Lucy wants to ban them all.

I guess she missed the SCOTUS ruling on " in common use"

Unfortunately, as @VTski4x4 stated, I believe we are at a point in this country where SCOTUS rulings will be ignored more and more.

The court has no or little power in this country any longer.
If that was true abortion as a right would still be true as would proof of need to possess firearms.

The court moves slowly in good times - when the legislature and executives are in opposition they need to take even slower, more methodical steps (which scotus is actually doing)

Shoehorning in "recoil" would have broken their cutest "GOSAFE" backronym.
They didn't bother and just define blow back and recoil operations as being gas operated (which is true since all of the actions are driven by the expansion of the gas generated by the burning powder)

If that was true abortion as a right would still be true as would proof of need to possess firearms.

The court moves slowly in good times - when the legislature and executives are in opposition they need to take even slower, more methodical steps (which scotus is actually doing)
still little power, as for the abortion decision it was a court cop-out and turned this issue over to the states to do what they want. The court did not ban abortion like the pro-abortionests would like you to beleave. The court left it up to the states.

still little power, as for the abortion decision it was a court cop-out and turned this issue over to the states to do what they want. The court did not ban abortion like the pro-abortionests would like you to beleave. The court left it up to the states.
Please tell me how this is a cop out?
They reversed a horribly bad decision regardless of which side of the debate you are on and returned the issue to the states where it belonged in the first place.

While I believe life starts at conception, I also believe in the rule of law. The constitution is very clear that things not reserved to the federal government by the constitution are reserved to the states and the people. So since the constitution ensures a right to life but doesn't define its beginning, the definition of the beginning is a states matter. So the legality of abortion is firmly a states matter unless congress sets a stricter timeline for the beginning of life.

OK OK my intention was not to get you fired up. Sorry about my opinion I will just keep my comment to myself so as not to create a problem with you. I don't know you and really do not want to cause a bad encounter with you.

OK OK my intention was not to get you fired up. Sorry about my opinion I will just keep my comment to myself so as not to create a problem with you. I don't know you and really do not want to cause a bad encounter with you.
Not a bad encounter - sorry if I made it seem that way.

You stated that the court has little power and I responded with two contemporary cases where it caused a massive upheaval in jurisprudence.

This supreme court seems to have much less power than older courts since they try not to legislate from the bench. However, they have been massively influential while acting within their constitutional restrictions.
The whole reason behind the overturning of Roe was that the court overstepped its authority in that case by ruling the way they did.

Most don't understand that the lengths of each term defined in the constitution was designed to be inversely proportional to their power to make changes quickly.
The house controls the purse so gets the shortest term
President has executive orders and the bully pulpit so four
The senate reacts to house spending and to the president's appointments but they were stripped of their representation of actual states - and they get six years
Justices can only respond to actual cases and controversy so they have no real ability to drive change but must be immune in order to be outside the politics (never happens) so are appointed for life.

I would love for SCOTUS to be able to reach out and smack down bad bills before congress wastes a day on them but that's not how it works.

Back
Top Bottom