• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lowell Unrestricted LTC Class

For an unrestricted LTC in Lowell, they want the class taken at On Target in Dracut, otherwise they want multiple classes taken. On Target seems to be the only option for one-stop-ceritifcation. (Ofcourse that's another issue entirely.)

Anyways, On Target is booked through October, but they were kind enough to set up a private group class on a weekday afternoon next week for me.

There is still room for a few more people. If anyone has friends or family that are trying to get into a class and don't want to wait until October, please let me know.

There is no additional fee and NO PREPAYMENT IS REQUIRED.

Please DM me for the date and time if you, or anyone you know may be is interested!

Note:
The only thing I'm getting out of it is the peace of mind of having more than the agreed upon minimum number of people. In the event that someone backs out, I'll still feel obligated to pay for the min number of people, so there is a peace of mind element. Otherwise, I'm just a long time lurker trying to pay forward the little bit that I can.

Took the class there last year, it was a very good class and I had no problems in getting my LTC. I also became a member of On Target in Dracut . The staff is the best, no a**h***s.

More unlawful requirements, Comm2a you listening?
LTC is completely discretionary, since it is "may issue". Some chiefs demand letters from physicians! Other chiefs put "target only" or "work only" restrictions. Lack of uniformity allows chiefs to play such games to discourage applicants. Depends on whether the chief is pro-gun or anti-gun.

For an unrestricted LTC in Lowell, they want the class taken at On Target in Dracut, otherwise they want multiple classes taken. On Target seems to be the only option for one-stop-ceritifcation. (Ofcourse that's another issue entirely.)

Anyways, On Target is booked through October, but they were kind enough to set up a private group class on a weekday afternoon next week for me.

There is still room for a few more people. If anyone has friends or family that are trying to get into a class and don't want to wait until October, please let me know.

There is no additional fee and NO PREPAYMENT IS REQUIRED.

Please DM me for the date and time if you, or anyone you know may be is interested!

Note:
The only thing I'm getting out of it is the peace of mind of having more than the agreed upon minimum number of people. In the event that someone backs out, I'll still feel obligated to pay for the min number of people, so there is a peace of mind element. Otherwise, I'm just a long time lurker trying to pay forward the little bit that I can.
The LPD site mentions ONE class must be taken, in addition to the basic safety class (this add'l one itself is onerous enough), and lists about a half dozen places of which On Target is one. Where do you read that that multiple must be taken if not taking one at On Target? Thanks.

To wit:

Applications for an unrestricted LTC will only be granted in limited circumstances.
  1. Applicants for an unrestricted LTC must, in addition to completing the Massachusetts State Police-approved Firearms Safety Course/live fire training referenced 2, satisfactorily demonstrate that they have training or experience that satisfies the key components of courses focused on concealed carry of a firearm in public places. For example, such components include but are not limited to: de-escalation of violence techniques; the lawful use of deadly force; responsibilities associated with carrying a concealed weapon; and concealed carry techniques. Applicants may satisfy this condition by submitting evidence of such training or experience, or by successful completion of one of the following training courses:

I think that's the place I took a class about 10 years ago. I subsequently had to take another class because I waited too long to apply for my license.
From what I remember they had there s*** together if it's the same place. The instructors taught in a military manner.
I remember we were practicing mag changes with empty mags. Someone couldn't take the pressure and passed out. I felt bad for him but we got a 10-minute break,😉

The LPD site mentions ONE class must be taken, in addition to the basic safety class (this add'l one itself is onerous enough), and lists about a half dozen places of which On Target is one. Where do you read that that multiple must be taken if not taking one at On Target? Thanks.

To wit:

Applications for an unrestricted LTC will only be granted in limited circumstances.
  1. Applicants for an unrestricted LTC must, in addition to completing the Massachusetts State Police-approved Firearms Safety Course/live fire training referenced 2, satisfactorily demonstrate that they have training or experience that satisfies the key components of courses focused on concealed carry of a firearm in public places. For example, such components include but are not limited to: de-escalation of violence techniques; the lawful use of deadly force; responsibilities associated with carrying a concealed weapon; and concealed carry techniques. Applicants may satisfy this condition by submitting evidence of such training or experience, or by successful completion of one of the following training courses:

I believe what the OP is saying is that the Only Target class satisfies the requirements for both the basic safety class and the additional extra class, hence the statement of only needing to take 1 class

I think that's the place I took a class about 10 years ago. I subsequently had to take another class because I waited too long to apply for my license.
From what I remember they had there s*** together if it's the same place. The instructors taught in a military manner.
I remember we were practicing mag changes with empty mags. Someone couldn't take the pressure and passed out. I felt bad for him but we got a 10-minute break,😉

it's only been open for about 3yrs. before that Joe ran a gun store in a small space on the second floor in the adjacent plaza.

He's not tied in with Lowell city councilors or Lowell PD.

it's only been open for about 3yrs. before that Joe ran a gun store in a small space on the second floor in the adjacent plaza.

He's not tied in with Lowell city councilors or Lowell PD.
I guess I thought wrong must be another place up that way

Interesting they claim to be running the Basic Pistol program at 6 in the evening. That's an 8+ hour class. On top of that, they're additionally going to cover MA law, and their "safe carry" material?

So you'll be there until what, 04:00 the next day? Ouch.

Interesting they claim to be running the Basic Pistol program at 6 in the evening. That's an 8+ hour class. On top of that, they're additionally going to cover MA law, and their "safe carry" material?

HEY! Give'em a break! Chief isn't free till 6.

To wit:

They want the basic class taken for ANY license. Then they want one of the above classes taken for an Unrestricted in addition to the basic LTC class.

The exception is On Target's "curriculum". They call it the NRA Basic/Safe Carry Course or something like that.

I stupidly had assumed it was just a basic NRA clas that could be taken anywhere... but that's only half the the certification.

Actually, I've taken it at on Target and other places and I couldnt tell you what the difference was, or what constitutes the added "safe carry" portion, but Lowell says it's there....

Basically, I've got a stack of certificates that Lowell says arent the right combination. The cynic in me would say that they know On Target, Sig, etc., are all booked through October...

Isn't GOAL currently filing a lawsuit against Lowell?
Yes they are!!! I'm sure Lowell will magically issue the Plaintiff's license so the complaint is dropped.
That was a separate issue though. That's for a refusal to process his application. They claim that they are processing applications, they're just making the criteria incredibly difficult and adding requirements regularly.

Yeah. Youd think that right? I've taken the basic one and it's taken 4 hours, but somehow, On Target manages to cram BOTH classes into a few hour window.

I took it at On Target before and I think it lasted until 9 or so, so 3 hours. Luckily, this one is scheduled for the early afternoon and it's a small group so we should be done by 4:30PM.

I believe what the OP is saying is that the Only Target class satisfies the requirements for both the basic safety class and the additional extra class, hence the statement of only needing to take 1 class
Thank you. That's exactly what I was saying. I really don't think there is anything nefarious going on.

To wit:

Took the class there last year, it was a very good class and I had no problems in getting my LTC. I also became a member of On Target in Dracut . The staff is the best, no a**h***s.
Are you in Lowell and did you get an Unrestricted? I took the class at On Target a few years ago, when they first opened and had a great experience as well. Lowell is demanding a new certification within the past year. On Target could have easily told me to get in line and wait until October, but they're really going out of their way to help me out.

They want the basic class taken for ANY license. Then they want one of the above classes taken for an Unrestricted in addition to the basic LTC class.

The exception is On Target's "curriculum". They call it the NRA Basic/Safe Carry Course or something like that.

I stupidly had assumed it was just a basic NRA clas that could be taken anywhere... but that's only half the the certification.

Actually, I've taken it at on Target and other places and I couldnt tell you what the difference was, or what constitutes the added "safe carry" portion, but Lowell says it's there....

Basically, I've got a stack of certificates that Lowell says arent the right combination. The cynic in me would say that they know On Target, Sig, etc., are all booked through October...
I misread the first sentence in your post. This is the second class AND the Basic Safety class combined. That's what I meant by it being a two-in-one.

Back
Top Bottom