• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lost key to gun lock

Not sure why you would ever use a trigger lock under transport, trigger locks are legally meaningless in MA at least, for the purposes of transportation. (and completely irrelevant everywhere else) Unless you locked a case and forgot the key to the padlock.....
I don’t get it either. I always laugh when I’m at my club and members show up with guns in a locked case and a lock on the gun 🤦🏻‍♂️😂
One of them struck up a conversation with me and I told them the locks aren’t required for transport. Needless to say they wouldn’t believe me

I don’t get it either. I always laugh when I’m at my club and members show up with guns in a locked case and a lock on the gun 🤦🏻‍♂️😂
One of them struck up a conversation with me and I told them the locks aren’t required for transport. Needless to say they wouldn’t believe me
I thought a handgun not under direct control had to be locked when transporting.

Locked case + locked gun = not necessary.

I thought a handgun not under direct control had to be locked when transporting.

Locked case + locked gun = not necessary.
No you’re right. I should have included more info. They had the guns in a locked trunk which would have been enough. But they had locks on the case and gun too

That lock has more than enough space to not touch the gun.

But I can see how some people would somehow cut the gun.
I think a lot of the brute force methods are more likely to damage the firearm. Many other methods have been discussed here…

If you f*** your gun up removing a lock… You’re probably not smart enough to carry a handgun in the first place..

It reminds me of people who put a trigger locks on loaded guns.

Somewhere around here I have a bag full of like 150 trigger locks I thought about dropping them off at the police department but I just makes you look like a whack job. Just throw them in the trash.

All these trigger locks are stupid

If all that doesn’t work try the keys to your other cheap gun locks. I think there are, like, 6 discrete models and I often find they work on more than one of my locks.

I think a lot of the brute force methods are more likely to damage the firearm. Many other methods have been discussed here…

If you f*** your gun up removing a lock… You’re probably not smart enough to carry a handgun in the first place..

It reminds me of people who put a trigger locks on loaded guns.

Somewhere around here I have a bag full of like 150 trigger locks I thought about dropping them off at the police department but I just makes you look like a whack job. Just throw them in the trash.

All these trigger locks are stupid
I only have a trigger lock on one gun, and it was me being an idiot like 9 years ago.

It is a safe queen mauser, I think I must have put the lock for transport since I didn't have a "trunk".

It is a combination lock and has a small hole for a pin, I believe that is to open it if I forget the combination.

Anyway, one day I was bored and decided to try every combination (3 numbers 0-9 so that is 1,000 possible combinations).

I went through it pretty fast and didn't open. I must have missed one. LOL.

So anyway, it is still locked until I decide to stop being lazy and use a pin to open it.

I can't cut it, it is one of those trigger locks that hugs the trigger.

Clearly it is not as important to me since I tried this 3 weeks ago and didn't try again. Maybe in a month I will be inspired to try again.

But yeah, no locks on any guns. If I ever have to use one, for example when I bought the 2 BFR and didn't have a case big enough, I use a cable lock that is easy to cut if needed.

Not sure why you would ever use a trigger lock under transport, trigger locks are legally meaningless in MA at least, for the purposes of transportation. (and completely irrelevant everywhere else) Unless you locked a case and forgot the key to the padlock.....
Trigger locks are OK if you have a handgun in your vehicle that is not under direct control but has a trigger lock. They are of no use for large capacity rifles and shotguns that require a locked case or trunk.

It is a combination lock and has a small hole for a pin, I believe that is to open it if I forget the combination.

I can't cut it, it is one of those trigger locks that hugs the trigger.
The hole is for resetting the combo, and works when you have the lock dialed to the opening combo.

A dental style pick can often be used to spring the ratchet - you work it between the rubber protecting the trigger guard and the trigger guard. BTDT.

If i inherited a gun like that I'd get a set of picks and try picking first.

BTW this is a common mid size + gun shop pastime.... used guns get traded in with locks still on them and no key. 🤣 its not a huge number but it's not insignificant either. Dremel or force is usually the tool of last resort. Most locks suck so bad it's not that hard to pick/shim them. Combo locks often even have tons of their own vulnerabilities.

This would be my first go-to as well. Most of these cheap locks can be raked rather easily. I've done one (well, this one was a bike lock) with a large paperclip, snipped right at the beginning of the curve to give it a slight upward sweep. Slotted a thin flathead into the keyhole to apply rotational pressure, and just raked the pins.

I try to keep the locks that go with each new pistol-just keep it in the case with the other trash.

Whenever I find strays I either drop them off at a thrift store or at our dump's "swop shop". Yes, it's spelled like that. :)

It's probably a 10 second rake job at most.
I've seen my son stick a single tool in a lock and forcefully pull it back and forth and the lock opens ...Is that "raking"?

Sometimes he uses 2 tools at the same time.

Seen him use just an unfolded paper clip.

I've seen my son stick a single tool in a lock and forcefully pull it back and forth and the lock opens ...Is that "raking"?

Sometimes he uses 2 tools at the same time.

Seen him use just an unfolded paper clip.

forward and back motion is raking. Usually you'd want to use a tension tool to also apply force to spin the lock open when the rake does its magic. You can also do this with the rake but you'll damage the rake sooner than later (or immediately).

cheap locks are notoriously easy to rake. The majority of "gun locks" are considered cheap locks.

forward and back motion is raking. Usually you'd want to use a tension tool to also apply force to spin the lock open when the rake does its magic. You can also do this with the rake but you'll damage the rake sooner than later (or immediately).

cheap locks are notoriously easy to rake. The majority of "gun locks" are considered cheap locks.
Yeah, cool.
Now that you say that.... He bent one of his tools once doing that maneuver..... He was pissed... Haha.

Trigger locks are OK if you have a handgun in your vehicle that is not under direct control but has a trigger lock. They are of no use for large capacity rifles and shotguns that require a locked case or trunk.

I thought trigger locks WRT handguns were totally irrelevant for anything except storage and that a firearm under transport had to be either in a "locked trunk or other secure container" etc. or is that a provision that only applied to large cap "firearms" ? So like if a guy was driving around with a loose handgun under the backseat, a trigger lock wouldn't cut it unless the vehicle was parked. (and not under transport).

I thought trigger locks WRT handguns were totally irrelevant for anything except storage and that a firearm under transport had to be either in a "locked trunk or other secure container" etc. or is that a provision that only applied to large cap "firearms" ? So like if a guy was driving around with a loose handgun under the backseat, a trigger lock wouldn't cut it unless the vehicle was parked. (and not under transport).

131C(b) is where the "locked trunk or case" comes from. I am not aware of any section of MGL that includes that specific requirement. It is also the only section of MGL I am aware of that provides for a FID/LTC suspenstion of a specified duration as a penalty.

Section 131C: Carrying of firearms in a vehicle​

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a license issued pursuant to section 131 or 131F shall carry the loaded firearm in a vehicle unless the loaded firearm while carried in the vehicle is under the direct control of the person. Whoever violates this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a license issued pursuant to section 131 or 131F shall possess the large capacity rifle or shotgun in a vehicle unless the large capacity rifle or shotgun is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of the vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

(c) This section shall not apply to: (i) an officer, agent or employee of the commonwealth, any state or the United States; (ii) a member of the military or other service of any state or of the United States; (iii) a duly authorized law enforcement officer, agent or employee of a municipality of the commonwealth; provided, however, that a person described in clauses (i) to (iii), inclusive, is authorized by a competent authority to carry or possess the weapon so carried or possessed and is acting within the scope of the person's official duties.

(d) A conviction of a violation of this section shall be reported immediately by the court or magistrate to the licensing authority. The licensing authority shall immediately revoke the firearm identification card or license of the person convicted of a violation of this section. No new firearm identification card or license may be issued to a person convicted of a violation of this section until 1 year after the date of revocation of the firearm identification card or license.

I can't blame them. MA gun laws are so whack and confusing I bet most people just say "f*** it" and go with the safe route.

It's not like MA is friendly in anyway towards lawful firearm ownership.

I can't blame them. MA gun laws are so whack and confusing I bet most people just say "f*** it" and go with the safe route.

It's not like MA is friendly in anyway towards lawful firearm ownership.
Very true.

That is a Master padlock, one of the easiest locks in the world to pick. They can be single-pin picked, usually raked, combed or shimmed. The advantage of doing that is that you can then take the lock to a locksmith and get a new key made.

These things are basically lock-shaped garbage.
Once you realize that 95% percent of padlocks like this can be picked in seconds with improvised tools, it will change your whole perceptive on the "security" they provide. Master does makes a few decent locks, but this ain't one of them.

Back
Top Bottom