ltc "restrictions" letter?

I was told I need to write a letter to the head of the PD to get my target restrictions changed on my liscence. I am just wondering if its better to write the letter myself or have a lawyer do this from the get go?

When I wrote mine, I did it myself with a little help. I was told you can ask a lawyer, but sometimes that doesn't help anyway. I personally don't think it matters. if you write it yourself, maybe ask someone to review it like I did, just t make sure it sounds good.

When I wrote mine, I did it myself with a little help. I was told you can ask a lawyer, but sometimes that doesn't help anyway. I personally don't think it matters. if you write it yourself, maybe ask someone to review it like I did, just t make sure it sounds good.

And the result was?

I live in Worcester, what do you think the result was? If a lawyer wrote it, it would have been the same outcome, because I have only had my LTC for under a year. They told me to send it in again after 1 full year.

This thread isn't about me though. Go the lawyer route if you want to, it won't hurt, but I don't really think it helps either.

To the OP, how long have you had your LTC for, and what town are you in?

I have done this successfully without the help of a fancy lawyer. Keep it to three paragraphs. Don't bullshit. Spell "license" correctly.

It's all a dog and pony show. Do you really think they care about these friggen letters? Do you really think even half these departments read these things? I doubt it. It is just another way this state makes us jump, and we say, "how high sir?"

With my letter being handed in at 9 months, and being declined, and then being told to turn it in again after 1 full year. It shouldn't matter. I asked nicely, and they should've said yes. They make us play the games because they know we will.

What do you know about the licensing policy of the chief in your town? In my town it's just a matter of writing a letter asking to have the restrictions lifted. A friend of mine did that and he got a call a week later to come in to turn in his old license and get his new one. In this case, the new chief rescinded the "first time T&H only" policy of the guy he replaced, so it was easy. Your town could of course be completely different. Which is the problem with getting a LTC in MA and another reason (as if we need one) to support Comm2A.

make sure you include plenty of pretty pictures that he can color in. Some of these guys seem like they are mentally challenged.

Thanks guys,
I did up a letter myself and will have someone double check it. I will deliver it personally and start with that. I have had my ltc for 10+ yrs with no issues, got a speeding ticket once though. I never cared about the hunting target restrictions til I moved my shop to the worst part of town a few years ago

Have you had a restricted LTC for that long??? You must live in a very red town.

Most of the red towns in MA never lift restrictions. That's why they're red. The ones that waffle are usually yellows.

-Mike

i got an unrestricted license in a red town w/ a "required" letter

i was straight to the point no bs....the licensing LEO even said to me, "uhhh whats this letter for?" to which i responded "its one of the class a ALP requirements you have listed..."

Wow 10+ years? Last summer I spoke to a Medford detective on behalf of a friend of mine looking to get his restrictions lifted. He told me they always issue a restriction for the first cycle, and on renewal time, ask to get them lifted. If there were no instances in the mean time they would.

How long does it usually take to get a new license with the restrictions lifted once the Chief of Police authorizes it? Thanks

My town is absolutely red- not yellow. On the other hand, I do have friends and there are others that I know that have unrestricted.

"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" I'd write that. [smile] But on a serious note I'm in a free town who's police chief believes in the constitution of this country so we get normal licences (Class A Unrestricted) unless you are a criminal. Just state that you need a unrestricted licence to protect yourself ,family and/or business in public. Also you'd like the freedom to "CCW" for all lawful purposes.

Last edited:
My town is absolutely red- not yellow. On the other hand, I do have friends and there are others that I know that have unrestricted.

I just went through this process with success. I'd be happy to share some of the steps I took or review your letter. Please PM me if interested.

I do not recommend doing this, but the a$$ is me would want to send the CLEO the police blotters from around the state and say this is why I need to be able to protect myself. Oh and the fact that we need a police force would be another indication that the world is a dangerous place.

Sorry, \rant off

I'm not very eloquent with words, maybe someone will reword this for me.

I, Roux, promise that in the event that I ever have need to access to my firearm to protect myself or my family will sue both the town of XXXX and hold Chief XXXX personally responsible for restricting my rights,

Sincerely,

Roux

It all depends on the town. If the town is highly red, and you know that only a small percentage of applicants get unrestricted, remember, the letter is about you - and why you should be one of that small percent that gets the restrictions: none LTC. Reasons that are general in nature, that can apply to anyone writing a letter are less likely to distinguish you as someone for whom an exception to a general policy is warranted than are letters that offer general reasons that could apply do anyone holding an LTC in your town.

I, Roux, promise that in the event that I ever have need to access to my firearm to protect myself or my family will sue both the town of XXXX and hold Chief XXXX personally responsible for restricting my rights,

The issuing authority will NOT be impressed by a power play like this. The department generally has sovereign immunity from this sort of thing, and the issuing authority will have legal counsel provided at taxpayer expense. All you're doing with a threat like this is making yourself look like a jerk, and demonstrating a tremendous lack of understanding of how things really work - neither of which will impress the decision maker. Also, under current law, you do not have a "right" to "Restrictions: none" (OK, we're working on that one) and telling the issuing authority "you do not have the power" is like throwing down the glove and asking him/her to prove (e)he does. Not a wise move.

In short, keep it respectful, and save the editorializing about rights to the opinion pages and letters to your representatives.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom