• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC ADVICE: BOSTON STUDENT RESIDENT IN GREEN TOWN

So I turn 21 in a few months and am preparing to get my LTC. My parents live in a green town and I am still a dependent of theirs. All of my bills, taxes, voting, address on my license, vehicle registration all take place in said green town. I also have an FID issued by the same green town. I am a college student in Boston and live in an off campus apartment. I do frequently travel to the green town but spend most of my time in Boston. I also have intentions of leaving Boston as soon as I graduate. I am looking to get my LTC in the green town as I am not a permenant resident of Boston although my name is on the lease. Is this the correct thing to do? Is it legal to store the firearm at my off campus apartment? Again I don’t consider myself a permanent Boston resident but i want to make sure i am doing everything legally.

thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
If you spend most of your time in your leased apartment in Boston then you live in Boston. Failure to update your driver's license is not a loophole.

A couple other things to think about, beyond where you apply for your LTC:
You say "off campus apartment"; building is not owned by the college, right?
Do your roommates know about your hobby? Is your roommate's girlfriend a regular on r/guncontrol/ ? Do you like to have parties in your appt? Think carefully...and regardless, lock stuff well.
Some student areas are known to have frequent break-ins. Not sure I'd bring my most valuable stuff there.

Working with several college students that are competitive shooters I have seen some crazy college policies about gun possession. One school I know has a policy that even if you are living off campus on private property you can't store a gun in your residence. I would not want to be the test case for how badly they want to enforce that. There is at least one Boston university with a police chief that would REALLY love to jam you up.

So I turn 21 in a few months and am preparing to get my LTC. My parents live in a green town and I am still a dependent of theirs. All of my bills, taxes, voting, address on my license, vehicle registration all take place in said green town. I also have an FID issued by the same green town. I am a college student in Boston and live in an off campus apartment. I do frequently travel to the green town but spend most of my time in Boston. I also have intentions of leaving Boston as soon as I graduate. I am looking to get my LTC in the green town as I am not a permenant resident of Boston although my name is on the lease. Is this the correct thing to do? Is it legal to store the firearm at my off campus apartment? Again I don’t consider myself a permanent Boston resident but i want to make sure i am doing everything legally.

thanks for the advice!
Go green, apply in the town of your permanent residence. If that’s green town, it’s green town. If it’s Boston, it’s Boston.
As others have said, don’t over think it.

Edit: also, be very careful if you’re not living alone in the apartment. Less people that know you have it there, the better. Make sure you lock it up in compliance with storage laws to cover your ass.

If you spend most of your time in your leased apartment in Boston then you live in Boston. Failure to update your driver's license is not a loophole.
I’m not looking for a loophole. I am under the impression that as long as I am still a student and under my parents insurance and financial assistance etc. that my address would be their address. But that could be incorrect.

Do your roommates know about your hobby? Is your roommate's girlfriend a regular on r/guncontrol/ ? Do you like to have parties in your appt? Think carefully...and regardless, lock stuff well.
Some student areas are known to have frequent break-ins. Not sure I'd bring my most valuable stuff there.

Working with several college students that are competitive shooters I have seen some crazy college policies about gun possession. One school I know has a policy that even if you are living off campus on private property you can't store a gun in your residence. I would not want to be the test case for how badly they want to enforce that. There is at least one Boston university with a police chief that would REALLY love to jam you up.
You raise a lot of good points that I will look into further. Thank you!

So follow up question, if all else was perfect, would it be an issue to have a license from the green town and store the firearm legally in the apartment in Boston?

Thanks for the responses, my follow up question is would it be an issue to have a license from green town and store the firearm in Boston. Of course following all storage laws.

Lol you have to be that guy, don't you? Lmao.

No gun person with a brain should ever claim Boston residency if they can possibly avoid it.
If he's asking the specific legal way to do it then that's the answer. I know there are exceptions but it sounds like he's got a year long apartment lease with his name on it. With that said, every sane person in this scenario is going to get their LTC at their parents' address but that's not what OP asked.

IANAL and this is not advice but:
I think you're clear for residency, at least from an income tax standpoint.
But, as others eluded to, I would have more issues with the "off campus" apartment. Need more info there.

IANAL and this is not advice but:
I think you're clear for residency, at least from an income tax standpoint.
But, as others eluded to, I would have more issues with the "off campus" apartment. Need more info there.
The apartment is completely unrelated to the college. Only One roommate, who I trust and is somewhat familiar with firearms. My name is on the lease as well as my parents because again, I’m still a dependent. Is there any other info that would help?

The apartment is completely unrelated to the college. Only One roommate, who I trust and is somewhat familiar with firearms. My name is on the lease as well as my parents because again, I’m still a dependent. Is there any other info that would help?
That was nice of you to co-sign a lease for your parents while they live in Boston. - Kidding of course -

If you live in an off campus apartment unaffiliated with the University, then this counts as living in Boston...if you have a lease and IDs showing you live there. However, in your case, all of your IDs are located in your green town. Therefore, you are not obligated to show you live in Boston when you apply for your LTC in your green town, submit the necessary information to substantiate your residency in the green town and obtain your LTC in the green town but follow Boston laws when you carry there...you’ll have to keep your AR pistol at your parents’ place! DO NOT change your IDs until after you get your unrestricted LTC in the green town.

I’ve gone through something similar when I was waiting to move in with my gf in a green town out of Boston...and it worked perfectly. It should work for you too. Then when we broke up and I moved back in with my folks...my mom found my rifle cleaning kit and the cat was out of the bag, so I told my parents I had multiple firearms and to my surprise they didn’t care, but that’s a story for a different time lol.

What was your residence before you started school? That remains your residence unless and until you change your residence, which, as a prior respondent correctly observed, happens when and only when you select a new abode with the intention to remain their for the indefinite future.

Note: there is no such thing as "permanent residence." You can only be a resident of one city or town.

Absolutely do not 'trust' your roommate. Cover your ass.

* READ THIS

Last edited:
So follow up question, if all else was perfect, would it be an issue to have a license from the green town and store the firearm legally in the apartment in Boston?

Another follow up question. Do you trust your roommate's girlfriend, that he hasn't met yet, to not be a closet anti-2A nut? See post 26 above.

Go green, apply in the town of your permanent residence. If that’s green town, it’s green town. If it’s Boston, it’s Boston.
As others have said, don’t over think it.

Edit: also, be very careful if you’re not living alone in the apartment. Less people that know you have it there, the better. Make sure you lock it up in compliance with storage laws to cover your ass.
Remembering my college days, partying at friends' off-campus apartments, I would NEVER leave guns/valuables in an off-campus apartment. A lot smarter to store your guns at your parents' home and retrieve them when you need them. NOTHING was secure during those parties, nothing!

Likely you have a 9 month lease just for the school year and may be in a different apartment the following school year. That doesn't make your student apartment very "permanent", I'd use your parents' address for everything and I doubt that any PD would have a problem with that.

Back
Top Bottom