Lowell man arrested after street brawl

kingfisher

NES Member
"Street brawl" is in the title of the article, but it doesn't really sound like they fought back; however, it's clear that a man and his wife were pounded on by a huge guy.

LOWELL -- A 20-year-old Lowell man is being held without bail, accused of an brutal assault Sunday morning on Worthen Street that left one man hospitalized with a brain bleed and the man's wife requiring facial surgery.

<snip>

According to court-redacted documents, when Lowell police responded to a report of a fight.. they found the injured woman standing over her husband, who was unconscious and lying in the middle of the road. The wife's right eye was swollen shut and purple.

She told police that she was at the Worthern Tavern, but left after a group of people, including Vail, began causing problems. Once outside, she was approached by Vail, who began yelling at her. Vail allegedly punched her in the face, knocking her to the ground.

Another woman, who is listed as a witness, said she saw Vail yell obscenities at the victim before punching her in the face.

The injured woman told police she saw the same man who punched her kicking her husband as he lay unconscious on the ground.

Noda explained that the male victim is hospitalized with bleeding on the brain, a potentially life-threatening medical condition. The female victim is also hospitalized and needs eye surgery.

<snip>

Vail, who was listed at 6 feet 4 inches and 285 pounds as a football defensive tackle at Lowell High School, was once a highly rated high-school recruit.

This happened about a block and a half from Lowell Police Department headquarters.

Full article here: lowell-man-arrested-after-street-brawl

Last edited:
so glad I don't live there anymore. the neighborhood associations in Lowell are a joke, one day they're decrying the bars, the next day they are defending them. the people leave even more to be desired.

not true at all. he's got a great shot at "turning his life around" and joining the Lowell or Medford Police.

Sorry, that was too easy. May have been cheap.

So what we have here is a "Has been peaked in High School jock". Who has to continue to be a bully because he has never been or will be anything else.

Look on the brighter side. At least the husband and wife should now qualify for an unrestriced LTC in Lowell since they are now victims of a violent crime.

Wonder how the COP/LO will spin this, seeing as they are insistent that PD could be at any scene within 2 to 3 minutes, meaning folks don't need an LTC. Of course, I would guess in this case the injuries were all caused in far less than 2 minutes. Love the logic [angry]

A 20-year-old Lowell man is being held without bail,

She told police that she was at the Worthern Tavern, but left after a group of people, including Vail, began causing problems.

Vail, who was listed at 6 feet 4 inches and 285 pounds

What was a "20 year old" dong n the tavern in the first place? was this a restaurant style tavern? i'm sure he was in there for the food. perhaps they will be looking at why this guy was in there and possibly drinking int he first place....

Shit... I was there the night befor And after noon Sunday.

Me too, with a FS pistol and 34 rounds on board. It was Lowell Folk Festival weekend, and there was lots of alcohol being sold and consumed on many streets all around downtown Lowell.

As you can see, there was even a police officer working a detail where the altercation started...

... The Worthen House Cafe hosted live music in the parking lot across from the bar at 141 Worthen St., and that event was wrapping up for the night as the incident occurred.

Worthen owner Penny Hamourgas said there were no problems inside the bar or inside the barriers set up around the parking lot. Hamourgas said a police officer was working a detail at the gate in the barriers, and that the outside music wrapped up before 1 am....

Full article (different from the others I've posted): lowell-police-seek-witnesses-fight-that-led-injuries

Me too, with a FS pistol and 34 rounds on board. It was Lowell Folk Festival weekend, and there was lots of alcohol being sold and consumed on many streets all around downtown Lowell.

As you can see, there was even a police officer working a detail where the altercation started...

Full article (different from the others I've posted): lowell-police-seek-witnesses-fight-that-led-injuries

Did you notice the infidel mc that was hanging out in the parking lot that had the pizza oven on a trailer?

Look on the brighter side. At least the husband and wife should now qualify for an unrestriced LTC in Lowell since they are now victims of a violent crime.

Wonder how the COP/LO will spin this, seeing as they are insistent that PD could be at any scene within 2 to 3 minutes, meaning folks don't need an LTC. Of course, I would guess in this case the injuries were all caused in far less than 2 minutes. Love the logic [angry]

Very good point. Of course, in Lowell, someone has to survive the first attack to be able to exercise that “right.”

I hope this guy and his wife do both (survive, and get an unrestricted LTC).

Lowell has had some real beauties. Remember McMahon that owned Windows restaurant. He beat the pissed out of the kid covering my paper route for cutting through the parking lot. Officer zanoli was another dirt bag cop from lowell

I would agree, but he (the bully) has to scrape by until he is hired, with out any criminal convictions until after he gets on the job.

Do you remember Roger Lamothe? The Lt. that stuck a kid in trash barrel then pissed on him. He was a Sgt. when he did that.

Very good point. Of course, in Lowell, someone has to survive the first attack to be able to exercise that “right.”

I hope this guy and his wife do both (survive, and get an unrestricted LTC).

KF- thanks for sharing this...any updates? Haven't been able to find any to see the status of the husband. Prayers for him!

KF- thanks for sharing this...any updates? Haven't been able to find any to see the status of the husband. Prayers for him!

I have no more information on the victims. The Lowell Sun has edited victim information out of their web pages and removed the page I linked to in the OP. Since I didn't include their names in the part I quoted, most of that information is lost.

I suppose this is the reason:

Judge Daniel Crane impounded the victim's name and other information from the public at prosecutor Tommy Noda's request. While police and prosecutors are remaining mum about the details of the incident...

MyFoxBoston.com still has the female victim's name listed, but a Google search of that doesn't bring up much that I can see.

The Police Line Blog doesn't list this attack even though there was an off-duty Lowell Sun reporter on the scene who had started to film the verbal altercation, "but stopped filming when he was approached by one of the men who appeared to be involved."

Too bad the reporter didn't follow up when the altercation continued around the corner and turned physical. Here was the response from the chief (the same guy who restricts almost everyone's LTC):

Taylor said investigators are hoping to speak to anyone who witnessed the altercation, and that police would also like to review any video of the incident that witnesses may have shot.

He declined to release further details while the investigation remains ongoing.

Unfortunately, as in that other case we talked about where the woman in Lowell was shot 5 times from the street while lying in bed, it seems to be very difficult to learn the outcome of these cases because nobody in the news business updates the stories even after they are legally able to.

It was reported that Callen Valle's dangerousness hearing is scheduled for today, so maybe there will be something more in the news tomorrow.

Last edited:
I have no more information on the victims. The Lowell Sun has edited victim information out of their web pages and removed the page I linked to in the OP. Since I didn't include their names in the part I quoted, most of that information is lost.

I suppose this is the reason:

MyFoxBoston.com still has the female victim's name listed, but a Google search of that doesn't bring up much that I can see.

The Police Line Blog doesn't list this attack even though there was an off-duty Lowell Sun reporter on the scene who had started to film the verbal altercation, "but stopped filming when he was approached by one of the men who appeared to be involved."

Too bad the reporter didn't follow up when the altercation continued around the corner and turned physical. Here was the response from the chief (the same guy who restricts almost everyone's LTC):

Unfortunately, as in that other case we talked about where the woman in Lowell was shot 5 times from the street while lying in bed, it seems to be very difficult to learn the outcome of these cases because nobody in the news business updates the stories even after they are legally able to.

It was reported that Callen Valle's dangerousness hearing is scheduled for today, so maybe there will be something more in the news tomorrow.

Cause there is no shock value about telling how a case is wrapped up.

New news as of 15 minutes ago:

LOWELL - With one victim still in ICU days after an assault, a city resident accused in the attack is being allowed to live under house arrest.

At a hearing Thursday in Lowell District Court, Judge Daniel Crane found Callen Vail, 20, of 55 Martin St., Lowell, to be a danger to society in connection with the Sunday morning assault on Adam Faulkner, 26, and his 24-year-old wife, Danielle, both of Lowell...

The defense attorney's account of the incident is VERY interesting!

Full article here, including a photo and a crappy video: brawl-suspect-stay-under-house-arrest

Last edited:
Good example of how one can very reasonably fear for his/her life when up against and UNARMED person. Carry your guns folks.
Precisely, would have made a good case for the use of deadly force by the victims because of the disparity of force involved. The aggressor caused grave bodily harm.

Sent from my C6522N using Tapatalk

Recently a Haverhill kid just got up to 25 years for a similar attack on a guy, this kid is going to be doing some serious time.
I'll wager against.
Only cuz it's MA and anyone doing "serious time" for a beating probably is only doing so because he tuned up some state Reps nephew, brother in law, whatever.... 25 years? The scum that murdered BPD officer Rose (after already serving "sentence" for a previous murder) did maybe ten, if that... 25 for a beating?

Yeah, maybe if the "victim"s name was DeLeo, Linskey, or has an uncle in the State PD, etc ....Otherwise, I'll take $50 action from a bookie that this dude gets 6 months to serve, two and a half probation, victim-witness fund contribution, as set by a Dukakis or Deval-appointed ancient judge, etc etc.

"Massachusetts"

I'll wager against.
Only cuz it's MA and anyone doing "serious time" for a beating probably is only doing so because he tuned up some state Reps nephew, brother in law, whatever.... 25 years? The scum that murdered BPD officer Rose (after already serving "sentence" for a previous murder) did maybe ten, if that... 25 for a beating?

Yeah, maybe if the "victim"s name was DeLeo, Linskey, or has an uncle in the State PD, etc ....Otherwise, I'll take $50 action from a bookie that this dude gets 6 months to serve, two and a half probation, victim-witness fund contribution, as set by a Dukakis or Deval-appointed ancient judge, etc etc.

"Massachusetts"

Yep...this POS probably won't even do 6 months. maybe 6 months with 4 suspended and credit for the time he's being held now.

Back
Top Bottom