blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone had one?
What's the process?
Do they knock you out?
What's the recovery like?

PET/CT shows a nodule in my left lung. Pulmonologist wants to do a biopsy to see what it is.

Bob P

NES Member
Rating - 96.8%
30   1   0
Wife had one. Needle biopsy. She was awake for it. Uncomfortable. Was ok next day.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
yeah, had one, but years ago. in a nut shell...i sat on the edge of my hospital bed, doc numbed the area with a local, they jabbed a tiny nipper in through the back and chewed off a piece of lung. don't know if it's different now. what recovery? i was laying back watching tv 10 minutes later. a biopsy is not surgery unless as i said things have changed. there may be different types of biopsy. and if you're wondering, it was painless...until the nipper lopped off a piece of lung. ouch!! really no biggie. they were looking for cancer in my case and i ended up having an exploratory surgery later.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, i think i mentioned that.
So LOTSA years ago. [grin]

I had an emergency appendectomy in 2002. That's "ancient history" by the standards of a lot of the kids here. I was 32. (It was "scan the scan" - the exact words of the surgeon - then, and that meant CT with contrast.)

Live-a-Little

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sorry to hear that you need a biopsy, but in reality they are no big deal. I am actually trying to get my father to go and get one done right now. It’s better to get it done and find something sooner or have it be nothing aNd get the relief from that. For the most part biopsy’s nowadays are fairly noninvasive.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just asked my wife what she remembered about hers (2017)..... She said it wasn't that big of a deal.....Local anesthesia, no GA. Losing 2/3 of her left lung two weeks later was painful. 2 years later, she remains cancer-free, runs, lifts weights like a dude, and at 52, has a physique pretty close to Halle Berry's.... I shit you not.

Statistically, most lung nodules are not malignant, but if yours is, early diagnosis can tremendously change outcomes.... So get that biopsy.

I really, really wish you the best, but if you get bad news and want to talk about what comes next, please feel free to PM me.

Evadd

NES Member
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I think it mainly depends on where it is. If it's near the surface, they can go in fairly non-invasively as others have mentioned. If it's deep, they may need to do a thoracoscopic approach. Least likely is they would have to do an open biopsy. You'd likely be under general anesthesia for the latter two options because they would have to drop a lung.

Either way, best of luck. Hoping it's nothing.

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah, had one, but years ago. in a nut shell...i sat on the edge of my hospital bed, doc numbed the area with a local, they jabbed a tiny nipper in through the back and chewed off a piece of lung. don't know if it's different now. what recovery? i was laying back watching tv 10 minutes later. a biopsy is not surgery unless as i said things have changed. there may be different types of biopsy. and if you're wondering, it was painless...until the nipper lopped off a piece of lung. ouch!! really no biggie. they were looking for cancer in my case and i ended up having an exploratory surgery later.
Well, this one...they have to go into my lung and biopsy a nodule/cyst.

Thanks!

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just asked my wife what she remembered about hers (2017)..... She said it wasn't that big of a deal.....Local anesthesia, no GA. Losing 2/3 of her left lung two weeks later was painful. 2 years later, she remains cancer-free, runs, lifts weights like a dude, and at 52, has a physique pretty close to Halle Berry's.... I shit you not.

Statistically, most lung nodules are not malignant, but if yours is, early diagnosis can tremendously change outcomes.... So get that biopsy.

I really, really wish you the best, but if you get bad news and want to talk about what comes next, please feel free to PM me.
[pics]

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Well, this one...they have to go into my lung and biopsy a nodule/cyst.

Thanks!
i'm gonna guess since they are looking for a specific location your biopsy may be more involved. like maybe using some xray for guidence? i dunno really how they would do that.

mr. blindfire, i have nodules showing on my lung also they are watching. while i've had no invasive procedure to date. i do a cat scan once a year and an x-ray series every 6 months. the way it was explained to me was the pulmonary doc is watching/looking to see if there are any changes and movement of location of the nodules. to date nothing and i'm 3 1/2 years in. my next visit and i may be done with the xrays and yearly ct.

wishing you the best, i'm sure you'll be good to go soon. my doc said nodules are fairly common but it's better to err on the side of caution.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had a lung scare back in the 70s. I went in for a flight physical and they saw something on the chest xray. I got a call from the flight surgeon and I went back 2 days later for another xray. That time it was clean but in the intervening 48 hours between xrays, I quit smoking cold turkey and haven't had a cigarette since. I had several more xrays over the next year and was clean. The flight surgeon said that it may have been a flaw on the film or a "shadow". Whatever it was, it was enough to scare that terrible habit out of me.

Best of luck to you Blindfire

Last edited:

Win

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a CT scan last March which showed a 5mm lung nodule. That's on the line for repeating the scan a year later to check if the nodule is growing. So I have that to look forward to [laugh] . Nodules less than 5mm are usually dismissed as non-cancerous. My understanding of the biopsies was mentioned earlier - needle biopsy. I'm certain more anxiety provoking than painful. As Irish65 points out- early detection is key and prognoses for lung cancer that is caught early is excellent! I'm not a doctor - just done some research after being told I was going to have to come back in a year for a follow up.

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i'm gonna guess since they are looking for a specific location your biopsy may be more involved. like maybe using some xray for guidence? i dunno really how they would do that.

mr. blindfire, i have nodules showing on my lung also they are watching. while i've had no invasive procedure to date. i do a cat scan once a year and an x-ray series every 6 months. the way it was explained to me was the pulmonary doc is watching/looking to see if there are any changes and movement of location of the nodules. to date nothing and i'm 3 1/2 years in. my next visit and i may be done with the xrays and yearly ct.

wishing you the best, i'm sure you'll be good to go soon. my doc said nodules are fairly common but it's better to err on the side of caution.
That would be my preferred method to be honest. I don't relish the idea of them puncturing my lung to get the sample. I've had to postpone the biopsy as I'm going to India for work next month and then to San Diego in January (also for work).

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Will update when I know more.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So LOTSA years ago. [grin]

I had an emergency appendectomy in 2002. That's "ancient history" by the standards of a lot of the kids here. I was 32. (It was "scan the scan" - the exact words of the surgeon - then, and that meant CT with contrast.)
Critter, we're about the same age, and ditto emergency appendectomy, but, in 1994 at age 22-1/2. I don't remember Shiite about any mention of "scanning the scans", but I had assloads of tests and (maybe?) scans for 3 days, and they (hospital staff) kept telling me nothing showed up (and that they thought I had a stomach bug). It was 2-3 days of this! Finally as I lay there dying, the surgeon comes in, sees me near death, crams his hand up my rear entrance and said, "Yup, it's your appendix and it's coming out NOW"......

(That's a real "analog" version of scanning scans! [rofl])

I have the traditional gash of a scar on my beltline which I guess is now the old school way of doing it. What I do remember is in the recovery room, the surgeon had my appendix in a pyrex jar and showed it to me, while I was still quite groggy from the anesthetic. He told me that if they didn't take it out when they took it out, I would have been "Harry Houdini"....dead within a couple of hours, from the infection. I then spent two weeks in the hospital being treated for what bagged Houdini......the Peritonitis.

OP: I've no experience with lung biopsies. Best wishes.

Top Bottom