• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Low left problem

3. Balance a coin on the top of the front sight.

I completely agree. I have only played with it a little bit, but didn't see a lot of change in my groups patterns. More fundamentals for me. But if it helps someone else, I'd be remiss to not share.

You're dangerously close to implying that it's better to have just one gun...gives a guy a fright.

Haha. Not 1 gun.... BUT if you are remotely interested in moving beyond average performance relative to self defense or competitive shooting, a single platform that you stick to, understand, and learn the timing.... helps.

Haha. Not 1 gun.... BUT if you are remotely interested in moving beyond average performance relative to self defense or competitive shooting, a single platform that you stick to, understand, and learn the timing.... helps.
monica.jpg

...tightening grip...
+1 - Overgripping with lower fingers happens for some people with different handguns. It almost always pulls a consistent low left. OP, try shooting with just your thumb and middle finger gripping - index your ring and little fingers. Jim Conway used to have some students shoot his G26 that way to show how little grip is necessary to retain control. If that shows overgripping to be the issue, you can then work on a better strong grip (which I assume you're doing for faster recovery).

I'm guessing you're flinching. Most people seem to flinch low left. You can aim high right but that only treats the symptom, not the problem. Flinching is your body trying to protect itself. It's like throwing your arms out when you slip and fall. Dry firing won't help because if your brain knows the gun is empty, you won't flinch. Getting rid of a flinch is physically easy but mentally difficult. Where are you located?

I had a funny flinching problem. I bought new shooting glasses with the corrected lens. The first time I used them all my shots were going low left with 3 firearms, I mean bad low left!
What I realized was the temples on the new glasses were thicker and the muffs weren't sealing good causing the flinch. I added some Surefire ear plugs and it fixed the problem.

This 100% do the 1 gun for a year challenge. It will improve your shooting, bouncing around from gun to gun never really lets you figure things out. I'm doing it this year, shooting nothing but a g19 for a whole year. Along with taking some classes with some better, more combat oriented, instructors, my shooting has improved quite a bit.

Thanks for all of your replies. I have been researching and practicing getting better.

1) I think it is due to the small size of the grip and the trigger placement. I was shooing my M&P compact a lot before the Hellcat and did not have this problem.
2) Snap caps show I am flinching, but that has been getting better.
3) Analyzing my trigger finger I think it is not far enough in. Working on pushing it more to the first knuckle.
4) And my strong hand grip is too tight right to left. Trigger finger moves the others.
5) I came across a couple of videos that talk about exerting forward pressure with the strong hand and backward pressure with the support hand. Didn't make any sense until I tried it. Wow. Pushing forward is like a wall to keep the gun from pushing backward. Pulling forward keeps the gun locked into the strong palm and keeps the muzzle from rising. And all without any lateral pressure. When I master this it will make a huge difference.
6) Doing the white wall drill has helped a lot.

The push pull method is a bandaid fix to other issues. It is not a path that leads very far in shooting progression. The lateral pressure, squeezing the grip like a vise is what you want. It will take longer to master, but will allow you to progress furth

The push pull method is a bandaid fix to other issues. It is not a path that leads very far in shooting progression. The lateral pressure, squeezing the grip like a vise is what you want. It will take longer to master, but will allow you to progress further
The push/pull seems so logical however it's not widely recommended. This is probably why. Thanks for the info.

I think my issue is a direct result of the little gun and my reaction to it (plus training a lot with it in a brief period).

The trigger on the Hellcat was terrible locked up nearly every time I shot it so after a couple mags put it away until I installed me PRP trigger. No locking up

I feel that I need to get more of my finger on the trigger. Also I have been trying to relax my strong hand and grip tight with my support hand. Any advice on that?

Mike Seeklander does a nice job explaining grip. One of skills that take a good amount of practice to learn is to grip hard with all your fingers, but still be able to have fine control over your trigger finger. I find it easier to do that when I use the pad of my finger, others might use more, all that matters is that the sights don't move and you can smoothly break the shot without disturbing the sights.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue1l1qz-U4M&t=401s

Last edited:
The push/pull seems so logical however it's not widely recommended. This is probably why. Thanks for the info.

I think my issue is a direct result of the little gun and my reaction to it (plus training a lot with it in a brief period).

The trigger on the Hellcat was terrible locked up nearly every time I shot it so after a couple mags put it away until I installed me PRP trigger. No locking up

I feel that I need to get more of my finger on the trigger. Also I have been trying to relax my strong hand and grip tight with my support hand. Any advice on that?
if you do not have it - it will help to finesse trigger finger movement - the dry fire kit.
View: https://www.amazon.com/Pink-Rhino-Laser-Training-Cartridge/dp/B07K34W265
View: https://www.amazon.com/CheapShot-Tactical-Training-Target/dp/B00OMCTX96

or something similar to that.

for recoil control and vice grip you will need to keep training, one problem at a time.

That's a great video. Trying that technique tonight.

I have a lot of pistols I am currently working with my Hellcat EDC and Beretta 92FS LTT. Both have red dots. I feel like I should concentrate on the Beretta and dial that in before really working on the EDC. I am shooting Steel Challenge so that's happening often. And the Beretta is less snappy so it might help be perfect the grip faster than the other. Thoughts?

That's a great video. Trying that technique tonight.

I have a lot of pistols I am currently working with my Hellcat EDC and Beretta 92FS LTT. Both have red dots. I feel like I should concentrate on the Beretta and dial that in before really working on the EDC. I am shooting Steel Challenge so that's happening often. And the Beretta is less snappy so it might help be perfect the grip faster than the other. Thoughts?
"I have a lot of pistols." is your problem. Shoot only the gun you carry for a year, period. Shoot your matches with it too. Forget the push pull crap, grip the gun like you're trying to pop it, emphasis on squeezing tight with your pinky and ring fingers, both hands tight and thumbs high and thumbs relaxed. You should be holding the gun tight enough that it can't move when you press the trigger. Yes it's tiring on your hands and forearms but like anything else you will get stronger. Grip strength absolutely matters with pistol shooting. Shake hands with a professional shooter, they will crush your hand. Watch this video.

View: https://youtu.be/nmzCHeJ23w0

Last edited:
When I was shooting .22 bullseye I used the finger tip for slow fire, the first knuckle for timed and rapid. But that was one handed shooting with a super light trigger. When I went to IDPA and USPSA, it was a whole different thing. It was the 2 handed grip with push/pull, and the thumb of the support hand securely along the side of the frame, as far as comfortable, to steady the pistol to control the tendency to push the pistol left and down when quickly squeezing the trigger with the first knuckle trigger press.
The thumb along the side of the frame was a big help except when shooting a revolver; don't extend it too far forward near the cylinder gap.

I don't do the thumbs relaxed, Your thumb is very strong and you can create a lot of grip pressure with meat of your thumbs by pushing them down. I don't push on the gun with the tips of my thumbs as that influences the gun
This is incorrect, the thumb is actually not very strong, the middle finger, ring finger and pinky are where all of your grip strength are. Try hanging from a pullup bar using only your thumb and pointer finger, it's next to impossible, then try doing it with only your middle, ring, and pinky, you'll see what I mean. Same can also be done by shaking someone's hand, you can't hold onto anything with your thumb and pointer finger, you can crush someone's hand with your other three fingers though. Driving forward/down with the thumbs is outdated thinking, nobody does it anymore, it causes more problems than anything.

There's no possibility that it could be due to having a bunch of different guns with different Tigger timing, recoil patterns, or sights. No possible way.
Probably not some guns you just shoot better than others... im dead on with 226's 92fs's glock 17s cz p10fs. Raced up sao doesn't matter put a 1911 in my hand I'm lucky to keep the mag in the 9 ring. Just how it goes for me

And I'm a decent shooter with handguns

Said no climber ever...
I've been climbing since I was a teenager. You really dont use your thumb that much. Go, try to shake someones hand and squeeze it hard with your thumb and forefinger without the other three fingers, you can't. You literally have no grip strength in your thumb, its basic anatomy, look at the structure of your hand and wrist and forearm. The largest muscles in the forearm are connected to the fingers, not the thumb.

Probably not some guns you just shoot better than others... im dead on with 226's 92fs's glock 17s cz p10fs. Raced up sao doesn't matter put a 1911 in my hand I'm lucky to keep the mag in the 9 ring. Just how it goes for me

And I'm a decent shooter with handguns

Shooting slow and accurate is different than trying to work towards your peak performance with a pistol. Shoot 10 different guns and enjoy being jack of all trades and master of none.

I've been climbing since I was a teenager. You really dont use your thumb that much. Go, try to shake someones hand and squeeze it hard with your thumb and forefinger without the other three fingers, you can't. You literally have no grip strength in your thumb, its basic anatomy, look at the structure of your hand and wrist and forearm. The largest muscles in the forearm are connected to the fingers, not the thumb.
This has not been my experience with grip trainers nor with climbing, but I will defer to yours as I can only offer anecdote.

Shooting slow and accurate is different than trying to work towards your peak performance with a pistol. Shoot 10 different guns and enjoy being jack of all trades and master of none.
I have a bunch and shoot most well fast... I can rip 20 rounds from a tp9sfx into one smallish hole.... just for whatever reason I don't like 1911s

Or metal czs

Back
Top Bottom