• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M-40 Sniper in Iraq

Status
Not open for further replies.
While on the Generation Kill topic....

Nathaniel Fick (who the platoon commander in Generation Kill was based on) wrote a book called "One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer." Good read.

http://www.amazon.com/One-Bullet-Aw...6133/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1256951706&sr=8-1

"I left the Corps because I had become a reluctant warrior. Many Marines reminded me of gladiators. They had that mysterious quality that allows some men to strap on greaves and a breastplate and wade into the gore. I respected, admired and emulated them, but I could never be like them. I could kill when killing was called for, and I got hooked on the rush of combat as much as any man did. But I couldn't make the conscious choice to put myself in that position again and again throughout my professional life. Great Marine commanders, like all great warriors, are able to kill that which they love most-their men. It's a fundamental law of warfare. Twice I had cheated it. I couldn't tempt fate again." - Nathaniel Fick

Last edited:
I suspect that this is like many stories I witnessed during my federal service.

The story goes that the chick was 125 pounds soaking wet and the hottest one in the bar. The truth was that she was really fat and ugly and the guy should have gotten a soldiers medal for meritorious and exemplary execution of a sympathy ****.

B

3. West to East is not necessarily full value.

West to east is always full value, always. But as it relates to my firing position, or the weapons direction of fire. A spotter, or a shooter for that matter -- will never call wind based on a compass position, he'll only call it based on the direction he's pointing.

Same thing as when you're on a range, you call wind based on the direction of fire not the map or compass position. Think about it....[wink]

Well done, but hardly perfect. [smile]

1. When he ranged him he said, niner-seven-niner = 979 yards? I assume? At that distance you're not taking head shots, because the target would be very small

give the guy a break, he probably just likes saying 'niner' [grin]

Rather than bicker about the wind value...

Generation Kill, based on the book of the same name. More a mini-series than a movie, really. Think "Band of Brothers" but in Iraq.

Click on the link, look at the top right and click on "Troop Drive".

Select an item to have HBO donate it to the troops. I just did. There is no charge, just an 'Opt - in" to receive e-mail from HBO I didn't opt in.
In the pop-up to submit your info there is a drop down menu for the items still available which are fewer than indicated so hopefully they've met their goals for donations.

I was young and far from home once when I served.
usa2.gif

Please take a moment and help in this cause. Its a small action but your efforts will go a long way to helping our guys cope with things in the sandbox.

West to east is always full value, always. But as it relates to my firing position, or the weapons direction of fire. A spotter, or a shooter for that matter -- will never call wind based on a compass position, he'll only call it based on the direction he's pointing.

Same thing as when you're on a range, you call wind based on the direction of fire not the map or compass position. Think about it....[wink]

Correct, the right call should sound something like:

Wind, left, half value, 5 knots.

Or better yet:

Wind, 2 minutes/mils left.

The second call eliminates all the ambiguity and mental math on the shooter's part. The spotter has recognized the wind speed, value, and direction, and applied its effect to bullet trajectory at the estimated distance to target. The end result is a sight correction (or reticle offset) to be applied by the shooter.

Competitive shooters use minutes (of angle). Military marksmen usually use mils (miliradians) because that is what their reticle dots have on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I give a shit what you think about anything?

Just so you can be an "expert" to the people you like to school, the military uses MOA with the exception of the new USMC scope for the M40, its straight mils. The corrections on the rest of the scopes is MOA, they have a BDC that is in MOA corrections either 1/4, 1/2, or 1 MOA respectively. As a Sniper corrections are given in MOA, not clicks. Hold-off is in Mils using the reticule, or in terms understood by the team IE: Left, Lead Edge, Thin line of white, or a point on a target ie belt. There now you can sound intelligent.

Obviously not since you dont know what the f*** your talking about as usual. Dont get all butthurt, not my fault your were a Navy REMF.

Actually, I AM right, and you offer no proof to the contrary. Just childish insults that make you look like the one who is butthurt. [laugh]

Actually, I AM right, and you offer no proof to the contrary. Just childish insults that make you look like the one who is butthurt. [laugh]

Thats right, I know nothing. The scopes in use are only in mils, and Ive never even touched one. I was only an Army Sniper for 6 years and I double tapped it with my buddy who was a USMC High-Angle instructor for 3yrs to ensure the USMC did it the same. Take a look in FM 23-10, or the respective USMC 8541 manual. Or check this out, go do it. Get your B4 or 8541 then argue with me about Sniper operations.

Do I give a shit what you think about anything?

Pretty childish. Look dude your not Johnny expert on everything. You can flip out when someone who knows and does it tells you different. But you wont learn anything. Its pretty boring where I'm at so I'm looking forward to your entertainment for the evening. Does the M118LR have PETN in it also? Or, is the Ghillie suit really a cloaking device? Are you going to school me on terminal ballistics and head shots at 1500m? I want to learn that one with a .22lr, can you teach me?

Pretty sure it is for a good sniper. Think GySgt Carlos Hathcock.

Pretty sure it isnt. Thats beyond the max effective or on the max effective depending of the service train of thought you go by.

Is this the post I missed ?

I'll see your -3 and raise you a -7.

You really need to get laid, then perhaps you wouldn't be such an ass.

No tough guy, the one I was responding to. Im sorry your sensitive and my posts offend you. Its apparent you dont need to get laid, you just need a book, some tea and a good cuddle. Do you cry into your pillow at night when someone is mean to you at work? Thats horrible. I truly feel bad. Now ChetD already posted your picture a few pages back. So I guess you'll continue to cry that I corrected some misinformation about something I happen to do. Its horrible how mean I am I know. If you ever decide to go into a "fighting profession" I suggest you go to Costco and get some tissues first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom