M&P trigger job

So I'm seriously considering purchasing an m&p, and I know the MA trigger is god awful. Does anyone know about how much a decent trigger job would cost?

About 90 bucks if you buy the kit from Apex Tactical and install it yourself, that's what I have done with my M&Ps. I don't know what a smithy would cost you however.

No idea where you are but here's some estimates (from a year or two ago, so prices may have increased slightly):

Greg Derr-Marshfield (did a great job on mine) - last I heard he charged ~$75

Mike Larocca-Worcester - $125

Dave Santurri-N. Attleboro - ~$85

Remsport-Ludlow - no idea

I had the full Apex DCAEK and RAM put in my M&P9c at First Defense Firearms in Uxbridge. Basically msrp on the parts, and $45 cash to have it installed (by someone they work with). *For me* it was worth it to pay to have it done right. It's like a whole new gun now.

I am still a bit of a noob to the inside of handguns, so I had Lou at BEC put the APEX in my M&P9c last year. Just the price of the kit plus $40-$45 (think of it as less than 10% cost of gun). Probably not much difference from the gunsmith job, but you can always replace parts or sell/trade it in the future as having the APEX kit prof. installed which is a known item.

Also, you find many used M&Ps with APEX already in them...Four Seasons in Woburn for sure.

Is this a simple enough task for a newbie gun owner to do? Or should it be left to a professional?

It's not too bad - Apex has some youtube videos up that you can check out to get an idea of the install, plus their customer service is awesome. The worse part is getting the trigger block back in with all of the springs not flying away. I actually found that by taking the pistol apart I learned a lot more about it's operation.

http://www.youtube.com/user/apextactical/videos

If you check Cheaper Than Dirt, the trigger kit is $73 and the RAM kit is $20 (before shipping = +12 bucks!). Just ordered both myself and plan to install them next week when they arrive. I don't think it will be too much trouble for someone with some mechanical inclination. I'll let you know how it goes, but the consensus seems to be that it is well worth it. After a few hundred rounds with the heavy trigger I'm ready to lighten it up a bit.

Bought my first two guns on the same day, a Ruger MK3 and an M&P 9. It took less time to install the Apex kit than to clean and reassemble the Ruger. The most time consuming part is finding the spring that they warn you not to lose!

Last I heard, Larocca would not do modifications to a MA compliant trigger.

Totally UNTRUE!

I asked Mike directly last time I saw him and he told me he works on MA guns all the time. No problem.

No law (yet) prohibits gunsmiths from doing whatever the customer wants to their gun.

Totally UNTRUE!

I asked Mike directly last time I saw him and he told me he works on MA guns all the time. No problem.

No law (yet) prohibits gunsmiths from doing whatever the customer wants to their gun.

Thanks for correcting me LenS. I had read in another thread that he wouldn't work on them and was kind of dissapointed as he is one of the best in my area.

Anyone ever had any warranty issues with a trigger job vs APEX parts?

I had John at Remsport install my Apex kit - he is a S&W certified gunsmith so it won't void the warranty.

I had to return my M&P since the slide rail split on me and had no issues with the Smith and Wesson Warranty.

No idea where you are but here's some estimates (from a year or two ago, so prices may have increased slightly):

Greg Derr-Marshfield (did a great job on mine) - last I heard he charged ~$75 +3 (had him do 3 for me, 2 on my M&Ps)

Mike Larocca-Worcester - $125

Dave Santurri-N. Attleboro - ~$85

Remsport-Ludlow - no idea

I'll probably just bring it to remsport, ludlows only 30 min away from me and I don't want something non-trigger related to fail and have a voided warranty

Back
Top Bottom