simple solution
I don't think the OP was asking for a morality lecture to give to his friend.

Christ on a f***ing cruise ship. This is the only response that makes any sense at all:^Helping a friend in crisis out by taking possession of his guns is the good and righteous thing to do. A police chief has no grounds for revoking the LTC of someone who is acting this responsibly. I'd actually like to see it happen though. I know a few lawyers that would LOVE to take that appeal and I know 'someone' that would be willing to pick up the tab.

Good on the OP for being a caring and responsible friend. Don't listen to our Chicken Littles.

I don't think the OP was asking for a morality lecture to give to his friend.

The MGL is too long for me to read. It did state what I believe says that if there is a Red Flag order the guns can only be transfer to a dealer. I’m not sure so I figured I would ask the question here. As I didn’t want to put anymore effort into this transaction above and beyond the online FA-10.

Session Law - Acts of 2018 Chapter 123
: (i) transfer any firearms, rifles, shotguns, machine guns, weapons or ammunition required to be surrendered, or surrendered, by the respondent to anyone other than a licensed dealer;

If you are still worried about it, do the transfer through an FFL. You’ll have to pay the dealer the transfer fees, but now his guns were transferred to the dealer, and the dealer then transferred them to you. It is effectively two transactions and puts a middleman between you and him.
This, after the red flag BS that went down in Vermont with the nephew and uncle I wouldn't put it past some CoP to not want to be out-retarded by another.

The MGL is too long for me to read. It did state what I believe says that if there is a Red Flag order the guns can only be transfer to a dealer. I’m not sure so I figured I would ask the question here. As I didn’t want to put anymore effort into this transaction above and beyond the online FA-10.

Session Law - Acts of 2018 Chapter 123
: (i) transfer any firearms, rifles, shotguns, machine guns, weapons or ammunition required to be surrendered, or surrendered, by the respondent to anyone other than a licensed dealer;

Has a red flag order been issued?

If not, then do the transfer before one is. Once the guns are transferred, the guns are no longer his, and any red flag order created afterward won’t affect guns he no longer owns.

FYI, KnuckleDragger is affiliated with Comm2a. He knows of what he speaks.

Goodness gracious.

Back
Top Bottom