Lost 5 hens

Lost 3 more on Saturday morning. Went to let the dog out the front door at 7:30 and found a dead one on the doorstep. Searched around and found another, headless and gutted at the back of our yard by the tree-line. A third has not returned home with no evidence of her demise. All three were different breeds so based on where all the feathers are I can somewhat estimate what happened.
It looks like whatever got them got into the coop. We have an automatic door that opens on a light sensor. Opened at 7am. Feathers from the one at the front door are all over the coop. The one in the back yard by the tree-line looks like she bought it out front by the other and was carried off and dropped out back. I have thoroughly searched for the third one and cant find a single feather.

So, thoughts on what this was? One neighbor has seen a coyote recently, another neighbor's kid says he saw a fox that morning. The remaining four hens are locked up for now but can still exit to a penned area when the door opens at 7. I've been sitting watch with a 10/22 from a second story window with a good view of the coop the past few mornings but haven't seen anything yet. The door to the coop is small, chicken sized so I am thinking maybe fox. There has also been a fischer cat around too but I have not heard him in a while. Thoughts and advice?

Put a game camera up targeted at the door. Find out exactly which predator it is you are dealing with. This will guide next steps.

I have kept a camera up at the door to my coop for over three years now. Every time I have a problem, I can find the culprit and deal with it appropriately. Raccoons and Skunks are the most frequent visitors but we have also had members of the canine and feline families.

Racoons are very adept at getting into chicken coops they are very strong). Don't feel bad, my last 2 flocks have been destroyed by varmints (hawks, some kind of brown weasel thing, and coons). The weasel thing squeezed in thru a 3 inch hole and killed 2 birds.

EDIT: Coons hate electric fences I've been told...solar powered ones are fairly cheap.

Lost 3 more on Saturday morning. Went to let the dog out the front door at 7:30 and found a dead one on the doorstep. Searched around and found another, headless and gutted at the back of our yard by the tree-line. A third has not returned home with no evidence of her demise. All three were different breeds so based on where all the feathers are I can somewhat estimate what happened.
It looks like whatever got them got into the coop. We have an automatic door that opens on a light sensor. Opened at 7am. Feathers from the one at the front door are all over the coop. The one in the back yard by the tree-line looks like she bought it out front by the other and was carried off and dropped out back. I have thoroughly searched for the third one and cant find a single feather.

So, thoughts on what this was? One neighbor has seen a coyote recently, another neighbor's kid says he saw a fox that morning. The remaining four hens are locked up for now but can still exit to a penned area when the door opens at 7. I've been sitting watch with a 10/22 from a second story window with a good view of the coop the past few mornings but haven't seen anything yet. The door to the coop is small, chicken sized so I am thinking maybe fox. There has also been a fischer cat around too but I have not heard him in a while. Thoughts and advice?

Lock them up tight and put out a havahart trap baited with cat food or whatever out. I have caught skunks and coons that way. Then just shoot whatever it is while it is in the trap. That way you dont spend all day waiting. I have had fishers, coons, skunks, foxes and dogs kill my chickens. It sucks being on the low end of the food chain.

rig up a drop light, motion sensor, a bulb to outlet converter, extension cord, and a radio together

Then, when the critter moves, the power goes to the outlet, through the cord, and turns on the radio/light in your bedroom. You wake up, and go shoot the pest.

Lost 2 ducks to a fox (foxes?) last night, saw them in the yard but never got a good shot. I didn't find out the damage until this morning, I found 1 injured and 1 loose last night. Turns out there was another one dead in the yard this morning and a hen gone.

It was my fault, I had a damaged section of fence that I hadn't gotten around to fixing. "Nobody has bothered it yet, it can wait" Well, the foxes found it and carried off some birds to feed the family.

I lost a chicken last night as well. 4 year old let them out of the chicken run shortly before dusk because "it makes them happy". All came back but 1. Scoured the back yard and no sign. Heavy brush and woods behind and on the sides of the house so my guess is a fox was lurking.

I had an issue with a fox that came a few nights in a row and left 5 hens half dead or all dead in the yard. Can't remember if he took on with him or not.
The next night he got 1 1/8 oz of #7 about 5 feet from the end of the muzzle.

My father in law lost 2 a couple days ago....the culprit was still in the coup--a 20-25 lb coon. I've never seen one that fat.

We lost a lot of 7 week old pheasant a couple weeks ago. The debate is either fisher or otter (the females are feeding young and we found on chick over by the water). The animal itself killed only 8 or 10. But it came at night and pheasant have terrible night vision and spook easy. It created a panic in the pen and we lost hundreds by flying into the fencing, netting, each other, and posts and breaking their necks. It happened when the birds were the most vulnerable. The birds were going to be moved to a larger pen in a few days so they were fairly dense, if it had happened in the larger pen not so much collateral damage would have occurred because of more space. If the birds had been older the roosters would have been able to fight back the animal.

So we just yesterday we just replaced the bottom third of our pen from chicken wire to vinyl coated welded wire, 16 ga 1"x1". The stuff is not cheap but other bird farmers I spoke to all swore by it, one has had in for 12 years and another a decade, and another 9 years, all with no problem whatsoever. So hopefully this will prevent future disasters.

Lost 3 hens about a month ago and some quail before that. SOmething pulled the quail through the wire and ate them through the wire. I an guessing either a fisher or a raccoon. I processed the rest of my quail yesterday and put some backs in the havahart. Had a coon in it this morning. I think there is more than one as I dumped the gut bucket next to the trap and all the parts were gone in the morning. If I had been smarter I should have froze the rest of the backs for bait.

We lost a lot of 7 week old pheasant a couple weeks ago. The debate is either fisher or otter (the females are feeding young and we found on chick over by the water). The animal itself killed only 8 or 10. But it came at night and pheasant have terrible night vision and spook easy. It created a panic in the pen and we lost hundreds by flying into the fencing, netting, each other, and posts and breaking their necks. It happened when the birds were the most vulnerable. The birds were going to be moved to a larger pen in a few days so they were fairly dense, if it had happened in the larger pen not so much collateral damage would have occurred because of more space. If the birds had been older the roosters would have been able to fight back the animal.

So we just yesterday we just replaced the bottom third of our pen from chicken wire to vinyl coated welded wire, 16 ga 1"x1". The stuff is not cheap but other bird farmers I spoke to all swore by it, one has had in for 12 years and another a decade, and another 9 years, all with no problem whatsoever. So hopefully this will prevent future disasters.

That was EXACTLY what you needed to do, chicken wire does very little to protect birds. It mostly just keeps the birds in, we have the bottom 2' plus 1' of "skirt" around our run. We have never had a break in until now and this one was due to my failure to repair a known vulnerability in a timely manor.

Man! Too bad you all lost some birds. So far so good here. Almost lost one to a hawk. It nearly plucked her bald and she had some wounds. Pretty sure the rooster saved her and she healed up OK aside from the feather loss.

We spent the money and used hardware cloth all around the run and over the windows. We also dug a trench around the perimeter and laid fencing and covered it with rocks and then soil on top to discourage any thing that would tunnel under.

We have woods all around with foxes and fisher cats so I'm sure we'll get hit some day. I've seen a fox out in the morning so I wait a while before letting them out for the day.

I used the same stuff and have not lost a bird since and we have had some attempts (last night a huge skunk was at the coop and could not get in). I also went down in the run with 12x12x1 paving stones for a foundation in addition to the wire. During the day the girls are out and at dusk me or the kids close them in. My mother-in-law lost 6 birds and a cat to a Fisher. Since I redid her coop with the vinyl stuff her birds have been fine despite the fisher activity.

a few weeks ago, my gf lost 28 8-week old chickens and a few of the older ones injured, all in one night. tough break, but we secured the coop better and its been good since. nothing has bothered the rabbits yet, thankfully.

how do you mix your birds of different ages? I have 8 new chicks that I'm going to need to integrate with the existing dozen soon.....

how do you mix your birds of different ages? I have 8 new chicks that I'm going to need to integrate with the existing dozen soon.....

I've had no trouble adding new birds at dusk just as the flock is starting to roost. It's almost like they don't notice, then just act like they've been there all along in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom