• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Low Profile Ear muffs

Hi All,

I'm looking for a good pair of low profile ear muffs for rifle shooting. Looking for high NRR rating, something comfy, and won't get in the way of sighting through a scope.

Any suggestions? I will also consider a good set of ear plugs.

Thanks

Scooter58

I have these as well. Definitely much lower profile for rifle.

I have some Peltor's with the electronic sound protection and I have to say they do a better job of blocking sound when needed, and passing through allowable sounds (i.e. conversation). But they are big and I fight with them when shooting rifle.

So I carry two pair... one for rifle and one for pistol.

All I can say is if you can afford it, buy electronic earmuffs. They are generally slimmer than old school earmuffs to boot. The ringing in my ears is so bad I can't stand it. My boys will never shoot with anything other than electronics when they get old enough.

Funnily enough, best pair of earplugs I've ever had are the purple CVS brand, and dirt cheap. Also are 33dB NR.

I think they were like these. Best I've ever used, though. Even better than my big 29db mickey-mouse ears.

Funnily enough, best pair of earplugs I've ever had are the purple CVS brand, and dirt cheap. Also are 33dB NR.

I think they were like these. Best I've ever used, though. Even better than my big 29db mickey-mouse ears.

The ones I got are orange, but yes they work great (disposable)... Used them several times before I got my Howard's but I still keep the jar of them in my range bag for guests.

The NRR for foam plugs is misleading. Much of the concussion from gun fire is transmitted via BONE - as in, your skull. Muffs reduce this source of hearing loss.

I generally wear plugs and muffs for any centerfire work.

The NRR for foam plugs is misleading. Much of the concussion from gun fire is transmitted via BONE - as in, your skull. Muffs reduce this source of hearing loss.

I generally wear plugs and muffs for any centerfire work.

Got some peer reviewed studies that I can read?

Otherwise, not buying it. Damage to the sensitive hairs in the ear canal (where tinnitus and loss of hearing comes from) comes from an exessive SPL bearing against the ear drum. Suffering from tinnitus, I've done a bit of looking into this.

The only way I can see your theory holding water is if you wore a full face helmet. Otherwise, your skull is still mostly exposed to the damaging SPL.

And if the NRR of foam plugs is bogus, you should let OSHA know.

Got some peer reviewed studies that I can read?

Otherwise, not buying it. Damage to the sensitive hairs in the ear canal (where tinnitus and loss of hearing comes from) comes from an exessive SPL bearing against the ear drum. Suffering from tinnitus, I've done a bit of looking into this.

The only way I can see your theory holding water is if you wore a full face helmet. Otherwise, your skull is still mostly exposed to the damaging SPL.

And if the NRR of foam plugs is bogus, you should let OSHA know.

I guess he told you, Keith. I respectfully agree with Jose on this. I have worked in too many areas where different levels and frequecies of noise can potentially cause hearing issues. I have never heard of bone transmitted noise. This includes VERY loud machinery that operates at both low frequencies and harmonic multiples of that frequency at different locations on that machine.

Back to the OT:
I know people who use both foam plugs and over-ear muffs. Belt and suspenders approach. I picked up a pair of Howard Leight electronic muffs about a year ago in Kittery ($40.00 or so). They worked well, but died last month. They still seem to work without the electronics but conventional muffs seem to work better.

Chris

I guess he told you, Keith. I respectfully agree with Jose on this. I have worked in too many areas where different levels and frequecies of noise can potentially cause hearing issues. I have never heard of bone transmitted noise. This includes VERY loud machinery that operates at both low frequencies and harmonic multiples of that frequency at different locations on that machine.

Back to the OT:
I know people who use both foam plugs and over-ear muffs. Belt and suspenders approach. I picked up a pair of Howard Leight electronic muffs about a year ago in Kittery ($40.00 or so). They worked well, but died last month. They still seem to work without the electronics but conventional muffs seem to work better.

Chris

I could see how the bone conduction could affect the hairs a little, but I doubt its worth worrying about.

The HL's are perfectly adequate for almost anything i've shot, except my damn AR and it's Miculek compensator.. still gives causes the ear on the shooting side to ring a little while. Other AR's i've shot by acquaintances at the range were perfectly fine with the HL's

If I'm shooting my AR extensively, I throw a cheap disposable ear plug in the shooting ear for it under the muffs.. that still leaves the other ear to hear conversation perfectly fine.

I'm still young and don't want to end up like some of the old bucks who can't hear a damn thing after a life of shooting [wink]

Last edited:
Field & Stream branded electronic muffs. narrow profile so one can shoot long guns , batteries on one side but microphones on both. Excellent stereo hearing. Auto shutoff after 4 hours.

I forget what I paid , but after my dog shredded my expensive tacticool Peltor's I tried these. All around better , and for some reason much cheaper. Every week I see another guy switching over to them.

I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I just got a pair of these for christmas today... can't wait to try them out tomorrow at the range. Just using them around the house the amplification is superb.

A second pair just came into the house today.. my Mom purchased a pair at KTP for my wife for christmas... She was very excited about this as she has used mine on a few occasions (while embarrassing a few of my buddies by comparing targets at the range [smile])

NRR=21. Fail.

I like these. Comfortable and won't crush your hat. I wear them hunting, competing, or at the range.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productNumber=157547
NRR=19. Fail.

I have a pair of these and they've been excellent: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...2?ie=UTF8&s=hi
NRR=22. Fail.

NOW we're talking. I had to hunt long and hard to find a set of electronic muffs that were rated over about 22 - finally found a set made (or at least marketed) by Browning with a 29 NRR. It looks like they don't sell that exact model any more; they seem to have the Midas which addresses what I consider the weakest point of my muffs - a single point of contact between headband and muff, allowing the darn things to ROTATE off my head if I'm leaning over a shooter while coaching. These do not have that failure. They're not, unfortunately, thin. They DO, however, have an NRR of 33.

Here's a set with an NRR of 25 that appear to be somewhat thinner.

Just to make sure my point is made: I do NOT like the Peltors because I don't think that they give enough hearing protection. I prefer muffs with the highest rating I can find. If I'm shooting indoors, or next to a loud centerfire rifle, I will put plugs under my muffs. I do NOT want to lose any more of my hearing than I already have!! G-d only gave us two ears... and once damaged, they don't heal. Take good care of the set you have; you won't get another.

I'm still young and don't want to end up like some of the old bucks who can't hear a damn thing after a life of shooting [wink]
No, you don't. Ask anyone who's met me how often I have to ask someone to repeat themselves. Ten years of riding a motorcycle without earplugs are what did me in, though.[crying]

May I strongly recommend, scooter58, that you simply use a good set of plugs instead? I know just how much a big set of muffs can get in your way while shooting a long gun, but having lost some hearing already, I'm very rabid on the subject of hearing protection. BTW, I, too, use the plugs that Caillean uses sometimes and find them to be great. Although more often I tend to use these, though. (in fact, I just placed an order for another box!)

Yeah. Exactly. [thinking]

Last edited:
Ross is right about the low protection of a lot of low-profile muffs. The best for the buck I was able to find are the Caldwell E-MAX Low Profile muffs, which clock in at 23db reduction. They have the advantage of being inexpensive and surprisingly comfortable (and effective). They're also active muffs, and although they cut out a little too readily, that's better than the opposite. I use them mostly for outdoors shooting. Indoors, I step it up to my non-low-profile muffs (not good for rifle 'cause they get in the way) or wear some light, comfortable plugs under the Caldwell muffs.

Your other possibility is to get a set of not-so-high NR low-profile muffs, and wear them and a mid-to-high NR set of plugs.

I used to double-plug w/ the 29NR mickeymouse ears and a set of 29NR earplugs that didn't make the best seal. Now I've taken to just wearing those 33NR plugs since they're better than the big muffs. I'll double over with the muffs if I don't need to hear/watch/talk with people, but I can't wear both and still hear shouted conversation. (I'd say that's pretty impressive NR!)

dwarven1: funny thing, those orange ones won't make a good seal in my ears. So try many different kinds/shapes of plugs, because fit is completely individual, and you'll only get full benefit if they fit you well.

dwarven1: funny thing, those orange ones won't make a good seal in my ears. So try many different kinds/shapes of plugs, because fit is completely individual, and you'll only get full benefit if they fit you well.
Very true - the yellow and orange ones the Howard Leight sells don't fit me at all, but the solid orange ones do.

Good advice about testing for fit.

What about the MSA Sordin's? The advertised NRR is low, but they also have a chart that shows that over 2000 HZ, the NRR goes 30+. I know it's the high frequencies that cause the most damage.

Also the least likely to be generated by small arms fire.

Peltor shotgunners are great. However, they don't give a lot of NR.

I'd suggest "doubling up". i.e. plugs and muffs.
You can make a set of all day comfortable custom plugs with an $11 kit from Brownells.

I use the plugs along with a set of amplified low profile muffs. Its great, I can hear people speak but when the guy with the Miculek brake on his AR starts shooting next to me, I'm well protected.

Don

Back
Top Bottom