• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M-40 Sniper in Iraq

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty a good series, I watched one episode and ended up watching the whole season on demand.

It's a true story, though, so technically your OP was still technically correct [wink].

Speaking of movies. Check out "Hurt Locker" that was a great flick relative to this topic.

That scene is well done. On the DVD you can actually see the vapor trail of the round.

Well done, but hardly perfect. [smile]

1. When he ranged him he said, niner-seven-niner = 979 yards? I assume? At that distance you're not taking head shots, because the target would be very small

2. That scope had 4 mil-dots, but standard USMC mil-dot reticle has 5 mil-dots.

3. He said, "wind, moving from west to east, quarter value" - west to east is full value, and also the speed is important, duh.

That's why I can't watch those shows.......[sad]

1. When he ranged him he said, niner-seven-niner = 979 yards? I assume? At that distance you're not taking head shots, because the target would be very small

3. He said, "wind, moving from west to east, quarter value" - west to east is full value, and also the speed is important, duh.
+1 [thinking]

It's more than a little strange because the spotter in that scene was played by the real Sgt. Rodolfo 'Rudy' Reyes.

1. You are if the target has his finger on an RPG launcher. Nothing says "lights out" like a head shot. And yeah - that would be 979 yards (which for those guys is well within "safe" distance for a head shot.)

2. Meh. Artistic license. [rolleyes]

3. West to East is not necessarily full value. It's all about the angle of the wind - compass direction is irrelevant. If the wind is blowing at a 90 degree angle it's full value, if it's blowing at a 0 degree angle it's no value. For example, if your target is due West (or due East) then West to East wind would be no value, but if it's due North or South it would be full value. (Speed is important though.)

EDIT: Much better explanation here: http://www.rifleshootermag.com/shooting_tips/determing_wind_values/

Last edited:
1. You are if the target has his finger on an RPG launcher. Nothing says "lights out" like a head shot. And yeah - that would be 979 yards (which for those guys is well within "safe" distance for a head shot.)

Its a movie. A cold bore shot at just under 1k is not the norm.

Its a movie. A cold bore shot at just under 1k is not the norm.

IMHO we should give Rudy Reyes some artistic license on this one. Not very many of us can say we've made the shots that he's made. I sure can't.

All I am saying is that hitting a 6" target with a weapon that shoots 5" groups at that distance is far from the norm.

All I am saying is that hitting a 6" target with a weapon that shoots 5" groups at that distance is far from the norm.

And all I'm saying is that Reyes is a Marine Recon combat vet and if he wants to "embellish" a bit I say let him.

And all I'm saying is that Reyes is a Marine Recon combat vet and if he wants to "embellish" a bit I say let him.

Especially since he was playing himself in a movie* about what he and the rest of the unit actually did in country. If he wants to make the fish a little bigger than it was, I say go for it [grin].

*based on a book, based on a magazine article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom