• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC returned

Curious as to how this went down in court. Seems to demolish the ol' NES tale that the chief can do whatever he wants with your LTC and there's nothing you can do.

Curious as to how this went down in court. Seems to demolish the ol' NES tale that the chief can do whatever he wants with your LTC and there's nothing you can do.

Essentially the Chief revoked because he was told by another agency that the client was suspected of being involved in criminal activity but it was never charged. In reality they wanted the client to assist with an investigation and he refused so they went after his LTC. Even if he were charged and convicted it would not be a disqualifying offense, and there would be no risk to public safety to justify revocation for suitability.

Last edited:

If you have enough funds, you hire a good attorney.
Good attorneys sometimes get good results.

Isn't that like extortion?

Essentially the Chief revoked because he was told by another agency that the client was suspected of being involved in criminal activity but it was never charged. In reality they wanted the client to assist with an investigation and he refused so they went after his LTC. Even if he were charged and convicted it would not be disqualifying offense, and there would be no risk to public safety to justify revocation for suitability.

Isn't that like extortion?
I carry the most cheap-ass JHP I could find on the shelf on the day that I bought our 1911.

(How cheap is it? It's so cheap you can run your finger over the tip of the bullet
without hurting yourself. Not every NESer can make that claim).

Is that prudent?
71l9q06n9-L._SX425_.jpg

Essentially the Chief revoked because he was told by another agency that the client was suspected of being involved in criminal activity but it was never charged. In reality they wanted the client to assist with an investigation and he refused so they went after his LTC. Even if he were charged and convicted it would not be disqualifying offense, and there would be no risk to public safety to justify revocation for suitability.

So the butt hurt babies didn't get their way and tried to bully someone? I love seeing people try to defend the popo and claim they aren't a bunch of total azzholes......

and if you don't ?

That's rhetorical, right? 'cause sometimes you get fcked.

Sometimes you get fcked even with good legal representation.

My CT permit was revoked after I wrecked my bike, before I was arrested and before any court proceedings.
I was not convicted of anything in any subsequent court hearings; I had good legal representation.

I lost two appeals before the Firearms Permit Board with what I felt was adequate legal representation.
I felt that the Board was unreasonable; my lawyer felt that they violated state law.
They felt that I was unsuitable to carry a firearm.

I ran out of money and energy.
If I remember the sequence correctly, I'd pretty much finished rebuilding my bike by that time, but I was still in physical therapy for damage to my body from the wreck; and I was just plain exhausted. I'd done a frame up re-build, as in strip it to the frame, then tear all the components apart and fix everything that was broken or marginal. Not cheap, but good therapy.

Anyhow - 8 years afterwards I re-applied, filling out the paperwork very carefully.
I was re-issued a CT resident permit, which is now a non-resident permit.

Wow, that is some shady BS.

Nice work Neil.

What was the grounds for revocation? Certainly it wasn't solely for wrecking your bike, was it?

Nope. I was carrying a firearm with a permit. Blood taken via a warrant, while I was still unconscious indicated that I was intoxicated. Being intoxicated meant that my permit was null and void at the time. Original charges included carrying without a valid permit. Prosecutor was going for jail time. I was looking at very serious physical damage to myself and a totaled motorcycle and I figured I had enough problems without going to jail. I hired the best legal talent I could find. He was worth every dollar.

Your permit is perfectly valid if you are intoxicated. You are just in violation of a different law.

Chap943 sec53-206d

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2001/pub/Chap943.htm#sec53-206d.htm

Its a class A misdemeanor. Up to a year in jail.

Smart move hiring a good lawyer.

A friend was in a similar situation except it was a civil matter. He received a demand letter from an ex-employer for about $300,000. He hired a $500/hr guy from Boston who was known to be a ruthless litigator. The attorney sent the standard representation letter (I'm joe schmo, represtnting joe bagadonutz, please send all future correspondence to me, etc) to the ex-employer.

They never heard from the employer again. I'm convinced that the employer saw the name of the lawyer and decided to cut their losses.

Being intoxicated meant that my permit was null and void at the time.
Bogus logic.

If this logic held, someone convicted of OUI would also be convicted of driving without a license.

Bogus logic.

If this logic held, someone convicted of OUI would also be convicted of driving without a license.

DCMDON has explained it more correctly. This was a number of years ago, I'm not an attorney, and my injuries included a traumatic brain injury, (insert all the jokes you'd like).

I engaged legal representation when I realized that they intended to put me in jail. The weapons charge was one of several, the others related to operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated, and wrecking it.

Somerville Court overturned Somerville Police on a revocation for suitability concerns. Happy client. In truth it never should have been revoked in the first place.

Somerville sucks I had my LTC pulled when I lived there to.

I was carrying when I went to K-Mart at the Assembly Square Mall I went there to by some ammo because I was going to the range at the time.

I was with a State trooper at the time but he never identified himself as a State trooper so we had 2 Somerville police stop us and harasses because some one in K-mart saw us carrying.

So they asked the 2 of us if we had guns we said yes then they asked the 2 of us if we had LTC and we showed the Somerville police our LTC my Trooper friend had no issues at all they gave him back his LTC and didn't blink and eye at him he was from Weymouth with a LTC from Weymouth.

Not for me I lived in Somerville and my issuing officer Captain Caligari or Culligurie put a big red restricted stamp across the front of the LTC so the officer said i cant carry and took my gun and my LTC and told me to go see the captain on Monday.

I told him I was well with in my rights to carry because there is no such thing as a restricted LTC in Massachusetts at time 1996 there wasn't any restrictions Boston started the BS and all the liberal cities followed suit Cambridge Arlington Somerville.

The funniest thing I was carrying 2 guns on me a 22 target on my right side and a Beretta 92 on my left side I am a lefty the dumb ads cop only took my gun from my right side figured I was a right handed person and he got the gun I told my trooper friend as we left the mall what a dumb ass the cop was and he laughed his ass off said it serves them right taking your license in your gun for no reason.

So I went to see the captain and he said i can't carry unless I am at work other wise its a hunting and target LTC only and that he was suspending my LTC so I left the police department with no LTC

I went home and started looking up Massachusetts laws on LTC and the captain had to give me a written reason why he was suspending my LTC within 45 days so I found a lawyers name and number in a phone book had my cousin type me up a letter using the lawyer's name on a letter like it was his letterhead and telling the captain that he had 45 days to give my client a written reason why he was spending his LTC or we going to take him to court and sue him.

After reading the letter the DICK told me to go down stairs and get my LTC and gun.

All it took was a official looking letter from a lawyer I got from the yellow pages and a threat to sue and he gave me back my shit.

Last edited:
I ... started looking up Massachusetts laws on LTC and the captain had to give me a written reason why he was suspending my LTC within 45 days ...

All it took was a official looking letter from a lawyer and a threat to sue and he gave me back my shit.
That's One Weak Captain -
couldn't be bothered to scrawl "because" in crayon on a cocktail napkin.

I'd have waited 45 days then told him
"now youse have to restore my LTC".
(Props to Chazz).

That's One Weak Captain -
couldn't be bothered to scrawl "because" in crayon on a cocktail napkin.

I'd have waited 45 days then told him
"now youse have to restore my LTC".
(Props to Chazz).

I waited till the 40th day to give him my fake letter my cousin typed up for me.

If I ever typed up that letter the captain would have known I did it.

Good thing my cousin was in College at the time and knew how to write it up.

Back
Top Bottom