Lost Teenager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Army20Fat.jpg

If that's not photoshopped, there's no excuse....they should have put him in the back of the chow line. kick him out of the DFAC, lol.

The only time I ever was embarrassed by other service members was at Airborne school,,, whata joke.

Good luck.

Airborne was a breeze....but the PT test did drop a handful of marines on day one. I believe it was the situps. Correct me if i'm wrong but you guys do crunches right? I think that's what got 'em.
On the other hand, the army guys that failed it have no excuse.
It's all hurry up and wait but you can't say it wasn't awesome going out that door!

Airborne was a breeze....but the PT test did drop a handful of marines on day one. I believe it was the situps. Correct me if i'm wrong but you guys do crunches right? I think that's what got 'em.
On the other hand, the army guys that failed it have no excuse.
It's all hurry up and wait but you can't say it wasn't awesome going out that door!

I doubt Marines were dropped for PT,, the PT there is the easiest I saw in my eight years on active duty. The runs were walks, the overall PT was a joke. Maybe some Marine ANGLICO pogues dropped, but I doubt grunt Marines were dropped at Airborne for PT. In the Army any Tom Dick or Harry goes to Airborne. A very, very small percentage of Marines go to Airborne, and most of them that go are specialized guys who wouldn't fail those PT tests unless they tried. In my class, no Marines dropped, but tons of "others" dropped on a daily basis. It was sad and embarrassing.

I tend to agree, alot of guys got dropped for dumb crap on their part, but I honestly saw 3-4 marines get dropped on the pt test. Could have been the "41 club" but I really don't know. The class size started out with way too many people. The marines that were in my class were all recon guys and such, i had a good time learning from them and listening to their experience was one of the best parts of gonig down there. The pt we did there was pretty much a joke, long, slow boring runs, but personally I had never sky-dived or anything like that so jumping was awesome for me.
The funniest guy that dropped was one of the "foreign service" soldiers. I forgot what country he was from but I think he was an O-3 on are standards, at least I remember him wearing captains bars. Anyway, he just didn't show up for PT one morning and i'm sure he went back to his country looking like a total asshat.

The army is over 4 times the size of the Marine Corps, (think fat and bloated) the Marine Corps IS the first to fight, and we are the few and the proud. The army holds the ground that we take. //
Where, exactly, were the Marines the first to fight? Gulf War I? Afghanistan? Iraq? In my experience they are "First to issue a Press Release."[smile]

As far as BAC (Basic Airborne Course, which sounds like what you went to) it's a qualification course. When I went in the Summer there were over 400 students: EM's, NCO's, officers, a few SEALs, a few Marines - and a bunch of ROTC Cadets. The bad news is there is little on earth as worthless as a Cadet. The good news is that some of the Southern Colleges had some really good looking female Cadets. This gave me something to do while we were doing pushups.

Some people think that basic training is difficult. My brother thought Marine OCS was challenging. To each their own.

Last edited:
Where, exactly, were the Marines the first to fight? Gulf War I? Afghanistan? Iraq? In my experience they are "First to issue a Press Release."[smile]

As far as BAC (Basic Airborne Course, which sounds like what you went to) it's a qualification course. When I went in the Summer there were over 400 students: EM's, NCO's, officers, a few SEALs, a few Marines - and a bunch of ROTC Cadets. The bad news is there is little on earth as worthless as a Cadet. The good news is that some of the Southern Colleges had some really good looking female Cadets. This gave me something to do while we were doing pushups.

Some people think that basic training is difficult. My brother thought Marine OCS was challenging. To each their own.

Two things, one - you clearly have penis envy, and two - you make a lot of excuses.

Good luck.

Look, keep this clean and keep this civil or i am shutting this thread down.

Civil discourse with a bunch of veterans about which branch is better?

That's like asking a sailor to not drink or swear.

Or a doggie to think for themselves.

Or a jarhead to be gentle.

Or an airman to do anything.

[rofl]

Sorry, I had to.

Yeah, I know. We all favor our branch,but I am posting the reminder cause I am extremely close to shutting it down.
it's about run it's course anyways.

You guys are probably going to scare this poor kid off from any sort of military service!

We can go on making jokes (some profane, some bitingly close to the truth) about each other and in a "military bubba" thread this would probably be accepted if not downright encouraged. But tearing one another down like this makes it difficult for a young person to sort out the pros and cons of military service.

Anyway, I'll add my bit to the OP's question.

I did 4 active Navy as an aviation electrician's mate with a sea-going helo squadron. I've been with the NH air guard for over 4 years now as well.

The main difference between them is that in the Navy, they give you a list of things you can't do. If it's not on that list, go ahead and do it, and if it fixes the problem, cool. In the AF, they give you a list of things you can do, and if it's not on that list, don't do it. The AF way I find frustrating a lot of times, because of this. OTOH, the AF lifestyle is a cakewalk. If I didn't have a family, I'd be back in the Navy now.

So join the Marines.

Two things, one - you clearly have penis envy, and two - you make a lot of excuses.

Good luck.
Unlike most of you, I seriously compared the two services ind detail. My brother had only recently completed his USMC active duty and was in the Marine reserves when I enlisted in the Army. I'll say again only that if you prefer the Marine brand of conventional leg infantry service, more power to you.

Marines seem to find it impossible to ever say anything good about the Army or any other service. I live in South Boston so I hear it often, even from the beached whales sitting on bar stools who can't even see their own feet. Apparently they make USMC sweatshirts in XXXXL.

Want some help on when the Marines were "First to fight?" Tripoli. Caribbean and South and Central America. Wake Island. Otherwise it's just another example of you folks drinking your own unCola.

All right we are done here. Nothing good ever happens with these threads, and I would really hate to see any kid turned off of joining the military because you guys can't keep the interservice rivalry out of it. Maybe some of you could actually be civil and just stick to pros and cons instead of the garbage. As I have said we are ALL partial to our branch of service. Hopefully this kid and others will do like my son did and talk to ALL of the recruiters as they came through his school and decide which would be the best fit for what they want to accomplish. Now the next time a thread like this gets started keep the crap to yourselves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom