M&P 15-22 jamming on spent brass. Ideas?

New gun (to me). Had about 20 of these failures today. Spent brass is getting caught by the bolt. There is a live round in the chamber. Any idea what would cause this or how to resolve?

I tried lubing the first round in the mag with Rem Oil but that did not help.

Properly ejected brass is going out at about 3:00.

I was shooting federal American eagle bulk.

3BE32E69-C301-4882-B0C9-17726C8EE21C.jpeg 92B2200F-C42D-4110-AF0A-7282868DBA0B.jpeg 8FF9825D-F462-4D6B-B5E5-7AFDF42BBA95.jpeg

My MP15-22 is real fussy about ammo, (like most AR 22cal clones). Try something really snappy like CCI Stingers or Remington Viper.

You mention that it is "new to you" which leads me to assume you just picked this up used. I don't mean to sound rude or insulting but did you give it a real good cleaning after you got it?

First off stop lubing ammo, 22lr is plenty lubed enough from the factory. Plus your 22lr only needs enough oil to prevent rust. A nice thin film.
the ejector is not doing its job, I just looked at my friends MP1522 and Im still stumped on the ejector design on this thing.
the video bwlow is not a repair its a twaek of a worn/poor design

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC8XRh8-8Ts

My MP15-22 is real fussy about ammo, (like most AR 22cal clones). Try something really snappy like CCI Stingers or Remington Viper.

You mention that it is "new to you" which leads me to assume you just picked this up used. I don't mean to sound rude or insulting but did you give it a real good cleaning after you got it?[/QUOTE

Yes, gave it a good cleaning. Not the first time I have shot it, but first I have run into this issue.

First off stop lubing ammo, 22lr is plenty lubed enough from the factory. Plus your 22lr only needs enough oil to prevent rust. A nice thin film.
the ejector is not doing its job, I just looked at my friends MP1522 and Im still stumped on the ejector design on this thing.
the video bwlow is not a repair its a twaek of a worn/poor design

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC8XRh8-8Ts

Thank you for this video! I’ll give it a try

I switched to cci and haven’t had a problem since. Stinks that’s it’s ammo sensitive.
its actually a little sad that modern 22lr firearms are so ammo picky? I have a few 50 plus year old semi auto rifles that you can stuff shorts,longs,LR in any order in the tube and it will cycle. Im not that old but even when I was a kid 22lr was alot worse and did not have as many problems as I see today. Is it the guns, ammo ? IDK but theres no real excuse why a 132 year old cartridge and basic design of the "22" cant go with out issues?
To bad Stevens fell from its graces they made some good 22s back in the day

they are ammo picky, try cci stingers and go from there. if it hasn't been shot much before you got it then shoot a few boxes of stingers as a break in and then try other ammo.

My 10/22 was having same issue a few weeks ago with American eagle. Switched to blazer 22 and zero issues, even with 25 rnd mag dumps. Some ammo doesn’t consistently have the balls to cycle the gun.

The recall is for the firing pin, the weapon fires out of battery. Nothing to do with the extractor. That firearm has a problem, If you don't feel capable of changing the extractor S&W, or a reputable gunsmith should take a look at it the extractor isn't extracting the shell fast or hard enough.

The extractor in a blowback action does nothing. If the empty case were not expelled from the chamber under the force of the expanding gas, the bolt would not go back. The extractor only functions to extract an unfired round when you open the bolt.

IME, the two most frequent causes of failure to eject are: 1) something in the receiver or bolt impeding the rearward travel of the bolt so that it does not open sufficiently to eject the spent case; and 2) the shooter not holding the rifle securely enough. In the second case, movement of the receiver "follows"the bolt so that relative to the receiver the bolt does not open sufficiently, or off-axis movement of the receiver causes the spent case to hit something inside the receiver before it can be thrown clear by the ejector.

The extractor in a blowback action does nothing. If the empty case were not expelled from the chamber under the force of the expanding gas, the bolt would not go back. The extractor only functions to extract an unfired round when you open the bolt.

IME, the two most frequent causes of failure to eject are: 1) something in the receiver or bolt impeding the rearward travel of the bolt so that it does not open sufficiently to eject the spent case; and 2) the shooter not holding the rifle securely enough. In the second case, movement of the receiver "follows"the bolt so that relative to the receiver the bolt does not open sufficiently, or off-axis movement of the receiver causes the spent case to hit something inside the receiver before it can be thrown clear by the ejector.
I can buy “limp wristing “ on a small semi auto pistol but not on a rifle. The weight of the rifle should be plenty enough “mass” to not impede the bolt function.
In 30 years I find most 22lr malfunction from the crud/slurry created from the 22lr fouling mixed with excessive lube and then magazine issues.
If a 100 year old gallery gun can cycle using 22 shorts there is very little reason other than shit quality ammo or manufacturing to keep a SV 22lr from functioning.
IF i get some time to dig out the old 22s I will post some videos of my old pos rifles shooting shorts and LR with out issue
I will also shoot my 22lr AR upper with out any support to see if it cycles

I have seen it. Not saying it's the issue in this case. I have also learned that it is foolish to diagnose a malfunction with any certainty based solely on forum posts, and that there is a lot of "fake news" in the conventional wisdom.

That ain't your grandpapi's shotgun![smile]
Hold it tighter to your shoulder.
My son can jam mine when he holds it loosely!
Especially with some of the weaker 22LR.

The above statement is not correct. You are correct that in a blowback action, the case will be expelled from the chamber by pressure. But that does not mean that the action will function correctly.

In many blowback semi-autos, the extractor helps hold the brass in place to be sure that it will strike the ejector firmly. Having the spent brass strike the ejector in a consistent manner insures that the brass will be ejected clear of the action. If the extractor is defective, the brass may remain in the action and then jam the bolt as it comes forward. Ruger Mark .22 pistols are particularly prone to this type of jam, and I have fixed several of them by installing aftermarket toolsteel extractors.

As an aside, you are correct that it is possible to design a blowback semi-auto where the only need for the extractor is to extract live rounds. In fact, the Beretta tip-up barrel pistols do not have an extractor. They were designed to extract and eject without an extractor, and live rounds can be removed by releasing the tip up barrel. This action has been successfully designed to work well, but it leads to a strange manual of arms. You cannot do a tap and rack drill in response to a misfire, because the misfired round will never extract, and racking the slide will result in a double feed.

I have now digressed a bit from the subject of this thread, so get back on track, I will just say that it is quite possible that the extractor is a contributing factor to the jams which are the subject of this thread.

I have tested numerous clean, factory-spec .22LR semiautos by removing the extractor and firing the firearm until the magazine was empty. In every case, it continued to eject perfectly. In rifles which had problems, the causes were either as I described above, or ammo that did not fit well in a tight, match-grade (non-SAAMI Sporter) chamber.

But I don't like peeing contests in forums, so I'll just say, "Watevs..."

Winner winner chicken dinner:
Exact Edge Extractor for S&W M&P 15-22 | Volquartsen Firearms

This little part did the trick. "The geometry has been changed to provide positive ejection every time."
Ran almost flawlessly yesterday with just a few duds. Not a single ejection problem though.
Exactly what I did in my wife’s but I ended up liking the KIDD one better , the Volquartsen gave me 5 failure to eject in. Box of 100, not good in my book so I bought the KIDD to try since it’s only 12 bucks I figured try it. And low and behold after 900 rounds not one issue.
This was in the 10/22

Why would I want that fixed?

My Sig 522 is also picky about ammo, it'll do that (not every time but every 20-30 rounds).
If you have your tax stamp you wouldn’t I guess, but I do not so I want it fixed.

Even if it were legal I really don’t want a rifle that goes into random/intermittent full auto blasts. But maybe that is just me.

New gun (to me). Had about 20 of these failures today. Spent brass is getting caught by the bolt. There is a live round in the chamber. Any idea what would cause this or how to resolve?

I tried lubing the first round in the mag with Rem Oil but that did not help.

Properly ejected brass is going out at about 3:00.

I was shooting federal American eagle bulk.

View attachment 280808 View attachment 280809 View attachment 280810

You lubed your ammo! That will cause failures.

If you have your tax stamp you wouldn’t I guess, but I do not so I want it fixed.

Even if it were legal I really don’t want a rifle that goes into random/intermittent full auto blasts. But maybe that is just me.

Yeah I was just joking. Kinda.

Back
Top Bottom