• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M & P Trigger job

Still waiting on my LTC (6 weeks) so I haven't bought a gun yet. A S&W M&P 9 is on my shopping list. I have been reading here about Apex trigger jobs and my question is If I have that done and at some point decide to sell it does it have to be brought back to the MA trigger weight. Thanks for your help.

Joeb41

A good option for the apex is Tim over at Gartman arms in wrentham. He was one of the smiths at 1776 gunsmithing and does great work.

If you're interested in learning how the gun works, I'd suggest giving it a try on your own. It's not that hard and it's (to me) fun. Like others said, no worries about returning it to stock.

Meh on the Glock as the only single stack is the 43 and i'll carry the shield over the 43 any day.
from someone who has/had most subs. the more you carry it and use it, it will become a part of you. Just a pic to compare some subs
IMG_1451.JPG

Last edited:
http://www.burwellguns.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf

IMO, if you're going to buy an M&P with the idea of putting an APEX in it, you're really saying what you want is a Glock. So skip the S&W.

From a guy who has had both.

Burwell does awesome work but you pay more to ship it to him than the cost of the work!

Greg Derr (he did a trigger job on multiple M&Ps of mine) did awesome work as well for less than you'll pay for the stock Apex kit!

Ditto for Dave Santurri who did the trigger job on my M&P 9c for the prior owner.

Both do quick work and cheaper than replacing parts.

Glock's "one size fits all" approach to their guns does not fit everyone's hands. My Wife and I own 3 Gen 2s and they just don't fit our hands. I use them for teaching classes but otherwise I'd sell them and do intend to sell the G23 (as redundant with my G22 for training purposes).

Len, I have a M&P 40C with APEX DCAEK, RAM and the mag safety disconnect (with only a couple hundred down the pipe) and 4 mags I'd trade for the G23 if and when you are interested.

Sorry for the derail, to get back on track the APEX DCAEK was very noticeable compared to the stock set up.

Sorry for the derail, to get back on track the APEX DCAEK was very noticeable compared to the stock set up.

This was my experience with 2008 era units - I understand the more recent models have undergone some improvements with reset - but not pull weights!, due to AG etc. regs.

The DAECK kits drop the pull to about 5 +/- pounds of pull - YMMV

Also, changing out the trigger itself may force you into a different class if you decide to IDPA/USPSA/AlphabetSoupGame competition. I strongly suggest the individuals understand what the changes mean from a self defense perspective as well as a competition perspective. As a self defense oriented person, the various rules for competition forced me into a class/division/category that I was unaware was important. I still shot, had fun and got frustrated (with myself) and learned to shoot better but the official games rules have their own set of definitions from each other.

For folks entering the official competition world, show up and shoot one - it's basically like learning baseball at a pick up game - you won;t know you broke a rule until you break one, then 10 guys will help correct you. It's embarrassing if you let it but everyone I've met at meets are very helpful and want new guys to come back - the only reason I haven't is because of my schedule.

Sorry for the side track - to sum up:
DAECK are great
Other mods have implications - know them, it's on you to defend in court should the need arise. Especially in a dedicated defensive pistol.
Be smart about things and work in your comfort zone.

Len, I have a M&P 40C with APEX DCAEK, RAM and the mag safety disconnect (with only a couple hundred down the pipe) and 4 mags I'd trade for the G23 if and when you are interested.

Thanks but I plan on shedding 3 of my 40S&W handguns along with 2 ammo cans full of ammo that I recently unearthed. I already have 3 M&P 9s (all 3 versions) and the 45 Full Sized gun. All have Derr or Santurri trigger jobs and run great.

DAECK are great
Other mods have implications - know them, it's on you to defend in court should the need arise. Especially in a dedicated defensive pistol.
Be smart about things and work in your comfort zone.

That is a pure crock of shit. Modifying a trigger to a ~5# pull isn't going to be a big deal in a self-defense case. The fact that you used a gun to defend yourself will be a big deal and requires a very smart gun law knowledgeable firearms attorney.

Yes you are fine and they are extremely easy to diy. Striker fired trigger jobs are a piece of cake.

That is a pure crock of shit. Modifying a trigger to a ~5# pull isn't going to be a big deal in a self-defense case. The fact that you used a gun to defend yourself will be a big deal and requires a very smart gun law knowledgeable firearms attorney.

Sir - Allow me to clarify:
There are those who will say that simply because you modified your firearm you are of a certain disposition - lets call those folks "Ayoobs"

And then there are others who have a different opinion.

You and I are in the "Different opinion" category

It's not an argument or discussion for either of us - it's a simple point of fact for the OP to know and investigate for his or herself. I'll let you discuss it all with him from here on in.

The Apex DAECK is a great add to the M&P, especially if you like the grip angle over the Glock - that said I shoot Glocks well but prefer the M&P better - not best, just better between the 2 types, something to consider if you have not made your first purchase yet.

Sir - Allow me to clarify: There are those who will say that simply because you modified your firearm you are of a certain disposition - lets call those folks "Ayoobs" And then there are others who have a different opinion. You and I are in the "Different opinion" category It's not an argument or discussion for either of us - it's a simple point of fact for the OP to know and investigate for his or herself. I'll let you discuss it all with him from here on in. The Apex DAECK is a great add to the M&P, especially if you like the grip angle over the Glock - that said I shoot Glocks well but prefer the M&P better - not best, just better between the 2 types, something to consider if you have not made your first purchase yet.

That's not what Ayoob teaches. He has nothing against trigger jobs or weapon modifications and sarcasm born out of a lack of critical reading skills or opinion not honed as an expert witness in dozens of court cases will be shall we say: less informed opinion.

Generally speaking Ayoob or any of the leading self defense experts will not recommend a trigger for personal defense less than 4 - 41/2 lbs range. That's within spec for most handguns. It may or may not be relevant to deactivate certain safety devices on a pistol such as a grip safety or a magazine safety. Maybe a prosecutor would use this or maybe not. Some gunsmiths will not deactivate these devices for liability reasons. I know that C&S has a Hi Power replacement trigger that when replaced eliminates the mag safety and there are 1911 grip safeties that do not function, I think Robar makes one. Simple thing: don't like those features, don't use a gun that has them.

There is nothing wrong with a trigger job, making a trigger too light on a defensive pistol however is simply not a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom