• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P 40 Failing to Feed

Hi everyone. I know the M&P is a popular choice so I am hoping someone has some experience with the FTF. I purchased the 40 in the beginning of October and finally got it to the range yesterday. I put a hundred rounds through it and had a FTF issue 1-2 times per 10 rounds. A simple tap on the mag would complete the cycle and chamber the round but the problem was continuous.

I did clean and lube the firearm last weekend and know there is a break in period but the failure rate seems too high for a new firearm. Anyone have an idea what could be causing this? The extractor seems likely since it appears to be incredibly stiff and does not leave much room for the actual casing to slide in behind it.

Hi everyone. I know the M&P is a popular choice so I am hoping someone has some experience with the FTF. I purchased the 40 in the beginning of October and finally got it to the range yesterday. I put a hundred rounds through it and had a FTF issue 1-2 times per 10 rounds. A simple tap on the mag would complete the cycle and chamber the round but the problem was continuous.

I did clean and lube the firearm last weekend and know there is a break in period but the failure rate seems too high for a new firearm. Anyone have an idea what could be causing this? The extractor seems likely since it appears to be incredibly stiff and does not leave much room for the actual casing to slide in behind it.

You nailed it. If you have a small file, get in there and break the edges or hit it with some heavy grit and then fine grit sand paper. After another 100 rounds it should be good to go.

I wouldn't touch anything. If a tap on the mag will solve the problem, then a break in will most likely cure it. 500 rounds or so.

I agree with Gammon. Give it more time. I have an M&P 9c, and FS 45 that needed a little coaxing to break in. I figure my M&Ps started performing flawlessly within 600-1000 rounds.

If you can tap the magazine and send the round home, the gun may need the extractor tuned, the feed ramp polished or you may be limp wristing the gun during firing. It's possible that continuing to shoot the gun will solve the issue as the parts may wear enough to allow the gun to function.

Back
Top Bottom