• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lott on OC vs CCW

MaverickNH

NES Member
Note on concealed versus open carry

Here is something that I get asked about a lot, and I just posted this note on a facebook page so I thought that I would repost it here.

I have no problem with people openly carrying their guns, but there are crime deterrent benefits from concealed carry that you definitely don't get from open carry. Here is one example. As Israel has learned the hard way, simply putting armed police and military on the streets didn't stop terrorist attacks. Even if you have openly armed police or military on a bus, the terrorist has the option to either wait for them to leave the scene or to kill them first. With CCW, the attacker doesn't know who is able to defend themselves and he doesn't know whom to attack first.

Take the case of attacking individual victims who are not around other people. Having more people carry concealed generally produces more of an overall crime reducing effect than open carry because criminals will leave the open carry person alone and then wait for someone that is unarmed. Concealed carry people produce a benefit for people other than themselves.

The question here isn't whether open carry doesn't deter crime. The question is which deters crime more: open or concealed carry.

The main reason for carrying openly is to make a public statement, to demonstrate to others that it is legal to carry a gun. That is fine if you want to make a public statement and that is your choice. If you want to reduce crime, while having some people with open carry is fine, having the same percentage of people with concealed carry would have a greater impact.

This point is independent of licensing. Obviously some states such as Arizona, Alaska, 98+ percent of Montana, and Vermont allow concealed carry without a license. Hopefully with a few more states changing their laws to adopt a "Vermont" style approach it will be possible to test how effective in reducing crime.
http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/

COMMENTS:

Last summer, I saw plenty of police, soldiers, guards and citizens with firarms throughout Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and elsewhere. The military regularly commuted on buses and trains with their duty weapons. I didn't see anyone CCW (of course) but assumed they were all around me. The exception being plain-cloths police that appeared with pistols drawn whne trouble errupted in the Old City near the Western Wall. I got a low-ready cover for an instant, quickly judged a harmless tourist, and the the guy refocused while I back-peddelled very quickly.

The main reason for carrying openly is to make a public statement, to demonstrate to others that it is legal to carry a gun. That is fine if you want to make a public statement and that is your choice.

This statement is complete opinion and represents your POV as to why someone chooses to do something.

If I choose to open carry, its so that I don't get attacked because the BG can see I'm prepared to defend myself, not to show off. If the bad guy leaves me alone and attacks someone who isn't (or he thinks isn't) carrying, then my deterrent worked exactly like I wanted it to. It's not my fault others don't carry the means with which to protect themselves. Those people we refer to as sheep. They really upon the shepherd to make them safe.

This statement is complete opinion and represents your POV as to why someone chooses to do something.

If I choose to open carry, its so that I don't get attacked because the BG can see I'm prepared to defend myself, not to show off. If the bad guy leaves me alone and attacks someone who isn't (or he thinks isn't) carrying, then my deterrent worked exactly like I wanted it to. It's not my fault others don't carry the means with which to protect themselves. Those people we refer to as sheep. They really upon the shepherd to make them safe.

Just to be clear, this is an article by John Lott - my comments below.

MaverickNH I like the post, and don't disagree. But, wouldn't you need more accounts of armed citizens fighting off BGs to instill that fear in the first place?

I agree with the article's sentiment in general. One of the benefits of OC is that as sheeples get desensitized, there will be less chance of a big rah rah should someone's CCW happens to print or show a little.

I honestly could not care less if society benefits more if I CCW vs OC or the other way around.

I do not carry a weapon for the benefit of society. I carry it for my benefit alone.

The question here isn't whether open carry doesn't deter crime. The question is which deters crime more: open or concealed carry.
The successful application of a firearm in self defense in an area coupled with press reports seem to be the deciding factor, not the nature of the carry...

It's actually pretty surprising how fast the "criminal community" seems to react to news stories and/or changes in the laws/carry demographics...

They are well informed consumers. [wink]

Open Carry should be legal so that we don't have to walk around in fear of our shirt catching on the butt of the gun, or what condition we left the range or the bathroom, etc... It's a tool, it should be treated as such. It is utterly ridiculous that people are arrested for scaring the sheep...

I am of the opinion though that you are better off concealed to avoid becoming a target and give you options in a confrontation.

I honestly could not care less if society benefits more if I CCW vs OC or the other way around.

I do not carry a weapon for the benefit of society. I carry it for my benefit alone.
The joy of capitalism/liberty is that society can/will benefit from "individual greed"...

You need not have a nation filled with altruistic do-gooders, to have a nation of good people. You carry for your benefit, but your willingness to "do the right thing" and ability to do so benefits even those that are not willing in the form of deterrent.

"Greed is good... Greed works...." -Gordon Gecko [wink]

MaverickNH I like the post, and don't disagree. But, wouldn't you need more accounts of armed citizens fighting off BGs to instill that fear in the first place?

Lott has also published a book on the media's under-reporting of defensive uses of guns. They are out there in the local papers, but fizzle unless the BG shoots several people before a GG takes them down.

"If it bleeds, it leads" unless it has a pro-gun slant, then the media let the story die on page 17.

But still, whatever the cause, even the academic debate is not whether More Guns = Less Crime, but how much less.

Lott has also published a book on the media's under-reporting of defensive uses of guns. They are out there in the local papers, but fizzle unless the BG shoots several people before a GG takes them down.

"If it bleeds, it leads" unless it has a pro-gun slant, then the media let the story die on page 17.

But still, whatever the cause, even the academic debate is not whether More Guns = Less Crime, but how much less.

Too true, if it wasn't the the NRA website, American Riflemen, and Kevlar I wouldn't hear as many stories as I do.

Back
Top Bottom