• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 30 Caliber Carbine

Do a little research as to what are real GI models or made with real GI parts.
Watch out for the "Universal" M1 carbine models, they were cheesy knock-offs.

Good luck finding .30 carbine ammo for the next year or two. There's a real supply chain issue at the moment.
:(

Do a little research as to what are real GI models or made with real GI parts.
Watch out for the "Universal" M1 carbine models, they were cheesy knock-offs.

Good luck finding .30 carbine ammo for the next year or two. There's a real supply chain issue at the moment.
:(
your not looking, theres even some Korean 30 carbine surplus still floating around on clips and bandoleers!

Last edited:
I don't know what brought it on but suddenly I need to get a 30 carbine. I've never been a milsurp guy but for some reason I've got the itch. Anybody know a shop that might stock them? The only thing that comes to my mind is Pack & Postal which I'll try tomorrow.
I dont recall the price but hunters in weymouth had one a bit ago?
I would go straight to pack and postal!

I owned one of these for many years. I loved it. I'd be happy to pick up another one, but to be honest there are a lot of other firearms I've got that do the same thing just as well, if not better.

I don’t know about the rifle, but I still love shooting my AMT Automag III... it’s accurate, pleasant to shoot and the .30 Carbine ammo out of a 6 inch pistol makes the most satisfying boom and giant muzzle blast 💥!
WANT! I've got a ton of 30 carbine ammo and don't shoot my M1 carbine much. Would be nice to get a pistol to shoot that ammo...

There's a few online but I've read too many reviews saying they're not reliable in feeding.

Last edited:
B&K Sales in Natick had 3-4 of them for sale last time I was in there. Maybe a month ago.

Years and years ago, right after the CMP sold out, I found out that there was a company that made a Gatling gun out of 2 of them. Damn. I would have totally done that. I wanna say the unit was $800 or something including the tripod. You put 2 receivers into the device and load 2 30rd mags. Crank and have at it!

I'm sure it would be double-secret illegal now somehow. Same company made a 10/22 version that was very popular back then. But this seemed to have more oomf. LOL

Back then - 20-something years??? - I was Unwilling to pay $450 for a M1Carbean. Dammitall. I should have just bought 2. Or even just one. Stupid me.

WANT! I've got a ton of 30 carbine ammo and don't shoot my M1 carbine much. Would be nice to get a pistol to shoot that ammo...

There's a few online but I've read too many reviews saying they're not reliable in feeding.

To be honest it’s not a Glock or a Sig. This has been my experience, if well cleaned and using brass ammo it’s good to reliably feed 100-150 rounds before the chamber starts to get dirty, then you start to experience periodic failures to fully feed and you need to force the slide forward. With steel cased ammo the above is true and at some point the cases will fail to extract and you will need to force the case out by tapping it with a cleaning rod... I still like it, and use some steel ammo for Target shooting.

The guy that mentioned four seasons having a used one is correct. I was there a few weeks ago doing a transfer and I picked up the 30 carbine while I was waiting. It was in pretty good condition.

There were a whole slew of them that came in from Ethiopia recently. They had been there since WWII and many were even untouched by post-war depot modifications. I heard another batch may be coming over, but I’m not certain.

It's all FMJ tho, the best .30 Carbine ammo is soft points. IDK how available JSP's are tho for .30 Carbine right now tho.

Hornady Critical Defense is better than soft point. The best I’ve shot is LeHigh/Underwood 85gr Xtreme Cavitator. Fantastic wound channels and the most precise 30 carbine ammo I’ve shot. That said, it has a considerably different POI than most 110 30 carbine ammo. And M1 carbine iron sights aren’t adjustable enough to account for it. So you’d want a red dot on an ultimak rail or something.

I owned one of these for many years. I loved it. I'd be happy to pick up another one, but to be honest there are a lot of other firearms I've got that do the same thing just as well, if not better.

Too true. It’s fun, but while it has almost no recoil, it does have more muzzle flip than you’d expect. It’s small and light, but you can setup small and light ARs that are just as low recoil yet considerably more effective. Oh, and mag reliability... oof. Even my 15 rounders with fresh wolf springs, I wouldn’t trust them with my life if I had a choice.

Still, I love the little carbine.

Looks like there are 8 from Ethiopia, in stock, here:

Good pricing for the “good” condition Inlands. The other grades get a little pricey.

I don't know what brought it on but suddenly I need to get a 30 carbine. I've never been a milsurp guy but for some reason I've got the itch. Anybody know a shop that might stock them? The only thing that comes to my mind is Pack & Postal which I'll try tomorrow.
you will love it and they will actually group at 100 yds., but see them around now for $1300. i only paid $150: 1984 dcm gun LOL. cabelas in hudson had some herters soft point wed.

I had a M1 Carbine I won from a GOAL raffle. Auto Ordnance, so new construction.

It jammed. A lot. And the ammo was expensive for what it is. It was fun for a hundred yards and in, but wasn't particular accurate either.

I sold it to an NES member to finance an AR build. It's dead nuts reliable, shoots a wider variety of better ammo, and just gives me more joy.

I had a M1 Carbine I won from a GOAL raffle. Auto Ordnance, so new construction.

It jammed. A lot. And the ammo was expensive for what it is. It was fun for a hundred yards and in, but wasn't particular accurate either.

For new, I wouldn’t go anywhere but Fulton Armory.

I’ve been lucky for reliability and accuracy though. On my WWII Standard Products, I did a spring refresh for the gun and mags from wolf springs and it has been very reliable. It also shoots within 2 MOA with decent ammo, despite being a Blue Sky import with the import stamp on the barrel.

Last edited:
I have 1k Lake City cases untouched for $100 if anyone is interested. Mixed lots. PM me.

ETA: For those who think "cases" are live rounds, stop drinking. [laugh]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom