• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC status after moving out of state

WRONG! Glidden for more years than I can count has counseled police chiefs/LOs to issue part-time resident resident LTCs as allowed by law. Some chiefs won't but there is nothing legally to prevent a chief from doing this. As long as a person maintains a residence in MA (lease or deed), they are legally entitled to a resident LTC. Due to "chief's discretion", the chief can decide to go along or not and the courts will back him either way.
That is interesting. So the chiefs or departments who "choose" not to and are giving that information out are just ignoring the law? I would love to see a copy of the law. Hopefully my meeting this afternoon will provide that so I can pass that along whenever that question gets asked. Thanks!

No such thing as it being illegal to carry in MA with A resident LTC when you’re not a resident of MA?

I don’t know but I suspect that’d be a big no.

I'm not a resident of Pennsylvania, yet I have EXACTLY the same LTC/CCW license from PA that they issue to residents.

Stop thinking that gun laws make sense. They don't. Actually you could strike the word "gun" from that comment and it would still be generally true.

You said there isn’t a law that addresses it. There is a lack of law. Therefore, if you’re arrested and brought before a judge I don’t see how my hypothetical wouldn’t be accurate.

What's the charge? You could as easily and as properly be prosecuted for wearing white pants after labor day. If there is no law to break there can be no charges and if there are charges anyway, even a green public defender should be able to get them dropped.

I moved back to NH from MA over 3 years ago, and I notified all parties of my change of address as required by law.

During the past 3 years, I've checked my LTC status using the "Generate Firearms License Validation" page on the MA eFA-10 website several times, and it remained listed as "Active" right up until my expiration date, which was just recently. When I check it now (after the normal expiration date of the LTC issued in 2014), I now get a message that says, "The system was unable to process the Firearms License Validation request. Please contact your local licensing authority for additional information."

I moved back to NH from MA over 3 years ago, and I notified all parties of my change of address as required by law.

During the past 3 years, I've checked my LTC status using the "Generate Firearms License Validation" page on the MA eFA-10 website several times, and it remained listed as "Active" right up until my expiration date, which was just recently. When I check it now (after the normal expiration date of the LTC issued in 2014), I now get a message that says, "The system was unable to process the Firearms License Validation request. Please contact your local licensing authority for additional information."

What address did the validation show? Your MA or new, NH address?

Very good question.

The LTC validation showed my new New Hampshire address, so that's also proof that they received my Change of Address notification and did not expire the license!

I took a photo of the web page showing that my LTC was still "Active" so that I could show it to a MA police officer if I ever ran into trouble, but they may need to look it up in their system anyway.

Last edited:
Failure to file a change of address can be grounds for revoking an LTC, but does not render the LTC void until such revocation is done - and even then it is the only reason for revocation that does not remove the "expired LTC means civil charge of expired LTC, not criminal charge".

As to proof by "I asked a cop....". I'd bet at least 80% of cops would tell you an LTC holder with an unloaded gun locked in the trunk of their can on school grounds is violating 269-10j.

You said there isn’t a law that addresses it. There is a lack of law. Therefore, if you’re arrested and brought before a judge I don’t see how my hypothetical wouldn’t be accurate.
A hypothetical that has @drgrant running his mouth,
in court,
to a judge,
under oath,
ranks right up there with "space aliens did it" (for any value of "it").

MSP Lt. Al Zani was in charge of licensing dealers/instructors/etc. for the state for a number of years. I spoke to him ... and he lamented that PDs are lazy and not requesting FRB to administratively expire LTCs due to out of state move notifications. He told me that PDs are supposed to request this of FRB once they are notified, however many don't bother to do so, thus they show as active in the system.
Yet another possibility
(that virtually no one inside Mass government
would want to admit to anyone),
is that at least some chiefs in bright green towns
are deliberately throwing ex-pats a bone
by letting the licenses expire chronologically.

Not every green town.
But a few sympathetic chiefs might appreciate that Less is More.

Also, chiefs who don't expire the license for a move out of state
retain the Sword of Damocles over the head of the ex-pat:
since the LTC's ostensibly still in force,
they can still cancel it Because Unsuitable
if the former resident causes a ruckus while back in town for a visit.

They can't do that to a non-res license with the mere flick of a cuticle.

Yet another possibility
(that virtually no one inside Mass government
would want to admit to anyone),
is that at least some chiefs in bright green towns
are deliberately throwing ex-pats a bone
by letting the licenses expire chronologically.

That's certainly possible, but for what it's worth, my LTC that wasn't expired when I moved out of state was from a notorious dark red city.

There is also the scenario of the out of state resident who procures a non-resident LTC (in the old days when they were $5, mail order, no in person visit); moves to MA with guns and then obtains a regular LTC from the local PD in the town they moved to. Not that I know anyone who did that back in 1987 or anything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom