• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lowell LTC?

SFC13557

NES Member
What's the latest on applying for a LTC in Lowell? I'm taking a former co-worker shooting Thursday and he's be applying as soon as he completes his course.

I Joined the forum after I came across it while researching as I live in Lowell and wanted my unrestricted LTC but had heard the stories of how difficult it is. I don't have any unusual influence or "friends" in the PD, nor would I consider my "need" anything extraordinary. I don't have a criminal record. I took the OnTarget course in Dracut and completed the required documentation. I received my unrestricted LTC 6 weeks from the when I submitted my paperwork / interviewed. Good luck if you have not already gone through the process.

I'm not in the business (or habit) of "pumping the tires" for the City of Lowell or the Firearms Licensing Officer in Lowell, but I had a recent, positive experience that may give others some hope in pursuing their LTC in Lowell. As Steve6387 reported, I have no unusual influence nor any extraordinary need and I have a clean criminal record. I took the Basic Handgun and the Concealed Carry I courses at Boston Firearms Training in Everett. My LTC was issued 60 days after my application was "accepted" and I received the LTC in the mail 15 days after that. I was issued an unrestricted LTC. There were just a couple of things in the process that I found odd. First, I did not receive a receipt for my application even though I delivered it in person. Secondly, Lowell referred me to a third-party for my fingerprints (??!!??). Apparently, the LPD doesn't take the fingerprints for LTC applications. Also, the 15 days from issuance of the LTC to "license in hand" was frustrating. But these were minor nuisances in the overall process and I cannot complain about how things went in a City that is considered "very red" for LTC'[s.

Back
Top Bottom