LTC expires weeks before moving out of MA - renew or not renew?

sbi

My wife's LTC will expire a few weeks before we plan our move out of MA. If all goes well, we're talking about 3-4 weeks from exp. to moving.
She received the reminder card yesterday in the mail. Should she renew anyways? She does not want to spend $100.
Unless of course you can 'switch' a resident to a non-resident at no additional cost :D

IMO the only reason to renew is if there's a significant chance of move getting delayed. otherwise you're looking at a possible scenario where an LTC is issued while she isn't even living at that address. it would seem odd to provide the required letter of relocation to the FRB and PD while awaiting an LTC. none of this is legal advice.

save the C note, you'll need it to apply for a non resident if you plan on returning for a visit

I would still CYA by making the legally required notifications as prescribed by law one day before it expires

i would not provide a notification of address change before said change occurs. no need to overthink this.

Compared to the cost of a move, $100 seems like small potatoes. If you're getting the renewal reminder, you're talking like 6 months out, right? A lot can change in 6 months. If it were my wife (and I liked her) I would have her do the renewal so she could legally continue to carry on an unexpired LTC through the proposed move period. But that's a place I might be more risk averse than others.

I would pay for the renewal, just in case, then simply make the notifications when you actually move, whether the actual renewal LTC has arrived or not. This would preserve ALL of your possible options.

Depending on where you are moving to.. might it make getting a carry permit in the new state easier if the Ltc is current/ non expired?

IMO the only reason to renew is if there's a significant chance of move getting delayed. otherwise you're looking at a possible scenario where an LTC is issued while she isn't even living at that address. it would seem odd to provide the required letter of relocation to the FRB and PD while awaiting an LTC. none of this is legal advice.

i would not provide a notification of address change before said change occurs. no need to overthink this.

Do you need to provide notification if your license has expired?!

Compared to the cost of a move, $100 seems like small potatoes. If you're getting the renewal reminder, you're talking like 6 months out, right? A lot can change in 6 months. If it were my wife (and I liked her) I would have her do the renewal so she could legally continue to carry on an unexpired LTC through the proposed move period. But that's a place I might be more risk averse than others.

Correct, current expires begining of June, we're looking at end of June/begining of July move provided everything goes as planned. We all know that every plan is a base for changes...
Depending on where you are moving to.. might it make getting a carry permit in the new state easier if the Ltc is current/ non expired?

Going to SC and from what I read having a previous CCP outside SC doesn't give you any benefit, you still need to go through the full process in that state.

My wife doesn't even CC, the only reason I got her to get her license is in case I drop one day so that she'll be legally able to take care of the "property" ;)

Do you need to provide notification if your license has expired?!

Correct, current expires begining of June, we're looking at end of June/begining of July move provided everything goes as planned. We all know that every plan is a base for changes...

Going to SC and from what I read having a previous CCP outside SC doesn't give you any benefit, you still need to go through the full process in that state.

My wife doesn't even CC, the only reason I got her to get her license is in case I drop one day so that she'll be legally able to take care of the "property" ;)

good question to which i do not know the official answer. pinging @Rob Boudrie and @Len-2A Training for legit answers. my inclination would be to disclose my move especially since you (current LTC) have to disclose. however this is not legal advice. ;)

My wife's LTC will expire a few weeks before we plan our move out of MA. If all goes well, we're talking about 3-4 weeks from exp. to moving.
She received the reminder card yesterday in the mail. Should she renew anyways? She does not want to spend $100.
Unless of course you can 'switch' a resident to a non-resident at no additional cost :D

It's a difficult situation. The Obiden Administration had a plan to beat Covid and now it can't find 20 million doses. If the plan isn't for sure, then I would renew.

This is true. My son moved from AL to SC and still had to take the SC class, including live fire qualification.

I'm looking at property there and when I buy I'll be eligible for a non resident SC permit. Despite being a NRA Basic Pistol Instructor I'll have to do the same.

It's a difficult situation. The Obiden Administration had a plan to beat Covid and now it can't find 20 million doses. If the plan isn't for sure, then I would renew.

The plan is 10000% for sure, as well as the timeline, but we all know things can happen (medical, etc), so if it's not Jun/Jul it will happen Nov, or Dec, or Feb 2022 (you get the point). Bottom line is we are moving.

In that case it would be worth it to renew. You never know where the future is going. One year ago did anyone possibly think we would all be running around with masks on our faces and being shamed if you didn't.

Q1: Do you plan to move guns'n'ammo from MA to SC?
Q2: If so, are you hiding them in the moving truck,
or moving them in your own vehicle(s)?
So much this. The last thing you want or need is Mass giving you a kick in nuts going out the door. Can you imagine something incredibility stupid happens and because of some weird law or rule you become a prohibited person. This is Mass there is no such thing as reasonableness.

Long story short but I was almost out of this state in 30 days December 2020 and had plans in 100% motion to do so. Told our friends and family, lined up a moving company, purged all sorts of stuff that was not going with us, gave away tons of stuff we were not going to have room for or really need or we already had one in Maine and didn't need two, my wife was going to hand a two week notice to her employer. You know, some serious stuff to get done and lined up after 30 years living here.

Guess what... I'm still here and not going anywhere. :(

If my LTC was anywhere near renewal and I dropped the ball because of circumstances I couldn't control I would have been screwed. Good thing we didn't get rid of the furniture quickly. I was ready to live on lawn chairs until move out date.

So much this. The last thing you want or need is Mass giving you a kick in nuts going out the door. Can you imagine something incredibility stupid happens and because of some weird law or rule you become a prohibited person. This is Mass there is no such thing as reasonableness.
If he becomes prohibited, why wouldn't his wife also become prohibited?

OP ... you can wait to start the process and get that stupid receipt. So I still stand for starving the beast and not doing sh*t.

If May arrives and you find out there is a big delay, then go get the renewal. Your wife will get the receipt and be fine.

The only reason to stArt the process now is to have a license on hand before or at the time the other one expires. But based on what her needs are and you having an LTC, that is not critical.

The plan is 10000% for sure, as well as the timeline, but we all know things can happen (medical, etc), so if it's not Jun/Jul it will happen Nov, or Dec, or Feb 2022 (you get the point). Bottom line is we are moving.

If there's a chance it will stretch out to Feb. 2022, then I suggest she renews. Good luck!

Or what I'm thinking of:

There's a two-car convoy, with OP is driving the vehicle
loaded to the gills with guns'n'ammo secured for FOPA.
Then the no-longer-licensed wife's car breaks down and they swap,
with OP hanging back until the repairs are done.

And then the unlicensed wife gets traffic-stopped and they search the vehicle.

Suddenly she's someone transporting weapons across state lines maybe in a state that requires a license,
and the FOPA safe-harbor doesn't apply
because she's not legally licensed to possess them
in the state of origin.

But at least you saved $100 by skipping the LTC renewal application.
So you got that going for you.
Which is nice.

Notification on move is an in replicate requirement.

Issuing PD, resident destination PD and FRB. Certified only.
(If destination is still in MA.
Non-Mass destinations have no use for the letter).

And only a fool doesn't spring for Return Receipt Requested,
so that they can prove that they received the letter.

ETA: Toned down the "across state lines" trope.

Last edited:
Or what I'm thinking of:

There's a two-car convoy, with OP is driving the vehicle
loaded to the gills with guns'n'ammo secured for FOPA.
Then the no-longer-licensed wife's car breaks down and they swap,
with OP hanging back until the repairs are done.

And then the unlicensed wife gets traffic-stopped and they search the vehicle.

Suddenly she's someone transporting weapons across state lines,
and the FOPA safe-harbor doesn't apply
because she's not legally licensed to possess them
in the state of origin.

But at least you saved $100 by skipping the LTC renewal application.
So you got that going for you.
Which is nice.

(If destination is still in MA.
Non-Mass destinations have no use for the letter).

And only a fool doesn't spring for Return Receipt Requested,
so that they can prove that they received the letter.
Okay. That's 4x if in MA and moving out.

I thought you always had to send to. Issuer, and current. If issuer is different. 4x issuer, current, destination, FRB makes sense.

Also I specifically didn't get the RRR, because I knew it would do me no good if I had to argue over it in court, and could do more harm.

I thought you always had to send to. Issuer, and current. If issuer is different. 4x issuer, current, destination, FRB makes sense.
If I recall correctly,
the normal confusion is people who are moving to the third distinct town in 6 years,
think it's FRB, current and future, when it's really FRB, issuer and future.

There's also at least one
"I moved to NH and my new town's chief asked,
'WTF do you expect me to do with this? <Toss>'"
somewhere in the forums.

Also I specifically didn't get the RRR, because I knew it would do me no good if I had to argue over it in court, and could do more harm.
Which is swell until you hear your lawyer say,
"you sprang for return receipt, right?". [rofl]

My vote is to spend the $100 and renew. Depending on what town you are in, the renewal process itself can take three months. Also, although you have to go through another complete application process in SC, it doesn't hurt for both of you to be currently licensed and thus by implication previously background checked.

To me it's well worth spending the hundred dollars then to take a chance on getting sucked into a whirlpool of sh*t. With all the stupid things we spend money on I think it's well worth it. Your never out until your out.

This is true. My son moved from AL to SC and still had to take the SC class, including live fire qualification.

I'm looking at property there and when I buy I'll be eligible for a non resident SC permit. Despite being a NRA Basic Pistol Instructor I'll have to do the same.
I think being an NRA Instructor will get you out of the live fire part, but you will need to take the law part of a course. Check out handgunlaw.usa and click on SC or contact SLED directly and ask.

If I recall correctly,
the normal confusion is people who are moving to the third distinct town in 6 years,
think it's FRB, current and future, when it's really FRB, issuer and future.

There's also at least one
"I moved to NH and my new town's chief asked,
'WTF do you expect me to do with this? <Toss>'"
somewhere in the forums.

Which is swell until you hear your lawyer say,
"you sprang for return receipt, right?". [rofl]
That statement...there is an actual defense for. At that point in your jam, being able to reference other RRR cases and require postal service expert witnessed will only help you.

But again. yMmv. I left MA. Intrybto avoid driving through at all costs.

Guys down there. Get your stuff sort d please?

Back
Top Bottom